Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th February 2017, 12:40   #1
SDC

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 18T 03 plate smoking after head gasket change

Hi
I had my head gasket change 3 months ago and it has started smoking really bad. I took it back and he reports the piston rings must have gone due to the head being skimmed and it has more compression so it would be the next thing to go. I had the AA out and he suggested that it could be the valve seals, but my mechanic said no it looks like the piston rings. Is he just fobbing me off, cause it's still under guarantee. At first the smoke was on start up and went after 5 minutes, but now it just smokes continuously, less when it gets work but still really bad can you help.
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 13:13   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The first thing to suffer after a head gasket failure allows coolant into the oil is the turbocharger. I suspect the turbo bearings may have failed and is allowing oil into the exhaust system. Rather than jump in with the very expensive piston rings theory (which is rather far fetched IMO), I'd remove the large bore inlet air hose on the turbo and see if there's any slop on the compressor shaft. If there's the slightest sideways movement you've found the cause of the smoke. Replacing a CHRA cartridge is relatively cheap and easy. A DIY job if you do your own servicing.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 17:40   #3
good_mojo
Loves to post

Facelift Rover 75 Classic CDT auto and Connoisseur SE 1.8T

Default checks

As T-Cut has said, your first port of call should be to check for play in the turbo impeller. This thread may help if you need to change the CHRA.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=221730

If the turbo is OK then see if you can borrow a compression tester. The compression figures should be similar for each cylinder. If one is low, put a little oil in when you check again. If the pressure has gone up significantly it indicates the rings are shot. If not, then the valves need attention.
good_mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 17:48   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Another vote for the turbo

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 19:59   #5
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Don't know about the turbo, but the mechanics theory about skimming causing the rings to fail is utter tosh - don't believe it for a minute.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 20:02   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

It is almost certainly the turbocharger, change your garage to a one who can diagnose faults correctly.......piston rings? I'm willing to bet the smoke is mainly white, and smells like you are running your car on high sulphur coal

By the way clapped oil control rings on a K series, is something I have encountered once in over five hundred engine rebuilds

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 20:02   #7
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Don't know about the turbo, but the mechanics theory about skimming causing the rings to fail is utter tosh - don't believe it for a minute.
Indeed - complete tosh

That's the sort of waffle the mechanic who bodged my problem child came out with
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 20:39   #8
wildie1972
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 turbo+

I had same smoke from my 1.8t and it was the turbo. I changed the core gave it an oil change and took it up and down the bypass several times and it was fine. You may end up cleaning out all the pipework and intercooler too if it's failed.
wildie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 20:47   #9
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
Hi
I had my head gasket change 3 months ago and it has started smoking really bad. I took it back and he reports the piston rings must have gone due to the head being skimmed and it has more compression so it would be the next thing to go. I had the AA out and he suggested that it could be the valve seals, but my mechanic said no it looks like the piston rings. Is he just fobbing me off, cause it's still under guarantee. At first the smoke was on start up and went after 5 minutes, but now it just smokes continuously, less when it gets work but still really bad can you help.

As well as has been said regarding the turbo,I would find your self another Mechanic

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 20:53   #10
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I'd also agree with turbo.
As said, absolute rubbish with regards to piston ring issue caused by skimming the head therefore raising compression!
Change mechanic as suggested.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote