Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2009, 20:50   #1
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Default Waxwings. Never Seen One Before Today!

Mrs G and I were taking a drive along to the Council Dump today when she suddenly shouted "stop the car".

Reversed and saw some birds in a tree! Went back home, picked up the camera and took some pics of these lovely guys.....

I knew straight away that they were Waxwings but I've never seen one in the flesh before, let alone a mini flock of them. Lovely!

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 20:56   #2
Lambrettaman

rover 75 1.8 connoisseur auto

Default waxwings

Hi, I feed the birds all winter and have yet to see one of these, they're great pictures. Went to Aldi today and bought one of these (see attachment) for £39 which comes with in-box camera for watching the birds nesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Product_detail_Wk0709S9.jpg (33.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Lambrettaman; 9th February 2009 at 09:12..
Lambrettaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 22:06   #3
dionh
Regular poster

MG ZT-T cdti 135

Hi Colin,

I bet you were surprised to find them still there on your return. My experience usually involves rushing back home for binos/camera, returning to spot to where bird was, only to find that it is no longer there.

I've only ever seen Waxwings once and that was several years ago in the top of some pine trees about half a mile away from here. Of course I didn't have binos/camera with me at the time!

Great photos. What are they feeding on and what is that metal rail thing in the last photo?

Di.

Last edited by dionh; 8th February 2009 at 22:07.. Reason: Spelling
dionh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 06:01   #4
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionh View Post
Hi Colin,

I bet you were surprised to find them still there on your return. My experience usually involves rushing back home for binos/camera, returning to spot to where bird was, only to find that it is no longer there.

I've only ever seen Waxwings once and that was several years ago in the top of some pine trees about half a mile away from here. Of course I didn't have binos/camera with me at the time!

Great photos. What are they feeding on and what is that metal rail thing in the last photo?

Di.
Definitely a big surprise. We were only a couple of hundred yards frommthe house so it wasn't THAT much of a surprise. What was a surprise was that, once we'd been to the dump, about three miles away, we came back to find them still there! So I got another pic from the car and stepped out to cross the road to get a better close-up, at which point they decided they'd done enough posing and took off.

They were perched in that tall tree most of the time. In the last pic they have come down to a hedge with a fence running alongside to pick at the berries although I'm not sure what kind. It was fantastic to see.

Old 9th February 2009, 16:17   #5
podge

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

SWMBO a great birdlover tells me they have come down from Norway/Sweden as they usually overwinter in Scotland but its too cold up there at the moment.....love that last shot.P.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 18:18   #6
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Default There's More

Went out this morning for a walk and, lo and behold, they were there again. Obviously there for the berries.

However, this time there must have been around fifty of them in the top of an larger tree, but in the same place. Of course, by the time I'd gone back for the camera (!!) they had spread out so it was difficult to get a good idea from a photo of the scale of the flock. Here goes anyway.....

This wasn't all of them. Some were behind and to the left too, out of shot.

And my favourite shot....

Old 10th February 2009, 18:04   #7
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Fantastic photos! Must be great to see them so much.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 06:19   #8
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

It is! We got back from Dublin late on Wednesday night and yesterday morning passed the same area and they were still there! There can't be many of those berries left now.

Old 1st March 2009, 23:57   #9
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

That's answered a question! Brill, the other day I was sat looking out the window, and this vast flock of birds, mustve been well over 500 in total hopped from tree to tree across our garden, never seen them before and hadn't a clue what they were, and they were headed vaguely north, your photo's are brill and that is catagorically them, they weren't feeding or anything, and passed through really quickly cnsidering the volume of birds there were, do they migrate then? Ive never seen them any other year, very pretty things really, I thought they were more common in the land of porridge up north?
W953 BJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 07:14   #10
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Morning guys... I didn't realise these guys were so sparse! Here in Shrewsbury I see them often on the walk to work, which is along a path in the woodland beside the town. Should they be there again I shall try to grab a shot as now I've said that I bet they've flown!!
Doubt my pics will be anything like Colin's as they're brilliant...