Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2022, 15:55   #1
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Question Plenum rod bust!

As part of my continuing project to recommission one of my 75’s after a long SORN I did some Plenum rodding. This went fine until I cleared out what I think is called one of the 'Lower Plenum drains' ie the one just in front of the driver over the wing. There was quite a large clog which my trusty plenum rod eventually cleared – but in so doing it then shot down a couple of foot and stopped with a sort of thud. Unfortunately , upon retracting it I found it had snapped , leaving about 9 inches right down below. Somehow I need to get it out – but how ?! Do I recall that this drain flows water into the wheel arch – if so , I could remove the wheel arch liner to reach it ? Any observations / ideas welcome.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 20:49   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
As part of my continuing project to recommission one of my 75’s after a long SORN I did some Plenum rodding. This went fine until I cleared out what I think is called one of the 'Lower Plenum drains' ie the one just in front of the driver over the wing. There was quite a large clog which my trusty plenum rod eventually cleared – but in so doing it then shot down a couple of foot and stopped with a sort of thud. Unfortunately , upon retracting it I found it had snapped , leaving about 9 inches right down below. Somehow I need to get it out – but how ?! Do I recall that this drain flows water into the wheel arch – if so , I could remove the wheel arch liner to reach it ? Any observations / ideas welcome.
Not 100% sure but If you look underneath the car you might see it sticking down from the plenum tube, and you might be able to pull the offending piece out.

I know the passenger side goes thru to the floor when I have "Rodded" mine

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 20:59   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I believe that one exits under the brake servo. have a look at arctics posts by using the google search bar above " rodding plenums " or similar should bring it up.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 22:32   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
Hi Roger.
I think you are referring to the wing drain tubes, as in the photo below yes.

If yes then you will need to peel back the wheel arch liner and removed the object, couple of fixing grommets and it is easy,

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 09:05   #5
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up Appreciated

Thanks to all for your observations and yep , Steve, it is, indeed as per your photo. I have read , by the way , that this drain was only on Mk1 cars and blanked off in Mk 2's because it was too high and took no water away ? anyway , the confirmation I need get the arch liner off is appreciated. Will do that after have re-installed bonnet hinges , finished corrosion work on Slam Panel , reinstalled repolished headlights , got new condenser and intercooler in place and bumper back on! Oh , and yes , got resprayed bonnet to refit too. Then have some unpleasant dinges / scapes on rear bumper to smooth out and respray ( thanks careful parking people in Richmond!) . Car should then be fully recommissioned , in mint condition and on the road for summer.

Today I should also receive a new screen washer bottle pump which will install on another car – old pump somehow got cracked with a few other things I’ve had to get corrected when an old dog dived under my front in the dark a few months back. That car , too , now in more or less mint condition.

Great cars , great owners club.

All the best.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 17:15   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

As per Steve's photo the drain you have unblocked is the UPPER drain. The LOWER drains are further inboard and at the bottom of the plenum. There are two drains, one below the servo which is a pig to get to and the other one is below the ECU. These are the most important drains to keep checking/clear.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2022, 20:59   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

When I got my first ZT it was missing one of the upper drains. When I removed the wing liner I found it had been pushed down behind the liner. It just pushed back into it's hole from above so they are easy to remove /replace to recover your broken rod.
FWIW I use a long thin vase brush with a handle made of twisted wire. Works a treat.
Old 12th June 2022, 23:48   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
When I got my first ZT it was missing one of the upper drains. When I removed the wing liner I found it had been pushed down behind the liner. It just pushed back into it's hole from above so they are easy to remove /replace to recover your broken rod.
Quote:
FWIW I use a long thin vase brush with a handle made of twisted wire. Works a treat.
These are the best plenum drain rods you will ever use used to be FOC at Nano meets.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote