Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2017, 16:37   #21
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Gents,

A couple of points may be of help in avoiding issues the future.

1. The "discount for a fixed period" type deals are the norm in the utilities industry. Discounts are not withdrawn - they are given for a set period of time and then they lapse. The buyer is aware of the discount and associated period at the time of purchase.

2. I looked at electricity supply offers recently, which I do every few years. It appears that some people confuse 'x% reduction on normal tariff for a fixed period' with 'fixed price tariff for a period'. The two are not the same - judicious buying based on research and knowledge is key to a successful partnership with your service suppliers.

3. Anyone who believes that our established service providers such as BT, British Gas, the Thames Water etc. have a "state company" mindset clearly does not have a clue as to how competitive and regulated the UK marketplace is for telecomms and energy services. In the UK, every sale for a telephone line, BB service, gas/electricity contract is highly contested by the competing servce providers.

4. Don't confuse one company's willingness to invest £billions in the UK's infrastructure with monopolistic behaviour. Such opportunities are available to all businesses but very few are willing to take the risk because the payback and rewards and low and long-term. Just ask yourself why so few companies were willing to bid for the Broadband Uk contracts.

Here are two links that will demonstrate the reality of how competitive the UK telecomms (particularly telephones and broadband) has become.

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/home-...-overview.html

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...y-overview.pdf

Finally, there is a lot of mis-information spread by mis-informed, self-styled "expert" people. In fact, I believe that we are becoming a nation of angry, armchair critics against success. Don't give in to the hate, it will lead to self destruction and no worthwhile jobs will be left for yourselves and your offspring when we've killed of all our competitive and successful businesses. Think of the MGR example!

Happy surfing!

Last edited by MSS; 21st April 2017 at 20:07..
Old 21st April 2017, 18:13   #22
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

And there is also a lot of twaddle spoken by others. BT still has a monopoly over Broadband services due to Ofcom's proposals not going far enough.

www.thisismoney>article-3708277

I am unable to cut and paste just now so if there is a problem with the link then just google it - you get some really good analysis of just how monolithic and out of touch BT is.

Open reach is to be a seperate legal company - "distinct" is the term used as this legally recognises that Openreach will still be part of BT!

Other providers have made it clear that Ofcom's proposals do not go far enough.

And from my own personal experience - both in my armchair and out of it - I totally agree with them.
Old 21st April 2017, 18:34   #23
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I read BT and TalkTalk (spits) are very close to the bottom of the table at the mo. Only 6mths in but happy with Plusnet so far, and SWMBO got a very good deal with a sim only mobile deal.The mobile uses the EE network.
Old 21st April 2017, 19:55   #24
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
And there is also a lot of twaddle spoken by others. BT still has a monopoly over Broadband services due to Ofcom's proposals not going far enough.

www.thisismoney>article-3708277

I am unable to cut and paste just now so if there is a problem with the link then just google it - you get some really good analysis of just how monolithic and out of touch BT is.

Open reach is to be a seperate legal company - "distinct" is the term used as this legally recognises that Openreach will still be part of BT!

Other providers have made it clear that Ofcom's proposals do not go far enough.

And from my own personal experience - both in my armchair and out of it - I totally agree with them.
The term monopoly is totally irrelevant in this context. The fact that it is used in the title of the linked article is indicative of the bias and mis-positioning.

Virgin have installed their own infrastructure and do not rely on BT. Others could do the same if they chose to invest the huge sums involved. The reason they do not, is that they are unable to develop a business model which works and delivers short-term profits.

So, the competitors attack the businesses which are successful. That is the nature of the game and it is nothing new.

The analogy here would be car makers such as Renault and Ford pushing for PSA'a car and diesel engine making divisions to be split because PSA has both and supplies diesel engines to other manufacturers such as Ford. We would not hear the French proposing such splits - they (and the Germans) would rally to protect their highly successful engineering businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
I read BT and TalkTalk (spits) are very close to the bottom of the table at the mo. Only 6mths in but happy with Plusnet so far, and SWMBO got a very good deal with a sim only mobile deal.The mobile uses the EE network.
That is not the view of the Ofcom service report to which I linked ablove.
Old 21st April 2017, 20:22   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

You do more for those of a differing view to you than you can possibly imagine!
Old 21st April 2017, 20:49   #26
MSS
This is my second home

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

You do more for those of a differing view to you than you can possibly imagine!
I take it that you have run out of misinformation for today then?

