Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2022, 05:29   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default Imperial Measures

Hi, ive just read on BBC website that to mark the Queens Platinum Jubilee, theres going to be some announcement about reverting back to Imperial units. I hope this will only be a symbolic gesture and not a real full reversal of our partial metrication. As an ex maths teacher i know how much a full reversal will affect the national curriculum. It would have to be re written for mathematics and im sure kids would find it so much harder to deal with. Ive heard of muttering about this before, i suppose it fits into the idea of taking back control after Brexit.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 07:20   #2
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

It's a review:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/61621893

And:

The UK copied the law over when it left the EU to smooth its exit, but the review will now look at how, if at all, the regulation should change.

The BBC understands there is not expected to be any move away from metric units.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Oh I think there's going to be a change on which side of the road we drive on. From 1st Jan 2024 m/cycles, cars and light vans will be required to change over. 1st if April it will be vehicles up to 7.5 tons (not tonnes). Then if all goes well, all vehicles including hgvs, coaches and busses.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 29th May 2022 at 07:28..
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 07:41   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Is imperial taught in schools?
Some of us oldies flit between metric and imperial. Sometimes I prefer using imperial, sometimes I prefer using metric, depends on what I am measuring.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 07:46   #4
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

My eldest daughter (born 1973) went to a new school nearby, just opened. The Junior school headmaster (sadly now passed away) was a fantastic teacher, and I always remember one of his statements.
I can't remember his actual words, but he had the following belief.
Metric measurements were easy to calculate, being all 10x. But imperial measurements made us better at maths. We had to learn not just the 10x table but many others as well.
For instance: 3x (ft/yds), 12x (in/ft, & d/shilling), 8x (half crown/£, furlong/mile), 16x (oz/lb) - I could go on. We just got on with it, and understood what we were doing. She learnt both and can cope, but agreed with his belief.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 08:14   #5
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Theres more rigor using imperial units, metric much easier to manipulate. Forgetting history and politics, metric is the way to go.
Old 29th May 2022, 10:16   #6
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is imperial taught in schools?
Some of us oldies flit between metric and imperial. Sometimes I prefer using imperial, sometimes I prefer using metric, depends on what I am measuring.

macafee2
Metric is used in school mathematics teaching. In other subjects teachers can use what they like.
Old 29th May 2022, 10:20   #7
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hopefully someone will see sense and advise BoJo against. I seemed to recall that there was some talk of a bank holiday to celebrate Brexit, that seemed to disappear, you never know, it could come back again.
Old 29th May 2022, 10:21   #8
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I tend to use what's the most convenient, if its something like 1½" I'll use that but if its something awkward in inches I'll use MM.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 11:10   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I tend to use what's the most convenient, if its something like 1½" I'll use that but if its something awkward in inches I'll use MM.

My younger builder brother wouldn't let me anywhere near a tape measure when I used to give him a lift on jobs that needed two pair of hands I still use imperial & £ s d too to wind him up

Speaking of the imperial system My plumber mate had to get some imperial to metric couplings when he replaced two central heating radiators the other week.

We have lead mains water pipe coming into the house from the street which changes to imperial pipework halfway up the wall to the bedrooms which then goes back to lead pipework then back to imperial pipework then back to metric pipework in some rooms
Talk about a mishmash, the thing is nothing leaks so I ain't replacing it.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 11:17   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
My younger builder brother wouldn't let me anywhere near a tape measure when I used to give him a lift on jobs that needed two pair of hands I still use imperial & £ s d too to wind him up

Speaking of the imperial system My plumber mate had to get some imperial to metric couplings when he replaced two central heating radiators the other week.

We have lead mains water pipe coming into the house from the street which changes to imperial pipework halfway up the wall to the bedrooms which then goes back to lead pipework then back to imperial pipework then back to metric pipework in some rooms
Talk about a mishmash, the thing is nothing leaks so I ain't replacing it.

You have lead? I would have thought the water company would change that to probably plastic free of charge if you asked them or is it your responsibility?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote