Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2009, 22:10   #1
Colin.Tinker
Regular poster

Rover 75 contemporary SE tourer CDTi

Default Front lower suspension arm ball joint died! 2L Tourer. 04 reg.

I've had a clonking from the front passenger side of my car for the last month. Noticable at slow speeds over minor bumps. This evening I decided to investigate and found the culprit to be the ball joint on the front lower suspension arm. It has a lot of play and clonks very easily when the car is jacked up and the wheel is rocked. My question is.... can this ball joint be bought as a part and then fitted into the suspension arm? Mr Haynes reckons in his manual that there is a possibility of this. Has anyone fitted this part or is a complete new suspension arm required?

If I do have to buy a new suspension arm where would be the best place to go for best price? An information greatly appreciated. I'll fit it myself.... when the rain and snow stops!!!

Thanks,

Colin.
Colin.Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 22:27   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Cannot see anything listed separately, but it might be best to ring Rimmers who would know better.

Parts are Different on the Tourers for auto box/Manual box/V6 2 litre and diesel 2 Litre.
So need to know what you have.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 22:34   #3
Colin.Tinker
Regular poster

Thanks John. I've a 2 litre diesel tourer. Manual gearbox.
Old 9th February 2009, 23:04   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Mr Haynes says: 'At the time of writing, only the bush is available separately. If either balljoint requires renewal, the lower arm should be renewed.'

That was and is the situation. It isn't possible to replace just the balljoints, which are machine swaged into the arm. You can of course renew the boots and clips using plastic sleeves included in the kit, to aid fitting.

Best prices can probably be found on eBay: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__rover...86Q2ec0Q2em282

Last edited by T-Cut; 9th February 2009 at 23:20..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 12:52   #5
gerrygoacher
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin.Tinker View Post
I've had a clonking from the front passenger side of my car for the last month. Noticable at slow speeds over minor bumps. This evening I decided to investigate and found the culprit to be the ball joint on the front lower suspension arm. It has a lot of play and clonks very easily when the car is jacked up and the wheel is rocked. My question is.... can this ball joint be bought as a part and then fitted into the suspension arm? Mr Haynes reckons in his manual that there is a possibility of this. Has anyone fitted this part or is a complete new suspension arm required?

If I do have to buy a new suspension arm where would be the best place to go for best price? An information greatly appreciated. I'll fit it myself.... when the rain and snow stops!!!

Thanks,

Colin.
I thought you might be interested in reading this web page: Before deciding to do it yourself
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...eferrerid=2999
gerrygoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 20:56   #6
Colin.Tinker
Regular poster

Smile

Thanks every one for the help. I 'phoned Rimmer Brothers today only to be told they couldn't get the suspension part and that I would have to do a "nationwide search"! Whilst on the 'phone I sourced the part from a local scrapyard for £23. They will remove the part from their car and actually warrant it for 3 months against failiure. What a bargain. If I need another one in the future I'll look on e bay.... there's loads. Thanks T-Cut for the link.

Regards,

Colin.