Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2015, 17:54   #1
Chris-CDTI
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Fluid on floor

While having a poke around under my car today I've notice its began to mark its territory. Its a dark brownly fluid seems to be coming from near the gearbox engine join.

First thought is clutch fluid. I've cleaned it up ran the car pumping the clutch and No dice, i've been for a drive around the block and only have a little dribble on a sump securing bolt. all around the block seems to be dry.

The garage I brought the car from said they changed the clutch and cylinders (slave and master) about 100 miles ago. Tho they failed to give me any evidence of this (yea I know ) I can see them lieing on the advert then giving me a warranty with it leaving them selfs open to trading standards Perhaps I am being to nice?

Any ideas of what it could be I did also think sump gasket?

Thanks

Chris
Chris-CDTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:08   #2
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Hi Chris

Could be lots of liquids, even spillage from doing other work.

A new clutch should bite about halfway and be fairly light. Where does yours bite and how does it feel?

As you have done it needs a good clean up around the affected area (and above) and then watching very closely with a good light to see where it is coming from. Maybe after some miles of driving.

Any motor trader has to give you a 6 month warranty by law, I believe. Ignore any gumph they say about limited warranties, "only 3 months guv", etc.

Some pretend not to be dealers ...

The onus is on them to prove was not a fault when they sold the car. Unless they told you it was a fault when they sold it.

I think "reasonable" issues comes into this - a used car will not be perfect but big things like clutch should be sorted before sale.

See here - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-are-my-rights

Hope this helps

Andrew

Last edited by first-things-first; 8th October 2015 at 18:11..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:40   #3
Chris-CDTI
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

I would say the clutch is biting just over half way (IE just over half way from floor) that seems normal in relation to all the other cars I've driven.

It seems light. But as I have 7 stitches in my foot I cant keep my foot on any clutch for long!

Feeling seems ok you feel it bight no vibrations or clunks.

Just popped out and had a look. It seems to be coming from the hole in the bottom of gear box where it joins the engine.

Going to see T4-Phil tomorrow for a T4 session so If its still leaking i'll run back to where I got it from, he can fix it and clam what ever back via the warranty company.

Thanks

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Hi Chris

Could be lots of liquids, even spillage from doing other work.

A new clutch should bite about halfway and be fairly light. Where does yours bite and how does it feel?

As you have done it needs a good clean up around the affected area (and above) and then watching very closely with a good light to see where it is coming from. Maybe after some miles of driving.

Any motor trader has to give you a 6 month warranty by law, I believe. Ignore any gumph they say about limited warranties, "only 3 months guv", etc.

Some pretend not to be dealers ...

The onus is on them to prove was not a fault when they sold the car. Unless they told you it was a fault when they sold it.

I think "reasonable" issues comes into this - a used car will not be perfect but big things like clutch should be sorted before sale.

See here - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-are-my-rights

Hope this helps

Andrew
Chris-CDTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:45   #4
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Good. Sounds like the clutch is working as it should.

Phil knows all about these cars and I'm sure will assist you in finding the cause.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:52   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Clutch fluid, engine oil and gearbox oil all smell very different. A "sniff" test (no not that sort) may determine which type of fluid it is.
Mike
Old 10th October 2015, 12:54   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Check the master cylinder of the clutch for low fluid. If it is losing fluid, then you have found your leaking oil.
Old 10th October 2015, 15:49   #7
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-CDTI View Post
While having a poke around under my car today I've notice its began to mark its territory. Its a dark brownly fluid seems to be coming from near the gearbox engine join.

First thought is clutch fluid. I've cleaned it up ran the car pumping the clutch and No dice, i've been for a drive around the block and only have a little dribble on a sump securing bolt. all around the block seems to be dry.

The garage I brought the car from said they changed the clutch and cylinders (slave and master) about 100 miles ago. Tho they failed to give me any evidence of this (yea I know ) I can see them lieing on the advert then giving me a warranty with it leaving them selfs open to trading standards Perhaps I am being to nice?

Any ideas of what it could be I did also think sump gasket?

Thanks

Chris
Firstly, how long ago did you buy the car, if within its warranty period TAKE IT BACK, explain to them the problem and ASK them to sort it out, if they said they have changed this that and the other ask them to show you the receipts for the parts used and speak to the actual mechanic who actually carried out the work.

If they have no evidence, then assume the work was not carried out, do not waste your time, energy, and health to sort it out yourself, ask then for a courtesy car whilst the work is being carried out, failing that, go to TS, good luck
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 16:49   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The only fluid that can possibly drip from the drain hole in the bell housing/gearbox join is engine oil or clutch fluid. Neither are good signs.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 17:00   #9
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The only fluid that can possibly drip from the drain hole in the bell housing/gearbox join is engine oil or clutch fluid. Neither are good signs.

TC
I also believe that you can get a leak from the Gear Box input shaft if it has been damaged when or if the clutch was done

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 17:04   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I also believe that you can get a leak from the Gear Box input shaft
Yep. That's not good either.

TC