Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st August 2015, 09:56   #1
chris28274

Rover 75 diesel aoto

Default Rattle from front of diesel engine

I have a 2005 75 diesel which has done only 60k miles. I know the mileage is genuine. When starting from stone cold in the morning, there is a loud "timing chain" sort of noise from the front which takes a few minutes to disappear. The noise is much less, or even absent, when starting thereafter during the rest of the day. On restarting after an hour of standing, there is no noise: after a few hours a bit of noise. Any advice please?
chris28274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 10:08   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

The usual culprit is the crank pulley or water pump. Having said that your symptoms sound slightly different, in that it is usually always there at low revs whether hot or cold.

Pour some water over the pulleys and see if the sound abates for a while-if it does it is the crank pulley.

It may also be a work belt and/or a combination of other work pulleys.

Do a search on diesel crank pulley as there are some videos about as well. I have only heard of 2 occasions when the actual timing chain was at fault.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 10:35   #3
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Bit of a curve ball but worth checking the tightness of your alternator adjuster and fixings; on my old CDTi tourer one came loose and started making a weird jangling noise which took me weeks to source!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote