Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2020, 18:42   #61
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

That's a good idea Brian. I suppose I should just fill the water jacket around the block but not around the liners, is that right? If I find there is no leakage I assume that I will need to drain off some of the coolant before I put it all together. If I need to drain the block I won't be able to access the drain plug because the car is supported under the sump at the moment because the right hand mounting has been removed, what do you suggest please?

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 18:28   #62
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
That's a good idea Brian. I suppose I should just fill the water jacket around the block but not around the liners, is that right? If I find there is no leakage I assume that I will need to drain off some of the coolant before I put it all together. If I need to drain the block I won't be able to access the drain plug because the car is supported under the sump at the moment because the right hand mounting has been removed, what do you suggest please?

Martin
No, just fill it up until it's level with the lowest part of the liners Martin, and leave it to see if the level drops.

You don't need to drain the block, if it stays level after the test, just siphon the water out with some thin tube, I use a length of washer jet hose, but any thin tube will do.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 14:56   #63
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Absolute disaster! I wasn't happy with the belt tension so decided to remove the belt and put it back on. The special tools went on after a bit of hassle (air con pipes again) and was putting the belt on when the tool on the rear head camshafts fell off and when I tried to put it back on the end of the exhaust cam broke off!!!!. I have seen this happen before in previous threads and was hoping that I would not experience this first hand. Obviously I do not wish to incur the expense and considerable time fitting a new camshaft so is it possible to deal the rear cams without the special tool fitted. The special tool is still fitted to the front head camshafts and I have already loosened both the sprocket bolts. I do have some markings on the sprockets and covers before I took the old belts off. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Martin
Old 18th May 2020, 15:13   #64
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Cool Inbox full

Martin, please clear your inbox. I would like to send you a PM.

Thanks.

Simon
Old 18th May 2020, 17:33   #65
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Hli Simon, Thanks for your message I have tried to delete the messages without success. I have sent a message to the administrator.

Martin
Old 19th May 2020, 08:07   #66
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Simon, the message box has now been cleared.

Martin
Old 19th May 2020, 16:53   #67
SD1too

Thanks Martin, PM successfully sent.

Simon
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:03   #68
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Fitted the new camshaft then fitted the tools to the front and then the new timing belt, made sure it was nice and taut. Removed the tools fitted the secondary belts to the rear head as they had to be removed to fit the new camshaft, sprockets not quite in line as before.

Turned the engine over twice at the crankshaft bolt then fitted the front tools . Unfortunately only one would go on the other was very slightly out. Does this mean I am one tooth out with the belt which would be very strange as all my marks on the sprockets line up.

I really do not want to complete the rebuild until I am sure the timing is 100%. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Martin
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:38   #69
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
... only one would go on the other was very slightly out. Does this mean I am one tooth out with the belt ...
I doubt it Martin. One tooth is an enormous error and a difficult mistake to make.

Did you rotate and hold both front sprockets fully clockwise (as viewed from the front of the engine) as you engaged the new toothed belt with them?
MG Rover says it's permissible to turn the sprockets a minimum amount anti-clockwise in order to fit the drive belt.
All this is done, of course, with the front tools fitted and the camshaft sprocket bolts hand tight only.

Simon
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:01   #70
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Thanks Simon. Yes it was all done in accordance with the book. I agree that one tooth out would be difficult to achieve if it is done correctly but why won't the tools fit?

Martin