Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2022, 10:08   #21
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Once again, we have a postthat has turned into a quasi political rant. Try posting in the social section if you want to talk politics please.
another thread for the social area, which is lately the go to part of the club it's a R75 MGZT club lets please remember this, politics and other nonsensical threads/post belong in the social area or not on here at all.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=be...client=gws-wiz

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 31st May 2022 at 10:11..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 11:11   #22
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
not sure i heard the news right- is the UK going back to imperial measurement?
Surely not, i would have thought as most of the world is using metric it would be better to continue to use it!!

Not at all - the whole thing is just about getting rid of some of the more ridiculous laws left over from our time in the EU.

When we joined the EU everything had to be labelled with metric units, but to save the traditional pint of beer, and if I remember correctly milk, could continue to be sold in pints.

So far so good, but what if you wanted a pint of shandy? Well under EU law that's illegal to sell because the lemonade part had to be sold in metric units, so legally they would have had to sell you half a pint of beer and 284ml of lemonade.

Makes good sense to me to get rid of all this nonsense and let everyone sell things in the quantities they want, but as Mrs Noc has often said "What do you know, you're just a milk machine mechanic"
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 12:02   #23
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Isn't this just really a lot of hot air, to divert attention from the rule and law breaking PM?
We have always been able to switch from metric to imperial, as we need to, for instance, if I'm measuring something, i prefer to use Metric, but at the same time, I prefer to order my beer in pints, and i understand both systems, and both have their merits,
Its really just another way to some how increase his appeal by appealing to the little Englander who believed the idiotic lie that we can somehow stop the world and get off, or turn the clock back to a time when you never saw foreign faces and the only strange accents you heard were them op north,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 22:18   #24
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

pounds and ounces yes and Yards..... love it so much better... with the minds eye... Good old Miles were never gone anyway...

This is so much better and remember up to the year 2000 16LB turkey for Christmas, yeap all for it imperial measures all the way PERIOD!!
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 16:55   #25
Bazzateer

I thought it was just about not having to give precedence to metric measurements any more? If that's correct then there's a few people over-reacting on here and elsewhere. Most of us manage to use both for varying purposes, and we will continue to do so.

Keep calm and carry on!
Old 5th June 2022, 04:22   #26
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Here in Canada we have had metric for about as long as the UK, however not having the EU over here to enforce rules some industries have stayed mostly imperial. The construction industry for example is imperial, using inches and feet in measurements, except for plywood and other sheet goods which is metric, however as we are next to the USA which stayed imperial (The US version of it anyway) our metric plywood corresponds to their imperial thicknesses. This happens with fluids sold in Canada as well. We buy motor oil and other fluids in 946ml containers which correspond to a US quart. Wine however comes in 750ml and 1L bottles.
Odd, I know but it works pretty well and people have adjusted to it.
Old 5th June 2022, 07:48   #27
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Yes a lot of people are over reacting. It's a review of a lot of the EU rules and regs. Some will go, some stay, some will no doubt be used in parallel. Anyway, quite possibly, most of our former fellow EU members probably ignored a good number of them anyway.

I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested we go back to pounds, shillings and pence, big old white fivers and a 10 bob note.

Happy days.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 08:16   #28
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Seems to me the world is currently full of politicians lacking good old common sense,they keep coming up with addressing issues that dont exist and ignore the
obvious real world issues affecting everyday peoples living.
Educated idiots i think twiddling their thumbs!!
Don't confuse education with being in a position to send your kids to fee paying schools and then to Oxbridge that is privilege NOT education what these idiots need is a lesson in humility, just because you read English or History at Oxford doesn't make you educated
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote