Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2012, 08:49   #1
BT@Home
Loves to post

'99 Club CDT / '03 ZT-T + CDTi

Default Under Bonnet fuel pump and relays

So I did a search and found these symptoms from a few other members but didn't really understand where the original problem is.

In the last 3 weeks the battery on the ZTT CDTi has drained overnight twice. The first time was a mystery, no idea what it could have been been and it worked fine as soon as it was charged. The second time I swapped out the battery with a fully charged spare, and immediately noticed the fuel pump running all the time even with ignition off. Some investigation results in finding diesel on the fuse board too. So after cleaning up the board and the relay the running on of the pump goes away. Problem is there was clearly a problem causing the diesel to be pumped up the wiring to flood the board/relay.

So is the pump at fault for overrunning and then pumping the diesel up the wiring, is it a leaky pump that is caused from the overrunning, or is the relay at fault for staying open and causing the pump to continue running?

Don't really want to drive the car without knowing the solution/problem and even though it appears fine at the moment I wonder what it is that is causing the fault to occur every so often.
BT@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 09:07   #2
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Is your plenum chamber dry ????
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 09:09   #3
BT@Home
Loves to post

Bone dry plenums.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:50   #4
75 Ken

Rover 75 saloon

The under bonnet pump is faulty. If you take out the connector on the top of the pump you will see that the pump main seal is letting diesel pass into the base of the connector. Diesel runs along the wire and fills up the relay which then jams on. Sounds unbelievable but happens. Need new pump and relay Takes a long time for diesel in wiring to clear. The relay will be full of diesel. You can swop with one of the similar adjacent ones until you obtain a replacement relay.

Last edited by 75 Ken; 6th June 2012 at 10:15.. Reason: Error at end ditvise on replacement relay
75 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 09:55   #5
BT@Home
Loves to post

Yeah, that connector was the first thing I unplugged, and noticed the fuel.

So it's the pump that leaks that then causes the wiring/relay to become flooded, causing the overrunning ... And so a never ending circle

Cheers
Old 6th June 2012, 10:18   #6
75 Ken

Rover 75 saloon

That's my belief. Happened after 6 hour motorway drive. Changed pump and relay 10K latter still no problem.
75 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote