Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2021, 14:26   #41
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
By the time they reach France there's only the dregs left with one reason they want to get to the UK, . . .

Could that be the high risk of being murdered, limbs removed, close family disposed of etc?

Look at our history: has not our scientific and cultural knowledge to say nothing of a multitude of energetic small businesses been started and enhanced by immigrants? Doesn't the fella in no. 10 have some Turkish roots? (OK can't win 'em all).
Old 26th November 2021, 15:14   #42
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Could that be the high risk of being murdered, limbs removed, close family disposed of etc?

Look at our history: has not our scientific and cultural knowledge to say nothing of a multitude of energetic small businesses been started and enhanced by immigrants? Doesn't the fella in no. 10 have some Turkish roots? (OK can't win 'em all).
I thought he was American!

As to the risk of being murdered, how likely is that in France (as one example of a western European country)? The fact that France receives three times as many asylum applications as the UK would suggest that the vast majority of arrivals feel perfectly safe there.
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 15:39   #43
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I find the current situation with regard to these migrants as tragic, not a subject to make fun of.
This "tragic" situation would not exist if we had a robust border control and the illegal immigrants were treated as such. Genuine assylum seekers do not need to enter the country via these dangerous routes. If they can afford to pay thousands to people smugglers, they can afford to enter in a legal fashion via the proper routes using legal papers and passports.I would never make fun of a tragic situation but of our way of dealing with and policing our border.
Old 26th November 2021, 16:05   #44
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

[QUOTE=MSS;2909664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

Ian - I think you need to edit your post as some comments made by others are appearing to be attributed to Simondi.

I suspect that anyone who has read my posts would realise what side of the fence I sit on regarding this and other issues.

For avoidance of doubt, we have a basic human responsibility to look after people.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 16:27   #45
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Are you questioning the viability of Priti Patel's latest plan?

There is a school of thought that the skill shortage is largely a smokescreen manufactured by business and financial leaders in order to justify either exporting UK jobs to places of lower pay and therefore cost or importing lower-paid workers through various visa schemes.

Many of our high-tech companies have been offshoring jobs or onshoring low-cost workers for years whilst at the same time offering redundancy packages to 50+ age high paid professionals. There is a large population of UK professionals not working in their areas of expertise as a result of the above. I don't believe this is going to change.

So the choice may be between allowing these jobs to be offshored, to countries such as China, thus funding their strategic aspirations, or taking in migrants to perform jobs at equivalent low pay rates.

What would the contributors to this thread choose?
Spot on, though there are other factors but all this baloney about many of them having skills is utter tosh. Even if there are a few that have and get jobs it means as a country we don't want to upskill native personnel!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 16:40   #46
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
And the idea that people come here because they 'won't be executed for rape' - seriously? The illegal immigrants may well be after all the benefits our country has to offer, but the suggestion that they are sexual predators looking for a safe haven to carry out appalling crimes is just absurd.
There have been a number of such incidents if one read's the court papers but the punishment is very lenient. I have to admit, though, in Eritriea and Somalia (the two regions where the perpetrators I read about) came from it is considered to be the female who is at fault. However, commit rape in either of those countries. as a foreigner, as see what sanction you would get.

We have enough naughty native people and don't need to import more.

Kev
Old 26th November 2021, 16:58   #47
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
I thought he was American!

Well yes, but: "Johnson's paternal grandfather Osman Wilfred Kemal, was born to Ali Kemal’s first wife Winifred Brun, an Anglo-Swiss woman, while the Kuneralp siblings came from Kemal’s second marriage with Sabiha Hanim, a Turkish woman, who was the daughter of a prominent Ottoman pasha."

And . . . according to another website (FindMyPast) he and Cameron (remember him?) are both distantly related to King George 11 but via an illegitimate line. Make of that what you will.
Old 26th November 2021, 17:01   #48
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Interesting pictures you have included at the bottom of the post. Are you able to explain what the middle one is trying to say?

To anyone not familar with this thread, I suspect Israel will be the odd one out because it is the only country of the lot that has not been liberated by western countries or our allies in recent years from the rule of their chosen dictators.
The western allies haven't invaded Syria or Yemen as far as I can recall, when the rule of law is decided by tribes as it is in many places such as these, you get countries imploding. The western allies tried to bring normality to some of these places but, the second the countries are handed back they revert back to tribal rule.

I'll throw a name in here...Elin Krantz.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 17:22   #49
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
And . . . according to another website (FindMyPast) he and Cameron (remember him?) are both distantly related to King George 11 but via an illegitimate line. Make of that what you will.
Well, mongrels are supposed to be more genetically able to withstand certain diseases

Kev
Old 26th November 2021, 17:22   #50
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

One of the attractions might just be the attitude to women, particularly girls. I imagine, in my admitted naivety, that fathers all over the world might be as protective of their children as we are.

To whit: one of our MP's is currently presenting a bill for a new law to make illegal a particularly intrusive medical examination of young girls about to marry. Some of them very young.

I'm told the bill has only to go through the Lord's to be on the statute book. No need to go into details I'm sure, but such invasive treatment is horrific and is, as I understand it, endemic in certain areas of the country. Why else would the children be in those boats?