Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th April 2013, 17:18   #1
Wyndzor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 Con Se CDTi T-99 – Headlight adjuster cog

Hello good people, my old Rover has failed an MOT due to "nearside headlight aim too low". Upon inspection I've found that the actual plastic hex unit including the cog has disappeared from the vertical adjuster spindle:

(I've borrowed this image from T-Cut on the MG rovers forum to show which part I'm talking about. I know the photo shows an offside unit but I couldn't find a picture of the nearside one.)

Does anyone know if its possible to get a replacement piece or to make some sort of rudimentary fix? I wouldn't want to fork out for a whole new headlight just because of this!

Thanks,

Matt
Wyndzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 19:21   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

welcome along, I doubt you'll get the cog separately...best bet is to contact all the traders and see if they've got a car with front end / damaged headlight.

To put it on you need a dab of glue, long nose pliers and a long screwdriver.

Put the glue in the hole of the cog, pop it over the shaft, and pull the shaft with the pliers and push the cog on with the screwdriver until the glue sets.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 19:36   #3
Dave-M
Avid contributor

ZT-T 135

Not sure if you can get the cogs separately, but when the adjuster worked loose on mine I did a 'quick fix' using the inside of a cable terminal block like this...

You just need the inside of one connector, then cut it in half so you have a short hollow block with a single screw in it. Slip it over the end of the adjuster rod and then use a pair of pliers to pull the adjuster rod out of the back of the lamp until it's at the correct height (line the beam up against a wall and compare it with the other side). Once it's in the correct position tighted the screw so that the rod is held in place.

It's just about do-able single handed, but easier if you can get someone else to tighten up the screw while you keep the light in position.

BTW - The 'quick fix' is still there 6 momths later!
Dave-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 20:29   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

You can pick up a headlamp unit from the scrappy cheap enough if you search around, but I also did a quick fix on mine about 3 years ago and it is still fine.

With the headlamps shining onto the garage door I pulled the gear wheel rod out until both headlamps were level and then wedged it in that position.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 18:52   #5
Wyndzor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for all your advice. I actually printed out your suggestions, took them in to the garage and Dave M's cable connector idea proved to be a winner! That little beauty got me through the MOT and the garage asked if they could keep the print out so they'd remember the fix for any other cars that could use it!
Wyndzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 17:21   #6
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi folks, I don't see how this works.

I have the same issue - the adjuster cog fell off and dropped into the engine bay somewhere. I assume the plastic has disintegrated.

You say you pull the spindle with pliers, but to me it looks like it rotates rather than goes in and out. Fixing the connector block inner to it won't do much because it would just spin round.

Maybe mine is different, or maybe I'm missing something.

BTW, my lights are Xenons. I have a spare set of halogen lights that were originally on the car. I've tried to remove the cog off one of those and they won't budge. I don't really want to damage the light unit either - even though it's not used, it's in excellent condition.
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 17:43   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_dente View Post
You say you pull the spindle with pliers, but to me it looks like it rotates rather than goes in and out. Fixing the connector block inner to it won't do much because it would just spin round.
It goes in/out. The plastic cog is (or should be!) fixed to the shaft and the adjuster is on a thread moving the shaft in/out. I did the connector block repair on my old 1.8T, lasted til the day I sold the car.

The cogs are a press fit onto the shaft, once they come off (usually due to corrosion on the shaft) they're impossible to secure again.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 21:06   #8
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the help on this folks. I've sorted the light alignment using the connector block method. 🥳
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 21:19   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

the big problem occurs when the other end ( the claw ) pulls away and separates from the rear of the light. i have put them back on pushing through from the back of the light and using the up/down switch levelling , but very difficult. if no joy,then in this case you will need to remove the headlight and repair. good luck.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 21:44   #10
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

My headlights are out at the moment. I'd better check them before they go back in.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote