Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th June 2022, 21:00   #11
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
it makes you wonder about paying the extra for premium tyre brands. whats the point if you are at risk with cracking tyres only a few years old ? hope you fare ok with your new tyres , but at £55 a corner , i have my doubts that they will be on there for a good while. ... all the best with that. ....
In my view, I could either splurge for premium tyres a little less frequently, or be frugal and buy budget tyres slightly more often - I've driven for over 50 years on all kinds of rubber in all kinds of cars and never felt unsafe. However at BigRuss's recently, which is about 40 motorway miles from my home, he pointed out the cracks in my tyres and I went home a little slower than on my outward journey.

I fitted 2 Autogreen SC1s on the front of my now dead PT Cruiser in 2018, and after 15000 miles tread was down to 3-4mm, but the casings looked OK. I think the problem with the tyres I got with the 75 was more lack of use - they've been a feature of many an MOT advisory over the last few years, when the car was averaging 500-1000 miles per year.

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 07:04   #12
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Nexens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Asian tires don't do it. I just bought a set of Nexen tires to replace the cracked Michelins. They were made in South Korea.

I've happily used Nexens for many years but I had to buy one last year which came from China.
Old 6th June 2022, 12:21   #13
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I've happily used Nexens for many years but I had to buy one last year which came from China.
Yeah, I see now they have a plant in China and one in Czech Republic.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 17:44   #14
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

not sure what the safety implications are of cracks in the tyres! Not exactly stressed at high speed but have 2 rear tyres on a David Brown 950 (tractor 1950's vintage) that I bought from a tyre place that had been abandoned by their original owners as they needed repairs because they had been punctured by tree branches. I paid for the repairs and they have been on the tractor for 35 years and are some years older than thet. They take the weight of hay turning equipment and the trailer that pulls the hay from meadow to barn. The tractor is kept out of the sun and rain in a shelter which may help but there are a few cracks showing. As long as the plys are sound I would have thought that the worst that could happen would be the air would leak through the cracks???
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 17:42   #15
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Tyres have a date code on to show when they were made. Perhaps some older stock is being supplied by fitting companies and so may be degrading before they even see tarmac?

https://good-garage-guide.honestjohn...des-explained/

https://danthetireman.com/blog/artic...t-numbers-mean

https://www.petebarden.co.uk/news/ar...-my-tyres.html

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 15:46   #16
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default Cracking

My ZS Petrol is fairly hard on rear tyres, something to do with the way it makes me smile when I throw it into a corner, my local stockists attempted to use the, they could blow out on you on the motorway, tactic. This car has always cracked rear tyres round the tread blocks and I just swap them about when they start to crack. Not had any issues in the last 130,000 miles.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 17:06   #17
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I've been on about this for a couple of years.

I even contacted the Goodyear technical people after being disappointed to see cracks in the Eagles I'd bought ( not too happy on the wear either to be honest)

I was told that it was something to do with the banning of certain chemicals in the black tyre colourant that was causing the cracking and that the major tyre firms were still working on a solution.

No mention during that conversation of cracking being caused because of lack of use.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 21:24   #18
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

yes ,they are working on it. .. and you can be sure the progress will be very slow. Too good for business to hurry ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 22:27   #19
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Car tyres have never lasted long enough to start cracking for me, I always used to need a new set every MOT, around 13,000-15,000 miles.

However I have noticed that the Pirellis (I think they're sport demons) fitted to my Royal Enfield are cracking in the tread. They're the original tyres, the bike was registered in 2017, it had only done 70 miles when I bought it at 2 years old in March 2019. They've still got plenty of life left in them as it's still only done approx. 2200 miles now, but there are definite cracks there. I think the date on them is around mid 2016, so around 6 years old now. When it's not been out on the road, it has been kept in a dark garage, with no windows, for the last 3 years, so I'd guess UV doesn't really make a difference.

Oddly, my Buell which I sold earlier this year, had the same tyres on for around 7 years, covering maybe a total of 2000 miles in that time, and they had no cracks at all. They were Avon Storm 2 Ultra.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2022, 05:46   #20
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Recently bought 8 Michelin crossclimate plus tires for 1200 euros, and need 4 extra to replace the 12 year old Avons on the dorchester. I will buy 12 wheelcovers to protect them from UV light, this should make them degrading slower. So total of 1700 euro for 12 tires, well worth paying an extra 120 euro for 3 sets of wheelcovers. Works if not being used daily ofcourse.