Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2007, 18:25   #21
Spôôk
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Conn. SE

Hmmm.
Just out of interest - When did the UK get detached from Europe??
Old 19th August 2007, 19:01   #22
Z135T
Avid contributor

MG ZT 135+

when we drive abroad, I drive onto ferry and wife does the rest as I'm on my holidays, simple really keep an eye open for the frogs (off their heads no such thing as health and safety),Eyeties mad and good with the horn, also don't stop on Toll Roads (as good possibility off getting robbed) , the smaller roads are best I found,finally don't mix with the Brits seem to be a right pane in the rear when abroad,stick with the foreigners and all is hunk dory.
Z135T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 19:19   #23
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

As a member who has been to Rome and back twice in 6 weeks, I think there are a few themes I picked up. I drove in France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.

1. Driving standards - the Italians are complete and utter idiots although they generally seem to manage to avoid you. I think this is because their driving test is a joke and anyway can be avoided by money in brown-paper envelopes, (yes really !!). The scooters and motorcyclists are complete dickheads; I did wonder at the time how there are any still left alive ! Germans drive very fast on autobahns but generally are OK. France I found the most relaxing, funnily enough, although this does not apply to Paris, where, (just like all capital cities), they are all loonies.

White Van Man is the same in every country, i.e a completely brainless idiot

2. Oddities - Don't forget the Swiss want 40 francs off you for using their motorways in the form of a Vignette to stick on your windscreen. You can easily get this on the internet. Heavy fine if caught.

3. Driving on the right - I did not find this any problem except when joining fast-moving traffic on a main road at an acute angle; its useful to have somebody next to you to look out to the left to see when a gap appears.

4. Parking - the Continent seems far less anal than our Petty Hitlers. I usually had no problems anywhere. The UK is a nightmare compared to Europe.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 19:22   #24
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spôôk View Post
Hmmm.
Excuse me!! You mean old chap when did Europe become detached from the UK?

(presumably we're talking geographically?)
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 19:27   #25
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Thank you so much to every one for tips and advice -

I am quite excited at the moment

We will be visiting either Wurzburg or Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber - The plan of action is to cut across UK to Folkestone over to Calais and then through to Belgium, Holland and into Germany...................
Old 19th August 2007, 19:32   #26
carlpenn
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spôôk View Post
Hmmm.

lol............. 260 Million Years ago??..........
Old 19th August 2007, 19:42   #27
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Hi Carl

I recently enjoyed a week in picardy region of france (1hr n/e of paris) - my recommended essential is tom tom sat nav which took all the stress out of the journey and touring - allowed us to relax - be adventerous by visiting lots of scenic recommended off the beaten track villages.

Tho my s nav details main roads only down to equiv A / B roads i was really impressed with the detail - it was fine and detailed enough to get us everywhere safely and stress free.

- I def will upgrade the maps to show european street level mapping next time I eurotunnel over there - as you get taken to car parks - petrol (diesel) stns etc etc.

Worth every penny for peace of mind - allows you to concentrate on enjoying the driving.

Hope you have a safe journey

Matt-brighton
Old 20th August 2007, 06:56   #28
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
Thank you so much to every one for tips and advice -

I am quite excited at the moment

We will be visiting either Wurzburg or Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber - The plan of action is to cut across UK to Folkestone over to Calais and then through to Belgium, Holland and into Germany...................
Go to RODT if you can - great place!
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 07:40   #29
carlpenn
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Go to RODT if you can - great place!

I must say that RODT is my Favourite of the Two at present. It is only a short drive between the two so we may go to both
Old 20th August 2007, 07:56   #30
carlpenn
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt brighton View Post
Hi Carl

I recently enjoyed a week in picardy region of france (1hr n/e of paris) - my recommended essential is tom tom sat nav which took all the stress out of the journey and touring - allowed us to relax - be adventerous by visiting lots of scenic recommended off the beaten track villages.

Tho my s nav details main roads only down to equiv A / B roads i was really impressed with the detail - it was fine and detailed enough to get us everywhere safely and stress free.

- I def will upgrade the maps to show european street level mapping next time I eurotunnel over there - as you get taken to car parks - petrol (diesel) stns etc etc.

Worth every penny for peace of mind - allows you to concentrate on enjoying the driving.

Hope you have a safe journey

Matt-brighton
I have looked at Sat Nav and - probably a Laughable long shot - But already owning a Conn Model I wondered how easy it is to Fit the Rover Sat Nav and if so, would it be sufficient? I really would prefer to have original Rover Equipment, I know that Sat Nav is portable etc........But if I am going to spend Money on Sat Nav, May as well buy what I originally Planned (If cost effective and feasible)