Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2016, 15:29   #241
Nick C

Rover 75 saloon

Only got the new(er) 75 in December and after a deluge of rain yesterday followed by a surprising amount of condensation on the windscreen I thought I'd check the plenum under the ECU today. I'm glad I did - after moving the ECU I could see there was a couple of inches of water easily. Used a garden cane to clear it and man the water just flowed out. I'm going to do the spyhole mod over the next week or so, a no brainer.

Last edited by Nick C; 10th April 2016 at 15:33..
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 16:48   #242
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C View Post
I'm going to do the spyhole mod over the next week or so, a no brainer.
Well found - you can see the base of the plenum by shining a bright torch through the grille above the windscreen wiper motor.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 14:25   #243
ps256

MG ZT-T

HELP! Just tried to start car & it wouldn't go. Called AA & found to comms with ecu when he tried to check for problems. Then I remembered the plenum drains & mine was blocked. Cleared blockage but still no luck. I have had the drain blocked before and it didn't cause this problem. I had water under the carpet, passenger side. How can I find out if water has got to ecu & can I do something to repair it or does it needs replacing.😥

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
ps256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 07:04   #244
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps256 View Post
HELP! Just tried to start car & it wouldn't go. Called AA & found to comms with ecu when he tried to check for problems. Then I remembered the plenum drains & mine was blocked. Cleared blockage but still no luck. I have had the drain blocked before and it didn't cause this problem. I had water under the carpet, passenger side. How can I find out if water has got to ecu & can I do something to repair it or does it needs replacing.😥

Clearing the drain is one of those 'stitch in time' situations. If water has been allowed to collect, then almost certainly your ECU will have been drowned and it is too late.

Best to disconnect the battery, get the ECU out, unplug it, open it up and see if you can dry it out.

The worst situation for the ECU, is water getting in and there being no way for it to get back out.

Failing that - talk to MarinaBrian and discus your sending it to him for repair.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 08:12   #245
ps256

MG ZT-T

Just removed the ecu and it is bone dry. No sign of water damage

Old 17th April 2016, 08:39   #246
ps256

MG ZT-T

The engine is turning over but not firing. I had the problem with the tank filter and have read that this can happen again.

Old 17th April 2016, 10:15   #247
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps256 View Post
The engine is turning over but not firing. I had the problem with the tank filter and have read that this can happen again

Hi Paul.
You may find it better if you start a new post on the general forum stating your problem, this will give you more chance of getting a firm reply as this thread is a sticky and most people will only read it if they have the problem of flooded plenums cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 17:21   #248
android6600

rover 75 tourer

Default Please check your plenum drain !

I havn't posted in awhile as everything with my 75 has been good.
BUT...i just had my dinner and was sat in the sunshine thinking,what could i do that would only take 5 minutes?
Give the plenum drain a quick check.
I have the plenum spyhole mod,but the i was feeling adventurous,so i removed the panel and had a good look.
Blimey o'reilly.........plenum filled with debris,and 2-3 inches of water drowning the filter.
I've no idea how much water is needed to kill the ECU,but mine must have been nearly fatal!
I'd already bought a plumbers sink drain rodding tool,so it was a simple job to clear the plenum.
At least 1.5 to 2 pints of water was released,so much that the neighbours kids were splashing around in it!
I would not have known about this problem if i hadn't joined this club and seen this sticky.
This check has saved another 75 owner from an unimaginable amount of hassle,so my thanks and gratitude go out to all involved,especially Arctic.
android6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 23:39   #249
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Stop the debris going into the drains .......

Plenum Shield
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=68328

Or whole shop here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=74

Regards
Jules

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 10:09   #250
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android6600 View Post
I've no idea how much water is needed to kill the ECU,but mine must have been nearly fatal!
I'd already bought a plumbers sink drain rodding tool,so it was a simple job to clear the plenum.
At least 1.5 to 2 pints of water was released,so much that the neighbours kids were splashing around in it!
How much water any any one time, is not an indication of how much water has collected in there - in time it will leak away/evaporate/ spill out on corners. Any water at all collected in there is a BAD sign!. Without opening up the ECU, you really cannot be sure if any has got in there and damage due to moisture ingress can take a long time.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote