Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2015, 17:48   #31
InBlack1983

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienhoulton View Post
Cant seem to get my head around this, if it has turned grey are you guys saying it will go black again if I use one of the different products mentioned.

Julien
It did on mine brought it up perfect!

Regards

* Replaced carpet trims.

* Upgraded number plate bulbs.

* Upgraded front door speakers.

* Fixed rear passenger door lock.

* Replaced driver side front chrome trim.

* Fixed front armrest storage box.

* Replaced car mats.

* Replaced key fob.

Looking out for -

A replacement gear knob insert.

A replacement glove box light.
InBlack1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 20:56   #32
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienhoulton View Post
Cant seem to get my head around this, if it has turned grey are you guys saying it will go black again if I use one of the different products mentioned.

Julien
Jep, that's pretty much it. If done correctly you can make a huge difference on the level of blackness.
In some cases it can't be restored for 100%, but you will achieve a big improvement.

Why not try it out? Just use anything oily (even WD40 works for a few days). If it satisfies your expectations, than get yourself some proper car-dressing, and you'll achieve an even better effect.
Old 8th June 2015, 21:00   #33
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

Good scrub with pac... all purpose cleaner and if it turns black again when wet or nearly black again then the Gtechniq should bring it back, there is also the Quartz Dlux a similar product.

However if it does not go black when wet after the pac clean then the expensive Gtechniq won't restore it.

So give a good clean as stated then treat with carplan Black trim wax... wear gloves as messy in application but can work a real treat, used on scooters and top boxes still on years later as they are not in the sun all the time but tried on work vans and still going two years later even if not as dark as first application and they are out in everything i can tell its still there as i did 50/50 on them both....
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 21:07   #34
James_Death
Gets stuck in

Carplan trim wax test...

Well back in April i decided to do a test on one of the work vans with its bleached black bumpers.

Carplan black wax on the left and Mer bumper wax on the right as you look at it in the pictures.

About a week or so later the Mer had given up but the carplan black trim wax still going strong on the left.

Now well into December... still going....:thumb:

Great Going for a sub £5 product.

Couple trim treatments tested...

I decided on a whim to try the CarPlan Black Trim along side some other trim restoring products main stream and not so...:lol:

To be tested on one very very bleached out Black roof box, yes it was originally black before many years of UV damage changed it to Grey....:lol:

Box was repeatedly cleaned with APC and finally washed down dried & Taped up...

Bring on the Contenders...:wave:

Once applied... and tape removed...

After which i decided heck ill try the Old CarPlan Black Trim Wax since i had used it a good few years ago on a bleached out top box on a scooter.

Here is the CarPlan Black Trim Wax applied...:thumb:

The Carplan Black Trim wax giving the deepest black back to the box and actually standing out a mile above the others as it actually did regain a black look....:thumb:

The roof Box went on Holiday with us some 500+ miles to the Cornish Coast
Left on the coast for a week while we went to the Scilly isles.

Drove back and gave the Box a wash after removal all products still visible although the Chemical Guys Trim Gel was Greatly reduced.

The Tesco Groundnut Oil was still holding well against the others.

The Box would remain outside all weathers in full sun for another month with another wash in between.

The Chemical Guys Had virtually Gone by 2 weeks and the Groundnut Oil Was dropping back now.

Others holding up well.

So come another wash and after just over a Month since application...

I kept an eye on these with the odd wash and after a Month the Chemical Guys Trim gel has had it and also the Tesco Ground Nut Oil.

Now the Mer Bumper gel has maintained a constant finish the Carpro Dlux seams to have failed on the very high point but could be down to not applying enough but it has failed in that section.

The CarPlan Black Trim Wax has remained constant it may not have beaded as the Mer and Carpro Had although they are about spent on that front.

However the CarPlan Black Trim Wax has and still remains the darkest finish and constant finish now some 5 Months Later.

You can see in this shot the Mer Bumper Gel Still Visible but very dull but still held on all over, the section of failure of the Carpro Dlux and its patchy in a few small spots.
The CarPlan Black Trim Wax still remains the Darkest.

After washing... and Rinsing...

Last edited by James_Death; 8th June 2015 at 21:15..
Old 9th June 2015, 07:10   #35
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Next time for your test, apply 2 coats of a dressing (less important which one), apply it very generously and 1 week in between. After that give it a normal wash with car shampoo, and apply some Carpro Reload (possibly 2 coats if the plastic is really bad). In my experience this gives a very nice deep black finish, with good protection going for about 6 months.

Just remember, whatever you are using, you are masking the faded look. None of these products are really countering the years of UV damage that made the plastic fade. There isn't anything that can fully restore the UV damage to plastic.
Old 9th June 2015, 12:08   #36
James_Death
Gets stuck in

You could possibly get some of the oils back up with a heat gun but prevention from fade is best in the long run.

The black trim wax works so well so cheaply and last well also.... or by a new old stock replacement...
Old 11th June 2015, 07:44   #37
Paul129
Regular poster

Living in hope for a 75

How about some sun block factor 50 lol!
Paul129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 17:55   #38
James_Death
Gets stuck in

Makeup and sun cream are two of the worst things to get on black trim. Shame as sunblock would be handy.