Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th September 2017, 12:58   #1
P3AHE
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 Turbo & MG TF

Default Turbo Failure?

How do I know if my Turbo has blown? What are the symptons & what parts are required for repairing? Sorry for all the questions but Ive never had problems with a Turbo before. My ZT 1.8T started blowing white smoke this morning . There is no coolant loss or mayo.
P3AHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 14:41   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Sudden smoke from the exhaust is a typical sign. But it's usually bluey-grey from oil getting into the hot pipe. Turbochargers fail through lack of lubrication and/or cooling. Have you any reason to believe the oil or coolant supply is poor?
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 15:56   #3
P3AHE
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 Turbo & MG TF

No obvious reason for poor lubrication. No engine oil leaks , although I have only just purchased oil & filter this week to do an oil change. Twelve months since last oil change , approx. 8000 miles. Checked coolant level this morning before leaving home and again after noticing the smoke, allowing everything to cool down first.

Last edited by P3AHE; 17th September 2017 at 09:00.. Reason: xxx
Old 16th September 2017, 18:45   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Are you sure the exhaust is producing white smoke as distinct from a lot of steam?
Smoke persists in the air, while steam evaporates and disappears very quickly this time of year. A coolant leak into the combustion chambers produces a white (steamy) exhaust, particularly on cold startup. Typically, inlet manifold gasket failure does it.

TC
Old 16th September 2017, 19:23   #5
P3AHE
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 Turbo & MG TF

Can smell the oil in smoke and it's not steam. Travelled for 15 miles and it was fairly consistant but at times large plumes of white smoke. Very embarrassing when stuck in traffic in a town centre. Did stop twice to allow a cooling down period & topped up oil. I'm convinced it's the Turbo because there has been no coolant loss.
Old 16th September 2017, 21:48   #6
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

There's a thread about fitting a cartridge very recently as mines just gone, new turbos are bleeding expensive. If you're confident the cartridge seems a decent option and the mellett ones seem well thought of. I'm useless mechanically so I've gone for a recon unit.
Initial symptom was some white smoke, seeming to improve when warmed up so I thought it might be the inlet manifold gasket but rapidly deteriorated and was oil residue in the exhaust.
Grumble and Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 23:58   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Remove the wide bore hose on the turbo intake. That exposes the compressor turbine and the spindle everything depends on. See if there's any slop in the spindle. You can waggle the end with your fingers. The slightest slop means the bearings have failed. Easy to replace the CHRA for £100-£150 or so. Mellett is a good brand but the cheaper units from China are just as good, but no warranty. A reconditioned turbocharger complete will set you back £180-£250. A new Garrett from Rimmer is double that.

TC
Old 18th September 2017, 21:27   #8
moorhouse.family
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

I'd check the pipes from the turbo intercooler first before I assume it's a thousand pound turbo that rarely fail.
moorhouse.family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 07:05   #9
P3AHE
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 Turbo & MG TF

Is there a How To for access to Turbo and taking off to examine , repair or replace? Have been offered a Recon Turbo and this may be the quickest method of getting car back on road. 2 year warranty with recon unit. Not able to carry out repairs myself , so possible labour savings on fitting a new CHRA.
Can't carry out repairs myself because of access. It would need to be done on side of a very busy side street plus I live on a hill! No garages locally interested in carrying out this sort of work. In fact found nobody interested in changing the clutches on both my TF or ZT.
Old 19th September 2017, 07:08   #10
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

This was mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frEh2UsTJko
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote