Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th August 2008, 18:05   #91
keiron99
Loves to post

75 Connie SE 2.0 CDT auto

Well. I have to say, I tried this system myself today on my '02 Racing Green 75. It is absolutely brilliant.

I can't imagine why, Mr Bitsy, you smeared it over a hole area like that? There's no reference to doing that in the instructions. I think you have to be extremely patient and dab onto each individual chip. Extremely tedious, yes, but the result is extremely good.

I dabbed on with the tiny bud, immediately smeared with my finger (in the glove) and rubbed with the fluid after about 2 or 3 minutes.

It is going to take a lot of patience, bad backs and sore fingers though.
keiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 19:05   #92
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
Well. I have to say, I tried this system myself today on my '02 Racing Green 75. It is absolutely brilliant.

I think you have to be extremely patient and dab onto each individual chip. Extremely tedious, yes, but the result is extremely good.

I dabbed on with the tiny bud, immediately smeared with my finger (in the glove) and rubbed with the fluid after about 2 or 3 minutes.

It is going to take a lot of patience, bad backs and sore fingers though.
Have kept at it with The Dr Colourchip and have had mixed results, on some of the small chips they have covered very well I can honestly agree that the results are brilliant, I have used the same method as you and I am very pleased.

However on the bigger chips the paint needs to be built up layer on layer with a suitable amount of time for it to harden. Once the paint is level then a final application as of the finer chips will finish it off.

I do think that the darker the colour the better the coverage, Silver is probably one of the worst to do.

I think a half litre bottle of removal fluid would have been more appropriate because I think that will run out long before the paint.

I'm with you on the time, patience and the bad back anyone looking to do it in 5 minutes is going to be a little disappointed.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 10th August 2008 at 19:34..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 07:23   #93
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

I have only read the begining of this post and looked at the initial photos, and by the look of the photos the paint was applied with a brush, I think when covering a large area of chips you are supposed to apply the paint using a rag and smear it on leaving only a very thin layer to rub off at least this is what I did and it worked perfectly
bramblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 09:37   #94
MrBitsy
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post

I can't imagine why, Mr Bitsy, you smeared it over a hole area like that? There's no reference to doing that in the instructions.
The instructions on side two clearly say to cover road rash, smear the paint over the area with a rag. I did this, but obviously too thick

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MrBitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 09:38   #95
MrBitsy
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblp View Post
I have only read the begining of this post and looked at the initial photos, and by the look of the photos the paint was applied with a brush, I think when covering a large area of chips you are supposed to apply the paint using a rag and smear it on leaving only a very thin layer to rub off at least this is what I did and it worked perfectly
Nope, I was telling the truth when I said I applied it with a rag I applied it far too thickly obviously

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13th August 2008, 09:39   #96
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitsy View Post
Nope, I was telling the truth when I said I applied it with a rag I applied it far too thickly obviously

What does it look like now Ray? Managed to get it off?
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 17:10   #97
MrBitsy
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
What does it look like now Ray? Managed to get it off?
Yes and no.

The excess was removed by mixing the SealAct removing liquid and acetone. However, I am left with some 'staining' - DrColorChip does say in the instructions not to leave paint on the clearcoat as it can haze.

I will take some pictures of the 'staining' for comments, but I don't think it will remove even with machine polishing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]