Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd August 2014, 21:50   #1
stemac76

Rover 75 1.8t Conn SE

Default My new car, few issues...

Hi folks, pleased to have joind this forum, looks really friendly!

Anyway, I've just bought a late 2004 Connie 1.8t with an auto box and 60k miles, love the car (this is my third 75/ZT) but it has two annoying issues and I was wondering if anyone knew what could be wrong:

Firstly, the car is so flat and gutless at low speeds (my 2.0 KV6 was too when I had is 8 years ago), and you really have to wind it up hard to get the turbo spooling, this makes it a really sluggish, awkward car to drive, especially at low speeds. Once you floor the throttle and really get that turbo spinning it picks up better, but as I say, pootling about it's bordering on undriveable!

Secondly, it's turning out to be super thirsty (so were my other two 75s), at BEST I can just about manage 18-20mpg normal driving which is dire in my opinion.

Now the car has just had a timing belt change and the engine seems to idle and run fine, doesn't seem to overheat and doesn't make any nasty noiese or smells...

Any ideas guys?

Steve
stemac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:33   #2
johnandchris
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI

Check the cat. Exactly the same symptoms, turned ou the cat was partially blocked. Also check boost pipes for leaks/detached connections.
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:41   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemac76 View Post
Secondly, it's turning out to be super thirsty (so were my other two 75s), at BEST I can just about manage 18-20mpg normal driving ...
Hello Steve,

Before we start thinking about faults, how are you measuring your fuel consumption, and over how many miles?

Also, what is the usual length of your journeys and in what traffic conditions? For example, do you ever drive a quarter of a mile to the local shop when you need milk in a hurry?

On the subject of performance, which car did you have prior to the 1.8T and what was its engine size and power?

Simon
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:33   #4
stemac76

Rover 75 1.8t Conn SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Steve,

Before we start thinking about faults, how are you measuring your fuel consumption, and over how many miles?

Also, what is the usual length of your journeys and in what traffic conditions? For example, do you ever drive a quarter of a mile to the local shop when you need milk in a hurry?

On the subject of performance, which car did you have prior to the 1.8T and what was its engine size and power?

Simon
Hi Simon, when I bought the car the needle was at the bottom, and consequently ran out of fuel. I put £20 in the tank and drove it home. Next day did a few chores and drove it to work, fuel light came on 22 miles later and by the time I got to a fuel station it was hiccuping (low fuel) and there was a grand total of 43 miles on the trip! The car is so damn flat that pulling away from junctions is embarrassingly slow, leading you to literally having to bury the throttle into the carpet to get the heap to shift!, then all of a sudden it will pick up a bit a pull reasonably well. Now my last car was a Vectra 1.8 with a manual box, I never got less than 40 mpg and it felt worlds more sprightly than my 75 too!

Driving home from work today and thought i'd test it down a stretch of dual carriageway, floored it and managed to get it to boost, however just as boost was peaking, the car dramatically lost power in a split second and the car started to lose power, ever with the pedal touching the carpet the car was in some sort of limp home mode. slowed down and tried again, same thing happened, boost built up quite nicely for a second or so then bang, power gone again...

weird one this...
stemac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 08:06   #5
SD1too

Hello Steve,

I'm afraid that you can't get an accurate idea of fuel consumption by the method you describe. A brim-to-brim calculation is what is required, but since the car clearly has running problems you should turn your attention to fixing these and forget about the mpg for now.

The first thing you should do with any new purchase is carry out a full MG Rover recommended service. Pay particular attention to the sparking plugs. I've read on this forum that the 1.8T runs best with a gap of 0.7mm rather than the nominal figure.

Simon
Old 24th August 2014, 08:30   #6
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Stick some 'cataclean' in the tank and give it a good run. For £17 what have you got to loose...

Blocked CAT would give you those symptoms...
Old 24th August 2014, 08:38   #7
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemac76 View Post

Driving home from work today and thought i'd test it down a stretch of dual carriageway, floored it and managed to get it to boost, however just as boost was peaking, the car dramatically lost power in a split second and the car started to lose power, ever with the pedal touching the carpet the car was in some sort of limp home mode. slowed down and tried again, same thing happened, boost built up quite nicely for a second or so then bang, power gone again...

weird one this...
Sounds like there could be a fuel flow issue too... knackered fuel pump or blocked fuel filter???
Old 24th August 2014, 08:56   #8
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor1975 View Post
Sounds like there could be a fuel flow issue too... knackered fuel pump or blocked fuel filter???
A good thought Trevor, but more likely to be fuel filter separation I'd have thought. The fuel pumps on petrol cars are reliable and there should be nothing in the tank to "block" the filter.

So Steve, search for "FFS" or "orange clip" and you can read all about it.

Simon