Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2019, 17:16   #191
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Hi Matthew, nice to see your on here too
There is a place on eBay that does the rear plates with logos and text but unfortunately can't find it at the moment
You can't find it? the person you are thinking of is Hardridden

They have nothing for sale at the moment, probably due to a crackdown on illegal number plate suppliers.

It's no great loss though, the quality of the smiley plates he supplied were.......shall we say questionable

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 17:18   #192
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Hi Matthew, nice to see your on here too
There is a place on eBay that does the rear plates with logos and text but unfortunately can't find it at the moment
Look at my previous post

Brian
Old 8th February 2019, 20:38   #193
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You can't find it? the person you are thinking of is Hardridden

They have nothing for sale at the moment, probably due to a crackdown on illegal number plate suppliers.

It's no great loss though, the quality of the smiley plates he supplied were.......shall we say questionable

Brian
Brian, Ken's method of making plates is no different from any number plate supplier who uses the reflective on ABS plastic.

My set of plates from Ken are two years old and still look good with no delamination, the rear smiley plate is made using yellow reflective on ABS plastic, the front plate is white reflective behind clear acrylic, which is the preferred method.

Its becoming harder to source the smiley shape plate for our cars in clear acyclic, hence why some suppliers will use the cheaper ABS material as its easier to obtain.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 21:52   #194
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Brian, Ken's method of making plates is no different from any number plate supplier who uses the reflective on ABS plastic.

My set of plates from Ken are two years old and still look good with no delamination, the rear smiley plate is made using yellow reflective on ABS plastic, the front plate is white reflective behind clear acrylic, which is the preferred method.

Its becoming harder to source the smiley shape plate for our cars in clear acyclic, hence why some suppliers will use the cheaper ABS material as its easier to obtain.
In regard to the acrylic blank Wes, it's exactly the same as the one used for the new Range Rover, and if you compare the ones made by a legitimate number plate supplier, with over 30 years of supplying number plates to the trade, the difference is clear

The Hardridden smiley I had made for the old ZT lasted about 18 months before blistering and generally looking unsightly.

I've been tonight to bleed the clutch on a local members car, and his Hardridden plate is delaminating badly.

The seller I linked to is prepared to supply mail order, provided scans of the necessary documentation is emailed to them.

I lost the plate on the rear of the duotone while on holiday last year, and not having the V5 with me couldn't get a plate made easily.

However Andrew Page supplied me with what was described as a "temporary" number plate.

Guess what, it was exactly the same in construction and material as the rubbish one I'd bought from Ken.

When speaking to Paul at Alidrew Engineering, a figure of circa £40 for both front and rear plates, made to comply with BS AU 145d and they have the MG Rover logo on file, which was duplicated at my request from an original MG Press garage car plate

Brian
Old 8th February 2019, 22:53   #195
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
In regard to the acrylic blank Wes, it's exactly the same as the one used for the new Range Rover, and if you compare the ones made by a legitimate number plate supplier, with over 30 years of supplying number plates to the trade, the difference is clear

The Hardridden smiley I had made for the old ZT lasted about 18 months before blistering and generally looking unsightly.

I've been tonight to bleed the clutch on a local members car, and his Hardridden plate is delaminating badly.

The seller I linked to is prepared to supply mail order, provided scans of the necessary documentation is emailed to them.

I lost the plate on the rear of the duotone while on holiday last year, and not having the V5 with me couldn't get a plate made easily.

However Andrew Page supplied me with what was described as a "temporary" number plate.

Guess what, it was exactly the same in construction and material as the rubbish one I'd bought from Ken.

When speaking to Paul at Alidrew Engineering, a figure of circa £40 for both front and rear plates, made to comply with BS AU 145d and they have the MG Rover logo on file, which was duplicated at my request from an original MG Press garage car plate

Brian
Thanks for the link Bri, its certainly good to know Alidrew Number Plates are making the rear smiley clear acrylic plate for our motors.

We should have a 'sticky' which shows number plate suppliers that can supply the rear smiley plate.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2019, 08:26   #196
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

A "proper" and original plate!

20 years old and a very slight delamination around the screw hole!
Old 28th February 2019, 09:25   #197
AnonDC

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
I am thinking of getting a ZT and have a private plate to transfer onto the potential new car. So I'll need a new plate for the front and an oval one for the rear. As I am fussy, I would like it to have the MG ROVER GROUP LTD text and the Viking/Octagon logos as fitted to press cars and those direct from MG Rover.

So does anyone know of a company that will do a plate like this? I have heard that recent legislation has outlawed logos from plates but I am sure that a 'show' plate in the standard font will go unnoticed.
Have you tried https://www.netplates.co.uk/, they have so many number plates and it wheres i got my first one
AnonDC is offline   Reply With Quote