Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2020, 13:27   #81
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Thanks Simon. I did in fact send you a PM on the !st June thanking you for your assistance and moral support but on looking at the "sent messages" in my private box it seems to have vanished into thin air!

I think that the job was made a lot harder because the weather was so nice and as I have to work outside with the sun blazing down it makes it more tiring. Probably have to invest in a parasol or remove all the junk out of one of my garages. Fred, an engine crane seems a bit over the top as I only have limited room to store one what with all the other paraphernalia that I have.

I am pleased that I managed to rectify the problem because it would have been a shame to have scrapped the car as it is overall in very good condition, I bought it new and it has only covered about 63,000 miles.

The only problems left to deal with are a noisy air con compressor, I have a new one in stock, do I need to change the condenser if I fit the new one? The other problem is that the instrument cluster warning light for the oil pressure has stopped working. I have already changed the pressure switch so it must be the led. Anyone know how to change it. Any assistance will be appreciated. Once these have been sorted I am hoping that I won't have to spend too much time sorting any other problems.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 14:58   #82
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Air con. & oil pressure LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
... a noisy air con compressor, I have a new one in stock ...
Oh dear, the time to have done that was during your timing belt change when you had access. Have you already checked that you have the correct refrigerant charge? If not, I would do that first.
Quote:
I have already changed the pressure switch so it must be the led.
That's would be very unusual. Can you easily remove the connector from the pressure switch? If so, do that and earth it. Does the LED light now? The white/brown wire passes through the underbonnet fusebox on its way to the instrument pack. There may be a poor connection there.

Simon
Old 7th June 2020, 17:43   #83
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Thanks Simon. I have checked the refrigerant charge and it is ok. I have a very good air con man close by and will speak to him next week.

I will check the wiring for the oil pressure switch when I am next underneath the car. I agree it is unusual for the led's to fail but not unheard of.

Martin
Old 7th June 2020, 18:20   #84
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Simon. I have checked the refrigerant charge and it is ok. I have a very good air con man close by and will speak to him next week.

I will check the wiring for the oil pressure switch when I am next underneath the car. I agree it is unusual for the led's to fail but not unheard of.

Martin
Run the IPK self test Martin, it will identify if the LED is functional (very likely)

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 06:45   #85
SD1too

Default Air conditioning

Quote:
There's another possibility to consider. When the compressor is engaged it places a significant load on the ancillaries belt. If your tensioner is not in the best of health this could be what you're hearing (diesel owners are familiar with their crankshaft pulley mimicking a problem with the air conditioning).

Is your system cooling normally?

Simon
Old 9th June 2020, 17:28   #86
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

I saw my air con guy today and it is his view that the compressor is breaking up. Although my tester said it was satisfactorily charged he said it was only air and therefore it didn't need discharging. So probably next week I will be fitting the new one which I have. He also confirmed that a new condenser would be wise which he obtained for me. It is a Hella unit so it should be good quality I will also fit that next week as well. Once it has been done I will have it recharged. It is a bit of a hassle to have to deal with this after all the other work that has been done but what can you do?

Martin
Old 9th June 2020, 18:12   #87
SD1too

Quote:
... it is his view that the compressor is breaking up.
Wow!
Didn't you say that your car has only covered about 66,000 miles? I wonder what caused that?

Simon
Old 10th June 2020, 16:18   #88
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

The car has only covered about 63,000 miles. I had to replace the original because it was leaking badly. I initially bought a secondhand one for £50 put it on and it was also leaking but it has lasted two years. I bought a brand new one to replace the secondhand one because it is obvious that secondhand ones are probably a complete waste of money, that is my opinion. Much as I like the car if I have any more major trouble with it I will be getting rid of it.

So far as the oil pressure warning light is concerned I did the diagnostics today as suggested by Brian and this confirmed the LED has failed. I am going to have it repaired by a member on here.

Once these jobs have been completed I am hoping that the car can finally be enjoyed again!

Martin
Old 10th June 2020, 18:55   #89
SD1too

Quote:
... it is obvious that secondhand ones [air conditioning compressors] are probably a complete waste of money, that is my opinion.

There are so many unknowns. Is it faulty? Were the ports sealed to prevent moisture ingress? Is there any oil in it?
Quote:
Much as I like the car if I have any more major trouble with it I will be getting rid of it.
It's a bit unfair to blame the car for your non-genuine head gasket failure and your second-hand air con. compressor Martin!
Quote:
So far as the oil pressure warning light is concerned I did the diagnostics today as suggested by Brian and this confirmed the LED has failed.
Well, let's say that it suggests a fault in the IPK. I await the results of the diode test after removal.

Simon
Old 17th June 2020, 07:44   #90
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Run the IPK self test Martin, it will identify if the LED is functional (very likely)

Brian
So we have identified by substitution of your IPK in another car by Rick, that the LED is functional, here is the wiring for the oil pressure warning lamp circuit

And a picture of the rear of the IPK to identify the connectors in question......

And finally the pinout of the connector at the IPK........

So first things first, do you have continuity from the connector of the oil pressure switch at the engine, up to pin 14 of connector CO230?

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pressure lamp.jpg (115.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ipk rear.jpg (91.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ipk pinout.jpg (121.3 KB, 30 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote