Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st August 2018, 19:29   #41
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

A significant factor was the resale value - worse than Renault! This meant that for company car contracts the lack of any real value after 100k miles and or 3 years compared to BMW, Audi for Rover cars and the reasonable resale values of Ford or Vauxhall compared to a BL car meant that the monthly lease costs for a car that was virtually worthless at the end of its lease was so high that the significant company car market ceased to exist for Rover Group.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 20:08   #42
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
Someone on this thread suggests that the Germans have got reliability nailed.

I would beg to differ. They are good at hiding it.

If that was my post I suggested that the Japanese have it nailed - NOT the Germans.

There is a very strong "aura" and PR job around the German marques but a quick trawl through a few forums shows this is all it is. Their reliability and build quality doesn't seem to really stack up. Maybe it's just the "it's only the bad ones that get discussed" thing .

You pays your money & takes your choice. Personally I would head Japanese rather than German for reliability .

This makes for interesting reading: https://www.ccbenz.co.uk/?page_id=265

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 31st August 2018 at 20:15..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 20:12   #43
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
If that was my post I suggested that the Japanese have it nailed - NOT the Germans.

There is a very strong "aura" and PR job around the German marques but a quick trawl through a few forums shows this is all it is. Their reliability and build quality doesn't seem to really stack up. Maybe it's just the "it's only the bad ones that get discussed" thing .

You pays your money & takes your choice. Personally I would head Japanese rather than German for reliability .

Andy.
Sorry Andy, my skim reading powers are fading, must try harder next time. Hope the roof bars are ok?
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 07:04   #44
mbev51
Banned

Removed

In countries where dependerbility counts, it's old jap vehicles. I did a trip in a 4wd across the salar de uyuni in Bolivia, guess what they used? Old land cruisers, the one I was in was a '96. They wouldn't use a modern one. Modern european stuff may just be ok for first owner, after that it's a ticking time bomb.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:09   #45
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
In countries where dependerbility counts, it's old jap vehicles. I did a trip in a 4wd across the salar de uyuni in Bolivia, guess what they used? Old land cruisers, the one I was in was a '96. They wouldn't use a modern one. Modern european stuff may just be ok for first owner, after that it's a ticking time bomb.
Indeed, to many computers, sensors and over complicated wiring. Even a basic car these days would make a 10 year old car look basic. The problem is any one of these sensors or computers starts failing and you are stranded. In the good old days you could probably bodge it up to get you home. No chance when the can bus system stops working.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:11   #46
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
Sorry Andy, my skim reading powers are fading, must try harder next time. Hope the roof bars are ok?

Roof bars are great - thanks.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 10:55   #47
setter

rover 75 tourer /Armstrong Siddeley Star Sapphire 1960 / mg zt-t tourer facelift

Default Mgr demise

I have had nearly 50 years of being in the motor trade starting with a Vauxhall dealer , always liked the BMC / BL products and modified a few ....Morris Traveller flat out at 120 Mph ....British engineering and jobs was always important to me and most of my generation .
The rot started with the likes of Red Robbo and the unions in the 1970s , bare body shells sat rusting in the factory aka 18/22 Princess range.
Had a friend who worked in Longbridge and visited a few times to watch the production of 200 and Mini cars [ huge demand for Minis in Japan at the time with deep pile carpet , air con , leather and walnut fittings ] I was told that when BMW walked in there they were shocked to find a far better paint system than what they had in any of their own factories around the world !!
Wisely he left after Phoenix 4 took control and asset stripped , Of course the Top Gear idiots always slagged off MGR along with Vauxhall until Clarkson drove the MG ZT V8 that almost changed his mind ...he always banged on about how wonderful Range Rovers were but as we know without the Rover factory and Spencer Wilks there would have been no Land Rovers but then he is only a journalist !
And the best most enjoyable car I have ever owned is still the 75 and soon to be sorted my recent purchase MG ZT-T Tourer
setter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 15:02   #48
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

The book "End of the Road - The True Story of The Downfall of Rover" is an interesting read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Road-Do.../dp/0273706535

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote