Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2023, 16:28   #1
Colin.TinkerR75

Rover 75

Default Exhaust issues!

HI. About 10 years ago the flexible part on the downpipe failed on my 2 litre diesel estate. I bought a replacement downpipe with flexi joint and catalytic converter. This has now just started blowing. Thankfully the noise isn't too bad at the moment if I accelerate slowly.
I still have my original downpipe and catalytic converter which I kept after discovering the flexi part can be bought and welded onto the exhaust. I also have an exhaust from a scrap yard that has a silencer installed immediately after the catalytic converter which my car has never had.
My questions are... Should I repair my original exhaust or use the one from the scrap yard? I like the idea of a quiet car and having an exhaust with two silencers sounds appealing. Would the two silencer version be restrictive?
Colin.TinkerR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 16:43   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

If it only had one silencer, why do you want two on? This would restrict the gas flow and your mpg would only go one way........down. If the flexi is ok on the one still fitted, why not get that put on the one that is broken. Simples.
Old 11th February 2023, 18:57   #3
Colin.TinkerR75

Rover 75

My thought was that the silencer next to the catalytic converter would have minimal restriction being so close to the engine. Rover must have deemed it a good idea at some stage to fit one there. Since my Rover is a 2004 reg it might have been part of Rovers cost cutting exercise. Remove a silencer and save a few pennies. Just guessing!
Old 11th February 2023, 19:05   #4
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin.TinkerR75 View Post
My thought was that the silencer next to the catalytic converter would have minimal restriction being so close to the engine. Rover must have deemed it a good idea at some stage to fit one there. Since my Rover is a 2004 reg it might have been part of Rovers cost cutting exercise. Remove a silencer and save a few pennies. Just guessing!
The distance of the silencer from the engine does not affect the restriction effect.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 19:05   #5
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I suppose that if the scrapyard exhaust can just be bolted on, it’s an easier fix. You could try it and see what difference it makes.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 19:34   #6
Colin.TinkerR75

Rover 75

It would be nice to fit the scrap yard exhaust on and see how it performs against the one silencer version. There's currently a snag... the flexi joint is bust on that one too.
I'll need to buy two flexi joints. Fix both exhausts and then do a test comparison.

Any one aware of the two silencer exhaust system? Maybe it was originally installed on the lesser powered pre facelift versions.
Old 12th February 2023, 06:39   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Colin, if you have that original cat, and especially if you don't use it, put it in for it's scrap value, which will give you cash to make decisions.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2023, 08:41   #8
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Colin, are you sure the box right behind the Cat is a silencer? I have one on mine, too, but mine is a German aftermarket lifetime DPF. It has boosted my car's rating from Euro3 to Euro4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPF ROVER kniha 1024.jpg (60.0 KB, 14 views)

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2023, 12:27   #9
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Colin, are you sure the box right behind the Cat is a silencer? I have one on mine, too, but mine is a German aftermarket lifetime DPF. It has boosted my car's rating from Euro3 to Euro4.

Interesting, seeing as how 75's have no re-gen function, what happens when the DPF gets blocked ?

Would the driver have to notice a lowering of performance being that 75's don't have a DPF pressure differential sensor ?

When it does get blocked, or partially, enough to affect performance, what then ? does it need to be replaced or taken to one of the companies that now provide Cat and DPF cleaning ?
Old 12th February 2023, 12:33   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Interesting, seeing as how 75's have no re-gen function, what happens when the DPF gets blocked ?

Would the driver have to notice a lowering of performance being that 75's don't have a DPF pressure differential sensor ?

When it does get blocked, or partially, enough to affect performance, what then ? does it need to be replaced or taken to one of the companies that now provide Cat and DPF cleaning ?
Duc750, I don't know. The original owner in Germany had it installed to the tune of 1500 Euros or something. The car came with a big manual about it. It apparently doesn't get blocked and doesn't regenerate. Doesn't make sense to me, either, but it has always run great and I haven't touched it. On the car registration and inspection papers it is marked Euro4.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote