Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2023, 12:07   #1
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Default Spare wheel; aka space saver

When buying new boots recently it occurred to me that the original 'cartoon' spare tyre is the same age as the car (or older). In this case, 23+years. I have only had recourse to it once in that time, about 10 years ago. Do those skinny tyres have the same, or similar, life expectancy/limitation as the four corner boots? Obviously, it is not subject to either road impacts or UV exposure. It is however at a much elevated pressure.

I'm inclined to replace it, in which case I would prefer a 'real' wheel and tyre. Has anyone got one like this, 'Crown' I believe they are called, size 15" in acceptable condition, which I could buy?

Derek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rover wheel.jpg (3.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Francophile; 4th December 2023 at 12:10.. Reason: refined request.
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 12:22   #2
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

I do both.

I bought normal wheels with good tyres as spares. Because I had heard rumour the space saver only fits the rear wheel and if a front tyre has puncture in the wind and rain things get hard work and unpleasant. And what if we are driving off for an important longer trip when a tyre goes wrong. The space saver is for emergencies and not over 50 mph

But the normal wheel and tyre takes up vital inches above the boot well that makes it difficult collecting 2 or more people from the airport with big cases
So I keep the space saver wheel wrapped in a poly bag nice and clean to use if I know I need every inch of boot space.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 13:00   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Threw my spacesaver away and just have a full size spare 😎

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 13:09   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
But the normal wheel and tyre takes up vital inches above the boot well that makes it difficult collecting 2 or more people from the airport with big cases
Puzzled? I used to carry a full size spare in the ZT 1.8T I used to have. It fitted fine under the boot floor with no intrusion into the boot space itself

My current 260 is a whole different kettle of fish. V8s were never supplied with a spare wheel, no room for it, the spare wheel well is taken up by the diff. If you want a spare wheel it has to live in the boot. V8s were only supplied with a can of puncture repair goo which is usually about as much use as shaving foam! Most owners carry a spare but mine didn't have one when I got it, 2 days later I ended up waiting several hours for a flatbed in the early hours of the morning after I got a puncture the goo wouldn't touch. Sourced a wheel the following day.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 13:29   #5
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Simple - If I fit a late design 7 spoke alloy wheel with a 215/55 x 16 tyre in the wheel well it is a couple or so inches higher than a space saver where a space saver is designed to be narrower.

It looks as if a similar height. But the boot carpet/board is actually held up higher by a couple or so inches - and with the very big wheelie cases for 2+ people means the cases don't fit in the boot of a Rover 75 if a 215/55 x 16 on a late (2004 to 06) alloy 7 spoke.

Whereas if I keep a spacesaver wheel in the boot as a spare the big cases fit.
Old 4th December 2023, 13:33   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Simple - If I fit a late design 7 spoke alloy wheel with a 215/55 x 16 tyre in the wheel well it is a couple or so inches higher than a space saver where a space saver is designed to be narrower.

It looks as if a similar height. But the boot carpet/board is actually held up higher by a couple or so inches - and with the very big wheelie cases for 2+ people means the cases don't fit in the boot of a Rover 75 if a 215/55 x 16 on a late (2004 to 06) alloy 7 spoke.

Whereas if I keep a spacesaver wheel in the boot as a spare the big cases fit.
I've got an 18" 11 spoke in mine with no difference in board height?
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 14:40   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

I presume you are placing the wheel "face" down with the plastic spacer thing that sits under the space saver removed. As with Ronnie, an 18" (gridspoke) fitted fine in mine.

T4 Location Map
Old 4th December 2023, 18:37   #8
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Yes I face the exterior of the wheel down because that is the design to hold it in place with the screw and because the space inside in the wheel is considerable and I store tools, tow rope etc there.
Old 5th December 2023, 07:18   #9
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Huh. I have a space saver but it won't fit in the well - I have an lpg tank there. I even had to make ahigher board on 2x1 timber to clear it. My wheel sits on top of the carpet, but no problem really, just a loss of msome space.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 15:17   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Can't really fathom why a full size spare won't fit, what state is the boot floor in? Is it still the original hardboard and if so is it still level? They are very prone to absorbing dampness and warping.

T4 Location Map