Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th December 2006, 11:55   #11
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
Aga - As Keith has said, the Buick derived Rover V8 would have needed much further development to get it to comply with current emmision legislation and this has led me to wonder how kit car builders are still able to use this engine in vehicles which need to be registered as new on a 'Q' plate - perhaps someone has the answer?..........

....presumably the emmisions legislation is different for the SVA to that under Type Approval, which would seem a little odd.
Its all to do with non standard engines or something like that, my cars 1995 so subject to cat converter rules and regulations. If i drop a 1980's rover V8 into it, its not got a cat or anything related so has to be tested as such.

The bubble 200 turbos iirc, if i was to put say a 1999 620 turbo unit into one or indeed a KV6, the engine wasn't standard to the car, so is tested as a "kit car" and is allowable.
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:47   #12
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Had an interesting chat with a guy yesterday. His 75 was poorly and had been recovered due to a faulty coil pack diagnosed by the AA/RAC which later turned out to be the fuel clip - nearly correctly diagnosed !

Anyway to cut a long interesting story short the lad used to work for MGR and amongst other chit chats the V8 did pop up in conversation. Once the engine was installed and being developed a team of engineers were "tasked" to get the 0-60times down to 5 seconds. Many interesting "practices" were undertaken and unfortunately the best time they could muster was 5.2secs I don't know the official figures but the target could be achievable if they could actually get the traction down onto the tarmac.

Completely irrelavant post but I thought while we are V8's I thought I would share information gained
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 17:20   #13
scooter

ZT240

THe car is very strong we use the original drive shafts and running gear from the gearbox back on our 520hp race car with one 24hr race and a whole race season without a failure of any of the standard units.The hub bearings have stood up to a very hard time also without any problems.I also drive a blown car and except for tyres brake pads and one lower ball joint I have covered over 44K miles with 400hp with no other faults.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 19:20   #14
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
THe car is very strong we use the original drive shafts and running gear from the gearbox back on our 520hp race car with one 24hr race and a whole race season without a failure of any of the standard units.The hub bearings have stood up to a very hard time also without any problems.I also drive a blown car and except for tyres brake pads and one lower ball joint I have covered over 44K miles with 400hp with no other faults.
Hello Scooter, nice to meet you.
lady zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 20:45   #15
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Cool

You two aren't related I take it

Fascinating thread, spent 10mins reading all this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I also drive a blown car
Street legal or on the track?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 22:16   #16
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
You two aren't related I take it
Both are in Scotland does that count?
Quote:
Street legal or on the track?
He has one of each, not many people can do a diy blower install
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 02:49   #17
tonyjtl1

75 Saloon&75 Tourer

Default is the v8 (not quite what you think it is)

having just made the last payment on my caddy van I thought I shall have another classic motor,maybe a 1966 s type jag,or a 350/450 merc se,then I thought about reliability,maybe not,having a rover 75 at home that the wife uses,and had up till this time only cost us servicing and a tail lamp bulb in 4 years just maybe! I should be looking at an mgr v8.In true bloke style I bought the first one I saw,wowwwwww!!!! x power dodgey se spec(no sat nav)mgr group number plates,BX53 chassis no 0032.The car looked fab,like the car batman would go to the shops in.Sat in it for test drive,turned key,oh my god sounds just like the 3500s I restored(4 barrel webber)5 years ago,drove the car for about 3 miles it was a car on another level I had never been to,as Hammond would say it was like being in a cartoon.Went back a week later picked it up and motored home after about 10 miles I thought what have I done,this is not what I thought it was,Im sorry everyone but I was thinking MG magnette quick and comfortable,not this.Arrived home,trying not to show my dissapointment,took wife for run she hated it,as we drove along I looked out of the corner of my eye to see her head bouncing up and down,those of you who own one of these know what Iam talking about.Kept car for 6 months hopeing I could love it but no swapped it out for a 54 plate diesel auto pearlesent red tourer,and got a good kicking financialy.Is it good engineering! of course it is!the best.But fun and track use only Im afraid in my oppinion, still miss looking at it. happy new year.
tonyjtl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 11:24   #18
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Slightly off track, Might be of Interest to you folk out there... The Rover V8 is used in a lot of Replica Kit cars (some uising the old SD1 carb model). I've seen a Ferrari Copy and Lambo Copy both powered with V8's and have been told it is the engine of choice for these (where do they get them from?).

My next door neighbour is close to finishing his Lambogini Replica with a Rover V8 in rear of car driving the rear wheels, when he starts it up it sounds great! It looks the same as real thing by looking at Photographs and he already exhibits his Ferrari copy at shows and was actually asked if Ferrari could use pictures of it (its not a current model)...he didn't have the heart to tell them its a copy! His engine came from a sell off at a show still boxed in wooden crate. The Total cost of build I could have bought 2 Rover MGR 75/ZTs!

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 29th December 2006 at 11:29..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 11:30   #19
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
Hello Scooter, nice to meet you.
I thought that was you for a moment Chick! Thought you had gone a Bit crazy with a New V8 Car.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 22:29   #20
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
I thought that was you for a moment Chick! Thought you had gone a Bit crazy with a New V8 Car.

LOL! Far too many big technical words in there for me!
lady zed is offline   Reply With Quote