Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2014, 22:37   #11
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

checked with an old colleague - as i remembered a case we had where an injector was failing to leak off correctly - so too much pressure was building in it - so it was hosing extra fuel in just on that cylinder. hard running fixed that particular case but leak off routes through the head in industrial engines before reaching a return line to tank so this may not apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If the PVC was badly blocked, it can take weeks to clear the system of the oil build up, I had one that filled the exhaust with oil!
oil would generally produce blue smoke.

Last edited by Dragrad; 15th August 2014 at 00:45.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 07:15   #12
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon View Post
white smoke is generally a sign of misfire in a diesel/ incomplete combustion. This is not the same as too much fuel - i.e. black smoke due to particulates from excess diesel.

From my calibration days we used to map the misfire "line" based on the limit of timing where fuel could be injected without misfiring.

just googled to check my memory - see here for a broader discussion of different smoke from a diesel:

http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

White smoke is due to raw diesel in completely unburnt form being present in the exhaust gases...

Sooo this will be due to lack of correct timing OR lack of compression/insufficient air temperature due to lack of compression OR faulty/broken injector hosing fuel.

Water could also cause a lack of temperature - basically cooling the combustion down and preventing fuel burning.
Interesting read, you learn something everyday So the white "smoke" would infact be vapourised diesel, which would fit with the OP explanation of the diesel smell.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 07:48   #13
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
Interesting read, you learn something everyday So the white "smoke" would infact be vapourised diesel, which would fit with the OP explanation of the diesel smell.
Indeed fits very well.

Now to determine the cause...

Andy
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 10:26   #14
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

I had white smoke on my old MGZT that was down to an insufficiently tight fuel filter spraying diesel down onto the exhaust and subsequently emitting white smoke. Might be something to check. It was fairly obvious though, as was the soaked engine cover foam.

On mine it was a failing No:3 injector which allowed a build up of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. The amount of white smoke was unbelievable.

Last edited by Dragrad; 15th August 2014 at 00:44.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 16:07   #15
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Smoke

I had an episode of whitish smoke when I tried an alternative Maf supplied by Rover Ron which he stopped selling thereafter! You say that you cleaned the MAF, what you should do is to unplug its connector and then try it, you will do no harm and will at least eliminate that from the possibles.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 20:39   #16
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default White Smoke

Hi.
Mine had white smoke from the Exhaust, really only happened at low revs/idle, I found two loose injectors and tightened the securing nuts for the "C" clamps that hold them in. This cured it and since then I have replaced the sealing washers for the injectors, dead cheap off ebay and a simple task, no more white smoke, no more lumpy idle and much better fuel consumption too.
It happened not long after I put some diesel cleaner in the tank so must have cleaned out all the sh1te that was keeping them sealed.
Hope this helps.
Wizzo337.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 21:48   #17
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
When the red arrows trail white smoke, that is just diesel injected out into the exhaust path...
Old 13th August 2014, 22:01   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

So what do they inject for the blue and red smoke?

Saw them at Cowes last week and very impressive they were too. Especially the start - everyone looking out to sea and they came in low over the buildings from behind.

There was also a lone Typhoon demonstration. What a plane, and what a superb pilot to show it off to the max.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 22:03   #19
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
So what do they inject for the blue and red smoke?

Saw them at Cowes last week and very impressive they were too. Especially the start - everyone looking out to sea and they came in low over the buildings from behind.

There was also a lone Typhoon demonstration. What a plane, and what a superb pilot to show it off to the max.

Its still diesel but they add a dye to colour it, always put on a good show.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 22:08   #20
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Dave, have you done a compression test?

Is it still running like a bag of spanners?

Have you swapped injectors from another diesel?
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote