Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th August 2017, 18:49   #1
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default How often do you change your ATF?

As per the book? More or less often?
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 22:34   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

If you've purchased the car second hand treat it as though the auto box has never had a change so I would change it for peace of mind.
It's not difficult to do but the auto fluid is expensive.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 07:06   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have a friend who rebuilds auto boxes and his view on oil changes is depends on how it is used.

A car used on motorways and long distances probably every 48 to 60k is sensible as oil is cheaper than a box. On the other hand a car used around city and town mostly it is probably better to think about doing it every 24 to 30k. Look at the colour of the fluid, if it is clean and has no bits floating around in it you are probably OK.

It is shocking when you go to his workshop to see the condition of some auto gearboxes, he had one recently that actually looked like somebody had just put a pile of cogs and components in a casing and hoped for the best.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 11:05   #4
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Did I read some place the Rover does not have a filter for the ATF?

Keeping it clean and fresh makes a huge difference to the life of the box I'm told.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 20:28   #5
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post

The 75 has a Jatco box on the automatics. These boxes are good to go 70,000 between fluid changes, but please use quality Jatco fluid, the synthetic type is the best. Drain the box refill to level. Then take the car for a short run making sure the box goes up and down through all the gears a few times. Then drain the box again and refill to level. This will allow you to get about 85% of the ATF changed. You will never get it all. You will need 10 litres of fluid to do this. To just drain and refill you only get 55 to 60% of the fluid changed. Hence the need to take the car for a run in between and to make sure the box goes up and down through every gear half a dozen times before the second drain and refill.
Sorry it is not cheep depending on where you get hour ATF you will be looking at sixty to one hundred and twenty pounds.
Remember what you pay for a bottle of quality engine oil. When you look at it that way it is quite cheep 6 litres of Mobile one will set you back 60 pounds and you should have changed that at least five times to every auto box drain. Cheep at half the price.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 21:54   #6
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I have no intention of doing it myself! I have a MG/Rover garage a few miles away to do it. I fancy it's a bit jerky at times so thinking of an oil change, last one was two years (it was black) and about 13,000 miles ago, it's now on 105,000.

Is it likely to be something else? Eg someone engaging reverse while still moving forward, and vice versa (grrr)?
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 12:37   #7
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
I have no intention of doing it myself! I have a MG/Rover garage a few miles away to do it. I fancy it's a bit jerky at times so thinking of an oil change, last one was two years (it was black) and about 13,000 miles ago, it's now on 105,000.

Is it likely to be something else? Eg someone engaging reverse while still moving forward, and vice versa (grrr)?
My other half is brilliant at the quick auto gear change , and sits forever stopped with the car in drive and foot on brake..

Keep asking her if she is saving up to have the auto box reconditioned!
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 21:38   #8
Leachim
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Re: How often do you change your ATF?

Quote:
I'm wondering what 'by the book' means. My handbook/maintenance book for the car makes no mention of oïl changes for the automatic gearbox that I can see, but does talk of cambelt, coolant and brake fluid changes.

What is the authority for saying it should be done, and at what interval?

My V6 2.5 auto (therefore with a jatco box) has done 100,000 miles and what history I have shows no change of the gearbox oïl. Should I think of changing it (there's so much else to do on the car!)?

Sounds like a lot of garages might not be up to doing the job properly...
Leachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 07:26   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachim View Post
What is the authority for saying it should be done, and at what interval?
It's listed on the Maintenance Check Sheet RCL0314ENG & RCL0566(3)ENG 9/2004 Michael, to be performed every 60,000 miles or 4 years.

Simon
Old 1st September 2017, 22:24   #10
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

And having just had mine done after exactly 4 years and 30,000 miles of mainly city driving I can report that the fluid that came out looked like drinking chocolate! Gear changes have certainly smoothed out since the change.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote