Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th May 2022, 14:28   #1
Wicksie

Rover 75 saloon

Default anybody changed the main fuel line on a V6 ?

Had the main fuel connector come of on my V6 twice, which is quite dramatic on the move, and have decided to replace it as the locking tabs are clearly worn
There starts the problem.
The plastic lining of the existing hose is rock hard after 21 years and will not expand to allow the new connector to be fitted.
I cannot find any OEM replacement hose so have elected to fit a new length of rubber 0.8mm ID pipe to the latest E10 spec and with new connectors front and back it should be fine and importantly safe.
Anybody got any comments or tips for the task? - I am assuming that it is fairly straightforward, just disconnection from the pump, unclipping it and connecting it up and leak checking. Oh and I suppose the engine undertray comes off for access too.
Thanks
Wicksie
Wicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 20:37   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

how bad are the locking tabs ? i have straightened them back into shape in the past. if you are careful and they are not ripped or have cracks they can be reworked. they only hold the pipe in situ once its entered. fit new seals first and have a try. usually they only want bending in a touch to hold the pipe. usually thats all that is wrong they need bending in , and will open to size as you push in the tube even if they are too tight. you will soon know if they hold with a good tug .!! make sure the new seals are set identical to the positions they were in either side of the spacer.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 08:40   #3
Wicksie

Rover 75 saloon

I was very reluctant to do what you are suggesting - the first time the pipe became detached it was after refitting the pipe after a manifold removal for belt change.
I thought it had maybe been not correctly fitted so was extra careful to check that the connector was fully home and tugged it vigorously as you yourself mention.
One week later the pipe became detached at speed on the M27!
Luckily I was able to pull onto the hard shoulder and coast to the next junction. Again I re fitted the pipe and limped home in the slow lane.
That was time in my view to replace the connector and it is removed from the hose and a new one obtained.
I do not consider messing about with this part is a safe option, the hose itself is date stamped 11/99 so they are both being scrapped.
When this part lets go the hose sprays fuel at high pressure into the engine bay until the ignition is switched off - that is not something I want risk again hence replacing the connector and hose.
Old 29th May 2022, 19:17   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

well all i can say is that the tabs were in a right state, and have been mutilated by someone at some point. never the less i think you have done the correct thing and renewed the connection. better safe than sorry i guess. ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 13:20   #5
Wicksie

Rover 75 saloon

I have compared my discarded connector with the new replacement and
1. the four plastic strips which seem to be the springs that hold the tab in the closed position are now pretty flabby compared to the new part
2. the two locking tabs are rounded off compared to the nice defined straight rear edges on the new part.
I worked it out that the hose has been removed over 4 times in it's life, based on the car's service record, so I think it's overdue binning.
PS. I found an old post on this forum in which the owner had an identical problem to me and was also lucky to get of the road safely- he was looking for a new part but no feed back on success