Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2012, 15:33   #1
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Default Adhesive for sticking wood trim

Simon has been selling stick on wood effect items for sometime, unfortuntely he can no longer provide the light Oak effect as the material is no longer available. I have purchased some burr light Oak veneer to cover all the usual items. The problem I have is deciding which type of glue to use. The veneer will be stuck to plastic components so therefore I need a glue that not only will stick but resist in-car temperatures that could cause the veneer to bubble. I have seen a suggestion that epoxy resin (presumably the same stuff an in the glass fibre process) is suitable.

Any other ideas.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:35   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Between teaching woodwork and owning a shopfitting and cabinetmaking concern, the only glue I have used for veneering small articles is contact adhesive. I am not talking about the stuff in a tube, but industrial stuff that homebase etc will not sell.

The indusrty standard is hot melt glue applied under heat and pressure. Again not the low temperature stuff used in the average glue gun.

An epoxy will work, as long as it is allowed to dry under pressure for an appropriate lenght of time. Also be carefull of the resin working its way through the grain, as the varnish will show it up.
Use a polyurethane varnish as well.

Hope that helps.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:42   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

I would suggest that you find some thin,flexible double sided tape.Something thin enough to cover the complete panel and a cushion effect to adhere to the contours.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:47   #4
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Between teaching woodwork and owning a shopfitting and cabinetmaking concern, the only glue I have used for veneering small articles is contact adhesive. I am not talking about the stuff in a tube, but industrial stuff that homebase etc will not sell.

The indusrty standard is hot melt glue applied under heat and pressure. Again not the low temperature stuff used in the average glue gun.

An epoxy will work, as long as it is allowed to dry under pressure for an appropriate lenght of time. Also be carefull of the resin working its way through the grain, as the varnish will show it up.
Use a polyurethane varnish as well.

Hope that helps.
That's what concerns me, the epoxy resin coming through the veneer. Perhaps a sealer on the underside first, but then it might curl.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:58   #5
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quite correct, anything applied to a veneer product should be applied to both side to prevent unequal surface tension. That is why contact adhesive works so well, but difficult to work with. Try a couple of off-cuts.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote