Notices

Old 11th April 2015, 07:27   #21
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
I don't think you'll find better price than that...
Bill

I thought you would have bought some of this, just look at the cost as well, half way down the page

http://www.showerks.com/main/?p=229

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 08:13   #22
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Bill

I thought you would have bought some of this, just look at the cost as well, half way down the page

http://www.showerks.com/main/?p=229

Stu

" "....!
Old 11th April 2015, 08:54   #23
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Apex View Post

As an aside I remember you saying you were lucky because your car was in very good condition when you bought it, have you ever machined it? Or was it all by hand?
Hi there.

To answer your question, no, it's never been machined in my ownership, (going on 5 years now) and to be honest I can't see any evidence that it has.

Can I be honest, machining should only be done as a last resort when all other means has failed and should only be carried out by a professional.

Most of the time all I've ever done is used a quick wax or polish. If there has been blemished appear, which does happen, I've generally used Meguiars Cleaner Wax, which I have found only available online. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Car.../dp/B0002JMO76 ).

The main thing I have found is using the correct shampoos and ALWAYS in the shade! And the correct amount. I wash my car quite often and a normal sized bottle of shampoo lasts me maybe nearly a year! Honest. And use a good Mit, preferably genuine sheepskin. You can usually tell it's genuine by the fact that the sheep's skin/leather is on the inside of the Mit. I use this one: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ca...9571&0&cc5_134

Look, I'm not trying to boast or say I know best, all I'm saying is what I only do myself and what I've learnt through trial and error, although I did have a good footing by working in the Automotive Refinish Industry for many years and was an adviser to Willowvale Mazda Motor Industries & Quest Motor Manufacturing in Zimbabwe.

But to get back to your original question. Yes, I was lucky I think in getting a good car to start with.

So please people, I'm not trying to tell people what to do or which is the way YOU must do things, I'm just saying what I know and do, and that's it.

But you know how fate has repaid me - when I first came back to this country nearly 16 years ago now I got into the Paint Business at Brown Brothers as the Paint Dept Manager.

I lasted all of about 8 months. And you know why, because I knew more about paint than the MD did and he didn't like it.... When he found out I was giving customers the 'correct' information and it was in direct contradiction of what they had been told for years, (by him) I became the Paint Dept Mgr who was forbidden to talk to customers about Paint...lol. I left soon thereafter, never to return to the paint industry again!

I suppose the only consolation is that he got fired a few months later and the branch closed...lol.

Sorry to have bored you...
Old 11th April 2015, 09:25   #24
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Thanks for the info yeah all great advice I just finished cleaning mine but rain has stopped anything further than the decontamination stage

You going to keep us updated on its long term performance?
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 17:04   #25
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

What a difference - I've just ordered myself some. Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, how do you keep your roof rails so black? Mine are faded and looking tired and I've been contemplating lots of methods to get them back to a permanent black.
Old 12th April 2015, 17:39   #26
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR75 View Post
What a difference - I've just ordered myself some. Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, how do you keep your roof rails so black? Mine are faded and looking tired and I've been contemplating lots of methods to get them back to a permanent black.
Thank you...

I've always polished them with the rest of the Roof.... Same goes for the ''B' Pillar.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:26   #27
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile

Thanks to Mango Man for those great shots of his copperleaf car, I liked them so much I have bought the polish. In the photos you show that you used circular motions to apply the polish but someone else says use straight lines to eliminate swirl marks, is circular okay?. I have the same colour car and would love to get it up that high standard. John.
lathbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 11:13   #28
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
Thanks to Mango Man for those great shots of his copperleaf car, I liked them so much I have bought the polish. In the photos you show that you used circular motions to apply the polish but someone else says use straight lines to eliminate swirl marks, is circular okay?. I have the same colour car and would love to get it up that high standard. John.
The product in this is a wax, not a polish that's why the application process differs. Polish can be applied in lines and usually is but can be applied circular as a polishing machine would do. Wax is usually applied in small overlapping circles
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 12:15   #29
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Jordan has answered the question for me....

But thank you for the complimentary remarks concerning my car - "Thank You"...