Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2018, 12:28   #1
TheSnowMan
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Question FFS or not FFS this is the question.

Hi Guys & Girls!

I wonder if any members can shed some light on a current issue with my Rover 75.

Nearly a week ago now, I had just gone for a big shop and loaded the car up with goodies and picked up my son and his girlfriend 40 mile trip so the engine was well warmed up as well as it being a scorcher (Bear with me on this one)

After starting the car it was fine until 2 mins out of the car park and then the engine died suddenly and I was unable to start it again. Called the AA (and the better half to collect the shopping and kids) and waited a total of almost 4 hours (with various BS from the AA for delays)

Whilst I was waiting I started looking up on the forums and found FFS and the FOC and thought, well it sounds very much like this... I had already recently had the back seat off so I had a little wiggle of the leads to the pump side (Thought they might of been pinched when I put the seat back) and and tried to start the car once more. Fired up 1st time no problem. I had a little test drive and thought well I might as well try and get home. Of which I did and was a happy chappy.

Next morning I thought I'll see if she fires up? No problem, 1st time as always. Later that afternoon I thought I'll check for the FOC, took off the covers for both the pump and filter and checked for it on the filter it wasn't there BUT it didn't seem unclipped so put everything back together again and tried to start her up again.

Again 1st time it started and I left it idling for a bit, I even managed to get my ELM reader on reading values from the ECU it did show No fuel pressure, but I'm not sure whether this was always the case (It only cost a tenner) plus the engine was running fine, until maybe a few minutes later I could hear the pump humming but then it developed an erratic slight clunking/knocking noise (a bit like something was hitting with with a small hammer) seconds later revs went up and down and then the engine cut out.

Engine ignition off, engine ignition on, I can hear the pump priming 3-4 seconds then tried to start. Nothing, full speed from the starter motor, nothing. Tried a few times with same result, every 2nd or 3rd go pump didn't prime and the engine starter motor just turns over 10-15 seconds with no luck. By this time its getting dark and had to stop.

So, question is, does this sound like FFS and should I go ahead and fit the FOC re seat it (and replace the O seal) or is this a pump problem and I should look further at the pump? or could the noise I'm hearing be coming from the filter fuel lines connected to the pump? or is this a hot engine problem and I should look at cam sensors and the like?? (No error codes are present, at least on my cheapo reader)

Any ideas? has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before?

Cheers in advance
Tony
TheSnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 12:32   #2
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Cam sensor failure is a common problem on the Mondeo - Not sure about the 75 though.
Old 24th May 2018, 12:48   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

No harm in giving the filter casing a twist to make sure it's airtight. Some people use a self tapper instead of the clip to stop it moving. As said, cam sensor or crank sensor might be dodgy
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 13:55   #4
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
No harm in giving the filter casing a twist to make sure it's airtight. Some people use a self tapper instead of the clip to stop it moving. As said, cam sensor or crank sensor might be dodgy
Just ordered my white clip and o ring to be on safe side.😗

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 18:45   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

IMO, all later petrol models should fave a FOC fitted as a matter of course. If MGR hadn't failed when it did, most of these cars would have got one free with a routine service. MGR instructed their service depots to fit them as cars came in for a service. Unfortunately, the vast majority of later petrol models didn't get the FOC, so are vulnerable to FFS. They will all, sooner or later, be affected by it. You're wise to fit one even if your current issue is due to something else.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 07:50   #6
TheSnowMan
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Smile FOC and Pump noise

Thanks for all the response, I will certainly fit the clip and new o-ring just to eliminate that

I had another quick look last night, and got a vid of the pump noise, its not a clunking noise, its more of a clicking noise, sounds a bit like mad morse code!! is there a relay in there?

Is there a way to upload the video so bods can have a gander?

Cheers again
Tony
Old 25th May 2018, 08:28   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnowMan View Post
... got a vid of the pump noise, its not a clunking noise, its more of a clicking noise, sounds a bit like mad morse code!! is there a relay in there?
No Tony, there isn’t a relay in the fuel pump. The noise might be the pump attempting to maintain fuel pressure due to the filter problem. You should fit the clip before considering anything more complicated.

Simon
Old 25th May 2018, 11:03   #8
TheSnowMan
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
No Tony, there isn’t a relay in the fuel pump. The noise might be the pump attempting to maintain fuel pressure due to the filter problem. You should fit the clip before considering anything more complicated.

Simon
Thanks for that, here's a link to the vid can you see what you think?

https://youtu.be/0zzgj4r3R9c
Old 25th May 2018, 13:12   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Never heard anything like that before. Sounds like the bearings are worn out.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 13:30   #10
TheSnowMan
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Never heard anything like that before. Sounds like the bearings are worn out.

TC
Yeah, weird isn't it. Know anyone that has a 2nd pump they wanna sell??