Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2015, 09:43   #11
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Just been out for a quick look. The drains at the bottoms of the doors are not blocked and are at the bottom of the door skin any way so any water would drain over the outside of the sill.

Under the rear seat squab is also dry and so is the spare wheel well.

The only places I haven't checked yet (because of the weather) is the plenum and the wells either side of the spare wheel well.

It is definitely not get in through the sun roof: it is completely taped over.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:24   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Just been out for a quick look. The drains at the bottoms of the doors are not blocked and are at the bottom of the door skin any way so any water would drain over the outside of the sill.

Under the rear seat squab is also dry and so is the spare wheel well.

The only places I haven't checked yet (because of the weather) is the plenum and the wells either side of the spare wheel well.

Quote:
It is definitely not get in through the sun roof: it is completely taped over
Jonathan it as most likely got in before you taped it up, and is so saturated it is now showing up, you really do need to lift the carpets, check the plenums, Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:42   #13
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Jonathan it as most likely got in before you taped it up, and is so saturated it is now showing up, you really do need to lift the carpets, check the plenums, Arctic.
Thanks for that but it cannot be the case. I have mopped the rear carpet out 3 times now since taping up the sunroof. Unless the water has found a way of reproduction it is getting in somewhere else. I just don't know where.
The previous owner (from new) said he always had a problem with "the sun leaking" ever since it was nearly new. The dealer and, later his mechanic had countless goes at stopping the sunroof leaking, dropping the roof lining etc but nothing worked. Since I taped it up I'm certain that it was never the sunroof leaking. If it was they would have fixed it.
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:12   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Thanks for that but it cannot be the case. I have mopped the rear carpet out 3 times now since taping up the sunroof. Unless the water has found a way of reproduction it is getting in somewhere else. I just don't know where.
Quote:
The previous owner (from new) said he always had a problem with "the sun leaking" ever since it was nearly new. The dealer and, later his mechanic had countless goes at stopping the sunroof leaking, dropping the roof lining etc but nothing worked. Since I taped it up I'm certain that it was never the sunroof leaking. If it was they would have fixed it
Jonathan.
If it was the sunroof it's self leaking I am sure the headlining would show marks to that effect.

If the original owner was having trouble and now you are it will be a build up of water soaked into the carpet so when you get in your feet will squeeze the water out, have you managed to lift the front or the rear of the carpet to check yet, if not please do as you may find this as I did.
http://youtu.be/qAZW71691Tk

http://youtu.be/OFEMDlejjiU

http://youtu.be/ktfz_e4eCV8

When do check it out and find the leak also do these jobs

Ducks bill in the wheel arch
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...118622&page=15

Scuttle sealing clips
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3&postcount=61

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:13   #15
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

You are assuming your seal is perfect. It might well be, but then again it might not.

As long as you are not willing to challenge your own assumptions, you have a major blind spot in solving the issue.

Why don't you just check all the points made here?, then there is nothing to argue about.

Combined it amounts to maybe 50 years of Rover ownership experience, or more.

That is something I would take seriously.
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:12   #16
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
You are assuming your seal is perfect. It might well be, but then again it might not.

As long as you are not willing to challenge your own assumptions, you have a major blind spot in solving the issue.

Why don't you just check all the points made here?, then there is nothing to argue about.

Combined it amounts to maybe 50 years of Rover ownership experience, or more.

That is something I would take seriously.
First of all, I have challenged my own assumption. I have checked and double checked that the sunroof is securely taped up. I don't have a blind spot.
Second, apart from the plenum I have checked all the points made here. And no one is arguing.
Third, I do take 50 years of owner ship seriously. Add to that my own 30 something years.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions but just take the word of someone with decades of practical experience: this water is NOT getting in through or around the sunroof or it's drain hole. And it isn't water that has slowly built up and is now showing its self when my feet press into the carpet. Every time it rains there is a puddle of water OVER the carpet in the rear foot well.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone had any suggestion other than the sunroof so that I could go straight to it when I finally get the car on the workshop.

Thanks guys. Have a great christmas.
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:22   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I must have missed you checking the sun roof drain connector behind the carpet, but glad you have done it.

I am waiting with great anticipation for the thing to be solved.

Enjoy your Christmas too.
Old 25th December 2015, 08:37   #18
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Just a shot in the dark here as I am far from an expert:
If the plenum is dry or not flooded, is the rubber drain plug down there still in place??
I heard that when the rubber plug has been removed water can get between the floor double skin.
I hope you find your solution, it can be more than just frustrating and I know how you feel being unable to "fix" your issue.
Good luck Jonathan.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote