Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2018, 08:41   #31
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Also, possibly one of the biggest contributors (only in my opinion of course), is how widespread and easily accessible car finance became - a worrying trend which is still rife today.

Put yourself in the shoes of some boring wannabe sheep in the mid 2000's, if you had a choice of car to show off to your 'friends' and strangers would you choose the Rover or the shiny new Audi or BMW? If you could get the German prestigious brand for next to peanuts on a monthly finance deal the answer is simple.

Unfortunately, this is still the case today. A previous post mentioned his estate was like a German car showroom - mine is too! There was a time when you'd see somebody driving a Mercedes-Benz and you knew they were doing well in life. You can't apply that logic anymore as 'high-end' cars are so easily accessible on finance and PCP deals.

I do believe the whole German car thing is a sham though - you buy only the illusion of quality, conjured up by douches on social media.

It seems a lot of people see life as one big wazzing contest and everyone has to be better than the next. I guess that is why people stopped buying Rovers and MG's
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 09:06   #32
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

I suppose the reliability issues of the k series engines put a lot of people off though.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 10:20   #33
mac61
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The attitude with, I think, all the nationalised industries was if there's a problem throw money at it. That was certainly the case with British Rail. I was a traincrew supervisor in the early '80s and it was common practice for managers to authorise 12 hours payment to get someone to work less than an hours overtime.
Absolutely right, but it happened in the private sector as well. The balance of power up to late eighties/early nineties was with the Unions. Weak management and strong Unions meant that the Unions could hold a gun to managements heads. If management didn't pay up, Unions would organise a downing of tools.

I worked in national newspaper industry in the 80's to mid noughties and the difference between unionised workforce and non was like night and day.

However that was not the case in the last few years of MG Rover, poor management and the lack of real investment was the reason.
mac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 12:10   #34
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

More than weak management we had inept management on BR! One case springs to mind, college graduate immediately into the position of yard manager. Absolutely clueless, wouldn't have known a HAA coal wagon if he walked into the side of it

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 13:11   #35
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

For my twopenneth.....

My father was a died in the wool Austin/BL man. In his youth he worked at Longbridge.

A35, Mini, 1100, Allegro etc.etc.

Until he'd had enough of them braking down, needing spannering every other week, utterly useless dealerships who were bordering on grossly incompetent liars (difficult to try it on with a guy who subsequently worked at aerospace tolerances on a daily basis for decades) and an overall lousy experience.

So he changed...... went through a few alternatives including a FIAT which even that was better than BL and ended up with a........Yaris. Did he so much as look at a spanner between services? No? Did it leak oil? No. Did it allow water in? No. Did it start first time, every time? Yes. did it break down - ever? No.

I started my motoring life with a mini, then another one. What did I own recently? A Carina then an Avensis and a Mazda 626. What does my son drive? A Yaris. What's our other car? A Mazda 2 - what's gone wrong with that in 5 years of ownership apart from wear & tear? A brake light switch which cost about £10 to replace.

Why these cars?

Because IMHO reliability is the key. And the Japanese (not the Germans) have it nailed.

And I have a Rover now because it's a large, comfy car with the most awesome forum () so I've got a lot of car for relatively little money which shall waft along and when she goes wrong I'll be able to sort it out (I hope ).

Yes, I'm sure there is/was plenty of dubious behaviour going on in the background but to the "buying public" the marque was producing tat and consequently it went under.

As I said, just my twopenneth.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 29th August 2018 at 13:13..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 21:10   #36
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

One reason MGR suffered with falling sales was the decimation of its international distribution network. Rovers might not have sold in huge volumes overseas but were well respected where they were available. With the splitting up of Rover Group in 2000, Rover left various markets because the dealers and importers went with / stayed with Land Rover. MGR worked to rebuild this network but it wasn't enough.

Other key reasons for MGR's demise:
  • Too many staff
  • Poorly managed image and public perception
  • Failure to secure a strategic partner
  • Ill-conceived vanity projects

But to their credit they did try by:
  • Launching the Z cars to capitalise on the value of the MG brand
  • Developing a halo brand (Xpower) with genuine motorsport credibility
  • Recycling existing platforms to create new cars
  • Courting numerous potential suitors and looking to the emerging markets, not just the established ones
  • Inventing the crossover (I'm stretching this point but the TCV and Streetwise were well ahead of their time)
Old 30th August 2018, 09:04   #37
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

This sums it up rather than opinions....
https://insight.jbs.cam.ac.uk/2008/who-killed-mg-rover/
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 12:16   #38
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
This sums it up rather than opinions....
https://insight.jbs.cam.ac.uk/2008/who-killed-mg-rover/
Totally agree with this article. Like I've said earlier the dye was cast in 1968. Down hill from then on.
Old 31st August 2018, 17:40   #39
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Someone on this thread suggests that the Germans have got reliability nailed.

I would beg to differ. They are good at hiding it.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 17:45   #40
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
Someone on this thread suggests that the Germans have got reliability nailed.

I would beg to differ. They are good at hiding it.
at the minute, they dont need to hide it! People wont believe they have reliability issues if you told them .

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote