Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2006, 16:02   #1
tourerfogey
Banned

Default Is the V8 well - engineered or a little crude?

Hi

Serious questions please to those of you who run V8s.

Are the V8 versions well - engineered cars?

How good is the V8 installation from an engineering point of view?

Thank you
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 16:08   #2
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Well it's certainly a well proven unit..........
Paranoid Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 16:44   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Love the exhaust note
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 17:50   #4
Scarlet Fever
Avid contributor

ZT 260 (#27 of 217)

Hmm tricky to say for us mere mortals i reckon, but what i can say is that the RWD conversion seems to be excellent, with great attention to detail like the additional central shocks on the rear axle to prevent tramp with only a minimal intrusion into the boot wheel well. The car has a sublimely neutral attitude on the road with power oversteer available on demand (if you like that sort of thing) and a totally uncompromised steering feel.

The engine installation also seems to be very well thought out and executed, with the engine placed as far back as possible to aid weight balance.

However, there are a few areas that could have been better designed, the Air Conditioning system for instance could indeed be described as 'crude engineering' and the top heater hose in the engine bay has a nastly habit of blowing reasonably regularly (uprated hoses now available!) The other issue is the fuel tank, which is the same size as all the other ZTs out there and as such, with such a thirsty engine, does limit the range a little with multiple trips to a fuel stop on a longer journey sometimes needed (250 miles ish from a tankful)

OVerall, i reckon it's a bit of a tour de force from a pure engineering point of view, but there are a couple of flys in the ointment that whilst not desperately serious, can be a little annoying for the owner. overall though i am very impressed with the car and the way it has been designed and executed. It certainly isn't a 'bodge job' which when you consider the budget, time and the nature of the project (turn a front wheel drive platform into a rear wheel drive one and fit a monster engine), it could well have turned out to be.

Thumbs up from me.
ZT 260 - #27
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 18:31   #5
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Are the V8 versions well - engineered cars?

Agree with Andy.

If you have a 75 or ZT then on a par with that, plus a well engineered engine, gearbox and axle/diff. Well engineered dynamics allows you to push the car and keep control. On top of all that you have a car which can be tuned to 400bhp without having to change any part of the car except adding stuff to the engine. I've had a 190 before the 260 and although the 190 was a great car, the 260 is exceptional. Thats not because I own one, its just that good, weak points considered.

:xmas-smiley-009:
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 19:30   #6
tourerfogey
Banned

Thanks Guys.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, and I guess exactly what I wanted to hear.

TF
Old 19th December 2006, 20:14   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

When you consider what was achieved on such a low budget the cars are remarkable

It is the kind of car you want to drive without necessarily going fast as there is just so much Torque it can almost be a one gear car.

The chassis is very strong and as said above designed from the start to handle a lot more horses. The NVH work done on my Mk2 means the ride quality and lack of rattles etc far exceeds my Mk1 ZTT

Daftest of all it costs me less to insure than my 190 it is only the fuel consumption that makes it less than ideal as a daily use car but then I didn't buy mine for the daily grind
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 12:34   #8
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

Was there ever the possibility that it could have used the renowned & proven Rover V8 used on such cars as TVR's etc? Seems a more logical solution to the Mustang engine eventually chosen?
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 12:41   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I think Rincewind answered this a while ago old Rover V8 was not Euro something compliant and going to one from a Ford Range Rover was probably to expensive/big/heavy/embarrassing (delete any that do not apply)
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 13:37   #10
tourerfogey
Banned

Aga - As Keith has said, the Buick derived Rover V8 would have needed much further development to get it to comply with current emmision legislation and this has led me to wonder how kit car builders are still able to use this engine in vehicles which need to be registered as new on a 'Q' plate - perhaps someone has the answer?..........

....presumably the emmisions legislation is different for the SVA to that under Type Approval, which would seem a little odd.

Last edited by tourerfogey; 20th December 2006 at 15:51..