Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th July 2017, 19:44   #1
Atcchus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Auto Tourer

Default Celebration 450CT

I'm thinking of buying a caravan. Seen one local to me and going to view tomorrow. I never had a caravan before . What are the things i have to look for ? Is celebration 450 any good ?

And is it good to have a damp meter ? If so where to check for damps ?

Last edited by Atcchus; 8th July 2017 at 20:02..
Atcchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 20:08   #2
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I don't know that model, but the big issue is damp. You can get cheap damp detectors online and I think Maplins and places, but failing that you can at least do a visual check. Look behind upholstery, in all corners, in all cupboards, and especially under windows, and if there is an aerial where that joins the caravan. Also around any roof lights/vents.

Make sure you walk on all areas of the floor, as floors can become delaminated and you can feel them flex when you stand on them. Ask to see any appliances working if possible, and check that the gas hose has a valid date on it.

Check windows for cracks and delamination where sometimes the two halves start to seperate and can cause condensation. Look at outside panels for accident damage as you would a car, and that all rails appear sealed properly. Tyres as you would a car, including spare if it has one. CRiS documents aren't always present, but if not and you want one, there's a charge! That's all i can think of, but I bet there's a lot more I've forgotten, it's been awhile!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 20:25   #3
Atcchus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Auto Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I don't know that model, but the big issue is damp. You can get cheap damp detectors online and I think Maplins and places, but failing that you can at least do a visual check. Look behind upholstery, in all corners, in all cupboards, and especially under windows, and if there is an aerial where that joins the caravan. Also around any roof lights/vents.

Make sure you walk on all areas of the floor, as floors can become delaminated and you can feel them flex when you stand on them. Ask to see any appliances working if possible, and check that the gas hose has a valid date on it.

Check windows for cracks and delamination where sometimes the two halves start to seperate and can cause condensation. Look at outside panels for accident damage as you would a car, and that all rails appear sealed properly. Tyres as you would a car, including spare if it has one. CRiS documents aren't always present, but if not and you want one, there's a charge! That's all i can think of, but I bet there's a lot more I've forgotten, it's been awhile!
Thank you for the information

Last edited by Atcchus; 9th July 2017 at 08:19..
Old 8th July 2017, 21:34   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

New caravans can suffer from damp.
Consider how much you are paying. Pushing on the walls from the inside, if they feel sponge they could well be damp.

a Google search indicates this is a "old" van and so some damp should be expected.
check everything electrical works. The fridge if it has one may be 3 way, 12v, 240v and gas, again check it works on all 3
Tyres are recommended to by change at 5 years of age.

If the person is giving up caravanning you may get a better deal, awning, aqua rolls and cooking/eating things thrown in but if not consider the cost of buying these.

you will probably need towing mirrors, milenco aero are pretty good and I would recommend a stabilizer to help prevent snaking.

check the damper on the tow hitch if you can push it towards the caravan it probably needs replacing. With the legs up does the caravan sit square and does the door shut properly.

We started with a cheap £500 damp caravan, loved it and progressed from there.

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 21:56   #5
Atcchus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Auto Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
New caravans can suffer from damp.
Consider how much you are paying. Pushing on the walls from the inside, if they feel sponge they could well be damp.

a Google search indicates this is a "old" van and so some damp should be expected.
check everything electrical works. The fridge if it has one may be 3 way, 12v, 240v and gas, again check it works on all 3
Tyres are recommended to by change at 5 years of age.

If the person is giving up caravanning you may get a better deal, awning, aqua rolls and cooking/eating things thrown in but if not consider the cost of buying these.

you will probably need towing mirrors, milenco aero are pretty good and I would recommend a stabilizer to help prevent snaking.

check the damper on the tow hitch if you can push it towards the caravan it probably needs replacing. With the legs up does the caravan sit square and does the door shut properly.

We started with a cheap £500 damp caravan, loved it and progressed from there.

good luck

macafee2

Cheers matey. Will cheak those stuff

This is the add I seen the caravan

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...utm_source=sms
Old 9th July 2017, 10:33   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

looks good inside, make sure the blinds if fitted go up and down freely

I am guessing that I can tell you something good about your caravan, not that I have anything bad to say. The water pump is activated my mirco switches at the taps. more modern caravans seem to use a pressure switch. turn tap off, pump runs, back pressure builds up and off goes pump at least that's my understanding.

The problem with this is what the inset naughty word happens when you run out of water in the water barrel? pumps runs and runs and runs. Damn silly idea in my opinion.

Guessing hot water is only gas heated, not electric. make sure blinds go up and down ok.

I don't want to put you off but I think when you go to the loo you will be stepping onto the shower tray so no outdoor shoes and dry the shower tray before going to the loo or you het wet feet

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 13:50   #7
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

You never know with tourers - we had a 17 year old Bailey Senator with not one bit of damp - had it serviced and tested every year. my mum was disabled, so we changed it for a much newer Avondale Eagle with a bedroom for her, an the dang thing was riddled all the time. It cost a fortune to keep fixing. We gave it up, but now that mum has gone in a home I am looking for a small one again myself for just me and the dogs! Good luck with yours!
Old 9th July 2017, 13:51   #8
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcchus View Post
Cheers matey. Will cheak those stuff

This is the add I seen the caravan

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...utm_source=sms
Adverts gone now did you purchase it?
Old 9th July 2017, 15:46   #9
Atcchus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Auto Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Adverts gone now did you purchase it?
I didn't buy it . Went to look at it . Looked okay but the floor looked spongy.
Old 9th July 2017, 17:46   #10
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I just checked a folding one out. It would have been spot on for what I want, but it had seen better days for what he was asking.