Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th September 2017, 15:40   #311
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBowie View Post
Hiya. Can anyone tell me how long it takes roughly for your plenum drain to collect standing water 2 inches up the pollen filter and the drain hole full of leaves that won't shift?
I had my local garage clean it out approximately six weeks ago because those leaves just would not budge... I also had to physically show them where the drain was…
I'm finding the same today.
I have managed to drain the water but not the leaves. Can the drain really get clogged up that badly in six weeks? Laura

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simple answer - YES it can.

A lot of water can run down the screen and be blown of the bonnet, much of which will end up collecting in the plenum, so the drains need to be checked frequently enough to ensure the water can drain away.

If the car is parked under trees, they need to be checked quite often. You can get an item from Jules, which helps considerably to prevent leaves and other large debris getting in there, or you can buy plastic gutter guard, which works similarly. Idea is to fix the open ends of the plenum, so they cannot get in, but yet allow water to flow through.

Rather asking an inexperienced garage to check them, check them yourself with a length of thin rod - you know for sure they are clear then.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 16:05   #312
HarryBowie
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Simple answer - YES it can.

A lot of water can run down the screen and be blown of the bonnet, much of which will end up collecting in the plenum, so the drains need to be checked frequently enough to ensure the water can drain away.

If the car is parked under trees, they need to be checked quite often. You can get an item from Jules, which helps considerably to prevent leaves and other large debris getting in there, or you can buy plastic gutter guard, which works similarly. Idea is to fix the open ends of the plenum, so they cannot get in, but yet allow water to flow through.

Rather asking an inexperienced garage to check them, check them yourself with a length of thin rod - you know for sure they are clear then.

Thanks Harry Laura

HarryBowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 18:04   #313
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE=HarryBowie;2541923]Hiya. Can anyone tell me how long it takes roughly for your plenum drain to collect standing water 2 inches up the pollen filter and the drain hole full of leaves that won't shift?
Quote:
I had my local garage clean it out approximately six weeks ago because those leaves just would not budge... I also had to physically show them where the drain was…
I'm finding the same today.
I have managed to drain the water but not the leaves. Can the drain really get clogged up that badly in six weeks? Laura
Hi Laura.
Yes it would be possible for the leaves to accumulate once again in that time scale, it depends on if you park where leave fall quite a lot, also if they cleaned out the plenum drain properly, did they cut the ends of a little about 12mm so the water can get out easier?

The easiest way to remove the leaves is with an hoover with the longest hose attached, also do the spy hole mod after so you do not have to keep removing the tray.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 20:23   #314
HarryBowie
Regular poster

Rover 75

[QUOTE=Arctic;2541970]
Quote:
Hiya. Can anyone tell me how long it takes roughly for your plenum drain to collect standing water 2 inches up the pollen filter and the drain hole full of leaves that won't shift?

Hi Laura.
Yes it would be possible for the leaves to accumulate once again in that time scale, it depends on if you park where leave fall quite a lot, also if they cleaned out the plenum drain properly, did they cut the ends of a little about 12mm so the water can get out easier?

The easiest way to remove the leaves is with an hoover with the longest hose attached, also do the spy hole mod after so you do not have to keep removing the tray.

Hi Arctic.

Going to try another garage that's been recommended and ask them to check the ends now you've mentioned it.
Will keep a closer eye on things now... Learning something new all the time

Cheers
Laura

Old 3rd November 2017, 15:17   #315
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

[QUOTE][QUOTE=HarryBowie;2542027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

Hi Arctic.

Going to try another garage that's been recommended and ask them to check the ends now you've mentioned it.
Will keep a closer eye on things now... Learning something new all the time

Cheers
Laura
HI Laura.
Hope you got sorted as the wetter weather will be coming to us soon.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 4th November 2017, 06:26   #316
HarryBowie
Regular poster

Rover 75

[QUOTE=Arctic;2559453][QUOTE]
Quote:

HI Laura.
Hope you got sorted as the wetter weather will be coming to us soon.

Hiya, yes I did. Garage took end off the tube, cleared it all out and we put something down the side to stop the leaves getting in but allowing the water to drain. They spent a good 45 mins on it and didn’t charge me anything.

Old 4th November 2017, 06:36   #317
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

[QUOTE=HarryBowie;2559673][QUOTE=Arctic;2559453]
Quote:

Hiya, yes I did. Garage took end off the tube, cleared it all out and we put something down the side to stop the leaves getting in but allowing the water to drain. They spent a good 45 mins on it and didn’t charge me anything.

Hi Lara you can get the leaves out if you get the hover out.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:55   #318
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Cleaned the plenums on my new acquisition yesterday, not being sure of it's history. Pouring water down and there was just a few drips from underneath the brake servo, so managed to scramble underneath and unblock this one whilst avoiding a torrent of water running up my arm - quite a bit of decayed leaf debris in there. The one under the ECU was ok. When I get a bit of time, and it's dry, I will take all the covers off and vacuum all the debris out.

I did check on my other car, but I don't tend to park under trees so these were all clear, although I did just have to clean the tube under the windscreen (the driver's side one they deleted in Project Drive) - at least the later tubes are less prone to blockages.

Checked the sunroof drains and i had drips from all four corners but I will check them properly.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 13:09   #319
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

I really hate this time of year. . . .

This is what greeted me this morning after a windy night.
The needles get into places you really wouldn't imagine, including behind the waist trim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pine_needles.jpg (126.1 KB, 112 views)
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 17:45   #320
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Checked my plenums today along with all my other checks I do every Sunday ie lights fluids tyres etc, few photos below you can see how the rod comes out from under the car.

Remove the outer guard Fig 1

This gives you access to the plenum under tray Fig 2

Which in turn gives you access to the spy hole rubber grommet Fig 3

Remove said rubber grommet Fig 4

Insert the rod through the tray Fig 5

Now the rod as been inserted it should go through the plenum tube, if the spy hole mod as been correctly measured, move the rod up & down to clear any debris in the tube. Fig 6

Fully insert the rod and it should appear under the car and touch the ground as here in Fig 7

At the same do the tow outer tubes which are situated in each side of the inner wings, mine have mesh covering over them which have a little hole for the rod to fit through. Fig 8

Once again same procedure insert the rod into the tube Fig 9

When inserted in the tube move in and out, up & down Fig 10/11

All your plenum tubes should now be clear of any debris and the water/rain will flow freely out through them Fig 12

At the same time you can also check that the drain hole under each of your wipers is not bunged up with debris also Fig 13/14

Do both wipers Fig 15/16

It is worth doing these quick preventive measures each week through the winter period in my opinion. Arctic

ad altiora tendo.