Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2016, 06:45   #1031
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Agreed (the Le Touquet Treaty?). But with the UK out of the EU, Calais is now the end of the EU immigration 'pipe' and I can't see them liking it. The French could include this issue in the two year 'divorce' negotiations that are triggered once Article 50 is invoked.
They don't like it Bob - and I have to say I have a great deal of sympathy for the people of Calais. The have the UK/Border on their doorstep. They have been saying they want this changed since the closure of the Sangatte migrant camp.

Philippe Mignonet, the deputy mayor and immigration chief at Calais said in 2013:-

“We are suffering in Calais. Calais is a city, not a country. We are suffering by having the English border on its territory,”

"We have to renegotiate the agreements whereby the English border is in Calais, so that the English border is moved back to Dover."said Mr Mignonet.

So this is not an issue that has just popped up - it has been simmering for some time now.

The answer is to have strong border controls under UK control - NOT the EU !! - and then when migrants realise that being in an EU country does not make it easy or give them any rights to get into the UK and the terrible and awful queues of desperate people wanting to get into the UK will fall

Last edited by Darcydog; 25th June 2016 at 06:51..
Old 25th June 2016, 06:52   #1032
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

To put the FTSE 250 loss into context, that's £25 billion off our savings and pensions and the worst fall since Black Monday in 1987.

Globally, $2 trillion were wiped off stocks.

I guess yesterday already has a name in financial circles - Brexit Friday ? - should there be worse fall to compare it against, in about 2045 or something.

The pound slumped to its lowest level in 30 years. It even managed to fall against the apparently basket case Euro, which I don't understand.
Old 25th June 2016, 07:16   #1033
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
To put the FTSE 250 loss into context, that's £25 billion off our savings and pensions and the worst fall since Black Monday in 1987.
Even if that were true - and I am not sure it is (Look at the data!

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ftse+250)

The markets always were going to fall - Black Monday was when we fell out of the ERM. But look beyond that one day to where WE were in the the UK just 18 months later compared to the situation in the then EU.

The UK thrived

Can I thank you for reminding everyone of this

And can I ask you to read this from The Guardian - it shows the role of the Bundesbank

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ears-pound-erm

"The cavalry were the Bundesbank. We kept on looking over the hill, but there was no dust and there were no hats and no sabres. And then later at the conference call they suddenly didn't speak English, which was extraordinary. So we were kind of stretched on that day,"

This is spookily similar to what has happened more recently to Greece. The only difference is is that now, the EU has tied the Euro Zone members up into political and fiscal Union so that whereas we were able to fall out of the ERM and carve our own - far more successful path - poor old Greece has been well and truly shafted.

It is this REALLY UGLY side of the EU - that makes/made me vote to leave it.

It really is the worst kind of Bully.

I am proud that the UK has said enough is enough - we want no part of that. I hope our vote brings about the changes within the EU that are so desperately needed.

I see myself as a European - I love Europe !

The EU is not representative of what Europe should be about.
Old 25th June 2016, 07:39   #1034
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

The pound slumped to its lowest level in 30 years. It even managed to fall against the apparently basket case Euro, which I don't understand.
Which of course makes our manufacturing exports considerably more attractive

Hands up who feels sorry for the wheeler dealer currency traders

I'm sorry but you are predicting doom and gloom Bob based upon one twenty four hour period, it is this sort of negativity that should be avoided, look upon the independence of our nation as a positive, and the long term benefits that independence can bring.

I'm a glass half full sort of person, it is much better to have a cheerful outlook on life rather than being glum.

Wait a few months and see how we are doing then

Brian
Old 25th June 2016, 07:43   #1035
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
Old 25th June 2016, 07:55   #1036
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Appears to me from a distance that it seems its either the remains "better the devil you know than the one you dont" or the leaves "insanity,doing what you have always done but then expecting a different result"
I read an interesting comment from a farmer saying he was actually being paid 12k a year from the EU for doing absolutely nothing, not to plant crops in the UK but it was figured to do that, the UK had to pay the EU 20k for that to happen. I think in the end alot of people world wide are discontent with loosing their particular identities and are objecting to this globalization push where we are all being pushed to become global citizens.
For better or worse there will be more of this sort of thing.
I take the glass half full train of thought, I think the UK has now got alot more scope to use that great British ingenuity and make inroads into markets the EU would not let them go near before.
The EU WILL still have to trade with the UK otherwise they will have a period of market decline also,so all this EU sabre rattling will disappear after a time and then civil talks will resume.You guys just need to vote a smart stubborn prime minister in - bring back Winston !!!!
Old 25th June 2016, 08:17   #1037
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
You guys just need to vote a smart stubborn prime minister in
Agreed - have you got anyone suitable down under you can lend us? - 'cos we sure as hell haven't up here
Old 25th June 2016, 08:22   #1038
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well said Gary, it's early days and it will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long term

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.
Peter, it's interesting to see how this is viewed by someone who is on the other side of the world.

It's not all negative that we are leaving the EU as your example clearly illustrates.

The EU started out life as the EEC European Economic Community, essentially a trading bloc agreement, then grew and morphed into a much more politically integrated system, the European Union.

You find that most EU member states at the grass roots level don't like their individual countries identities being absorbed into one "Superstate"

I think Britain which of course will remain for all time a part of the continent of Europe, will set the trend of decline of a flawed model that is the European Union, and a lot of member states were simply waiting to see who would jump ship first.

My money is on the Netherlands following suit within the next five years.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Appears to me from a distance that it seems its either the remains "better the devil you know than the one you dont" or the leaves "insanity,doing what you have always done but then expecting a different result"
I read an interesting comment from a farmer saying he was actually being paid 12k a year from the EU for doing absolutely nothing, not to plant crops in the UK but it was figured to do that, the UK had to pay the EU 20k for that to happen. I think in the end alot of people world wide are discontent with loosing their particular identities and are objecting to this globalization push where we are all being pushed to become global citizens.
For better or worse th
ere will be more of this sort of thing.
I take the glass half full train of thought, I think the UK has now got alot more scope to use that great British ingenuity and make inroads into markets the EU would not let them go near before.
The EU WILL still have to trade with the UK otherwise they will have a period of market decline also,so all this EU sabre rattling will disappear after a time and then civil talks will resume.You guys just need to vote a smart stubborn prime minister in - bring back Winston !!!!
Old 25th June 2016, 08:22   #1039
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
The answer is to have strong border controls under UK control - NOT the EU !! - and then when migrants realise that being in an EU country does not make it easy or give them any rights to get into the UK and the terrible and awful queues of desperate people wanting to get into the UK will fall
I also think with stronger regulations on the benefits and etc. they can get once over here, then the exodus across the channel will decline. Those who do make it, can more simply be returned on the next boat / train.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 25th June 2016, 08:23   #1040
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

DD, from your favourite newspaper, the Telegraph:

"The FTSE 250, which is considered a bellwether of the UK economy as a whole because it contains more UK-focussed companies,NAUGHTY WORD-endedNAUGHTY WORD-the day down 7.2pc - its worst day since Black Monday. The fall wiped £25bn off the value of the index in all and wiped almost a quarterNAUGHTY WORD-off the value of some stocks."

-- Where did all the naughty words come from? I did a direct copy and paste?

Last edited by bobthebuilder; 25th June 2016 at 08:27..
Closed Thread