Last edited by MSS; 22nd April 2017 at 11:45..
Old 21st April 2017, 22:51   #27
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
1. The "discount for a fixed period" type deals are the norm in the utilities industry. Discounts are not withdrawn - they are given for a set period of time and then they lapse. The buyer is aware of the discount and associated period at the time of purchase.
BT are more than happy to write to/email me about new products,price increases and how wonderful they are but not so good at letting me know the discounted period is about to lapse.I have to agree with the earlier comment that they sneakily revert to the "full" price without notice.At the very least the onus should be on BT to send out a reminder that the current deal is about to expire.I also agree that BT's discounts only brings them into line with what other mainstream providers are charging.They do have a state owned mentality because of their size in the market,it boders on arrogance and a lack of integrity.

Old 22nd April 2017, 06:33   #28
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Gents,

A couple of points may be of help in avoiding issues the future.

2. I looked at electricity supply offers recently, which I do every few years. It appears that some people confuse 'x% reduction on normal tariff for a fixed period' with 'fixed price tariff for a period'. The two are not the same - judicious buying based on research and knowledge is key to a successful partnership with your service suppliers.

3. Anyone who believes that our established service providers such as BT, British Gas, the Thames Water etc. have a "state company" mindset clearly does not have a clue as to how competitive and regulated the UK marketplace is for telecomms and energy services. In the UK, every sale for a telephone line, BB service, gas/electricity contract is highly contested by the competing servce providers.

4. Don't confuse one company's willingness to invest £billions in the UK's infrastructure with monopolistic behaviour. Such opportunities are available to all businesses but very few are willing to take the risk because the payback and rewards and low and long-term. Just ask yourself why so few companies were willing to bid for the Broadband Uk contracts.

Here are two links that will demonstrate the reality of how competitive the UK telecomms (particularly telephones and broadband) has become.

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/home-...-overview.html

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...y-overview.pdf

Finally, there is a lot of mis-information spread by mis-informed, self-styled "expert" people. In fact, I believe that we are becoming a nation of angry, armchair critics against success. Don't give in to the hate, it will lead to self destruction and no worthwhile jobs will be left for yourselves and your offspring when we've killed of all our competitive and successful businesses. Think of the MGR example!

Happy surfing!
Geez! what do you eat?
Explain this then....BT developed fibre optic cable, why sell it after all those years of development?
Ken.
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:51   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Geez! what do you eat?
Explain this then....BT developed fibre optic cable, why sell it after all those years of development?
Ken.
Two Weetabix - I tried three yesterday but did not quite manage!

Developing the fundamentals of a technology is not the same as rediness to roll it out on a mass scale. In particular, you need high-capacity electronics to manage the volume of traffic.

People are still confusing the winning of a significant market share in a fiercly competitive market (the UK BB and lines market) with being a monopoly - it is infact the exact opposite to being a monopoly. Look at the numbers on the pie chart - no one company has a monopoly in the UK BB market.

I am doing no more here than I do in relation to the likes of Rimmers - highlighting that whilst individual experiences and views are very important, when sharing in public, they need to be accurate and there needs to differentiation between prejudices and facts.

Do we the UK populus really want to do to our remaining successful busiensses what we did to MGR?

Time for the third weetabix in order to prepare for what is to come!

Correction: apologies - I was thinking of Shrtedded Wheat

"Shredded wheat - Bet He Cant Eat Three"

Last edited by MSS; 22nd April 2017 at 15:13..
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:26   #30
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Two Weetabix - I have tried three yesterday but did not quite manage!

Developing the fundamentals of a technology is not the same as rediness to roll it out on a mass scale. In particular, you need high-capacity electronics to manage the volume of traffic.

People are still confusing the winning of a significant market share in a fiercly competitive market (the UK BB and lines market) with being a monopoly - it is infact the exact opposite to being a monopoly. Look at the numbers on the pie chart - no one company has a monopoly in the UK BB market.

I am dong no more here than I do in relation to the likes of Rimmers - highlighting that whilst individual experiences and views are very important, when sharing in public, they need to be accurate and there needs to differentiation between prejudices and facts.

Do we the UK populus really want to do to our remaining successful busiensses what we did to MGR?

Time to try the third weetabix.
I knew that
Ken.
Closed Thread