Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2018, 09:27   #31
hellofadriver75

Rover75 saloon

Thanks to everyone for advice re my problem deciding re timing belts...will consider replacing soon (when I ve saved up!!) as I do want to keep the car. Have done the pads and connecting sensor, and getting quote on the bodywork slight dent with scratch that appeared on it after parking at a car boot sale. hellofadriver75
hellofadriver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 22:14   #32
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default Mtbf

I am really surprised that no-one debating the issue has bothered to mention MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) and how that applies to timing belts.

Shame on you

TL;DR - It's not just guesswork - while many will last longer than the 6 year period the chance of breakage rises steeply (as judged by the engine designers) after this time.

So basically what this means is that the replacement by time and mileage are both set depending on the predicted mean average between failures - i.e. if the mean average mileage between failures is say 100k miles we could make it that - but that would mean that half the cars on average would fail before being replaced wouldn't it? So where's a point where say (and I don't know the exact figure used which probably varies between manufacturers a little) no more than 15% of failures occur? 60k miles - ok we'll set the replacement mileage at that.

Now for time when that mileage isn't reached? 10 years on half average half will fail? but very few within 6 years? and a significant number after 7? then set the time period at 6 years.

Now when a car is first built it's all educated guessing and design driving these figures but as the cars age and some real world numbers are available these figures can be refined - and it's often happened that belt mileage periods have been quite significantly reduced on some engines in the past. As for time period when we are talking about the kv6 well rover didn't make this engine for long enough to get any real significant numbers for low mileage cars over 6 years old did they? So without those numbers being available what are you going to trust? If it were me (it's not, I have a diesel and an 1800t) then I'd trust that the designers weren't pessimistic, after all it's always partly a selling point to say that major items don't need replacement as often as the competitor....

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 08:28   #33
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thank you for thinking about this issue Mr. Avulon and using some very appropriate words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
... the replacement by time and mileage are both set depending on the predicted mean average between failures ...
You're possibly right. It's easy to test timing belts to destruction on mileage but as for the time period alone ...
Quote:
... Rover didn't make this engine for long enough to get any real significant numbers for low mileage cars over 6 years old did they? So without those numbers being available what are you going to trust?
Exactly! The answer is that you trust the mileage, as I have argued and proven with my own vehicle.
Quote:
Now when a car is first built it's all educated guessing and design driving these figures but as the cars age and some real world numbers are available these figures can be refined ..
A good example of this is the initial requirement to change all the airbag components after ten years; clearly a "cover our backs" policy with no scientific basis whatsoever. If this can be true for airbags, it can also be true for timing belts.

Simon
Old 18th March 2018, 09:10   #34
hellofadriver75

Rover75 saloon

Many thanks, sarah (newton abbot garage advice)
hellofadriver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 09:13   #35
Ratty
I really should get out more.......

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

Exeter Road Garage are in Newton Abbot
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 09:18   #36
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

A good example of this is the initial requirement to change all the airbag components after ten years; clearly a "cover our backs" policy with no scientific basis whatsoever. If this can be true for airbags, it can also be true for timing belts.

Simon

And where it relates to serviceable components (you can't get new air-bags for our cars) I'd defer to the manufacturers schedule, at least it has a chance of being based on some facts: for all we know the airbag manufacturer said 'guaranteed 10 years' (or a manufacturer of one of the airbag components), so what should Rover do when setting a replacement schedule?. I don't think that comparing timing belts to airbags is a particularly significant argument. Rover designed the kv6 themselves - which gave them the opportunity of specifying the belts themselves.

Each owner should assess the risk/cost/benefit and make the decision for themselves. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone that exceeding the age limit on low mileage belts will be safe. I have taken the risk myself with a v6 2.0 : but as I only paid £100 for it and sold it 3 months later for a similar price to someone that was made aware that the belts were due for a change I wouldn't hold this as support for routinely exceeding the belt age. I was lucky that was all. As I already showed - most belts will last longer than 6 years - by design however the risk of breakage will increase significantly (according to Rover) past that age. I wouldn't take that risk on a nice example or one that I planned to keep.

It would be an interesting exercise to collate the age and mileage of failed timing belts that are below the mileage limit.
e.g.
  1. Age in years
  2. mileage at time of failure
  3. location (i.e. where the car has spent most of it's life - climate might have some bearing on belt age).
Let's see how many fail before 6 years and how many after. A thousand or so accurate reports with good global distribution should suffice.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 18th March 2018, 09:24   #37
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Avulon it's interesting post though, failure of the belt can be due to other components failing, water pump, tensioner, idlers..so unless these are factored in the belt alone figures don't help much.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 10:57   #38
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Avulon it's interesting post though, failure of the belt can be due to other components failing, water pump, tensioner, idlers..so unless these are factored in the belt alone figures don't help much.
but would you change the tensioner or water pump without changing the belt and vice versa?

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 18th March 2018, 11:07   #39
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, yes I would fit a kit though could any of those parts fail before the belt do you think?
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 11:24   #40
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi, yes I would fit a kit though could any of those parts fail before the belt do you think?
Sure, they could - but the result is the same: a broken belt. Perhaps we should say 'belts, water pump & tensioner' and treat them as a singular item. If you wouldn't change any one of those in isolation then what's the point of specifically blaming one of them? e.g. the tensioner fails, snaps the belt and engine is trashed at 45k miles and 8 years. Should the owner have changed the belts earlier? Yes, because they would have changed the tensioner at the same time...

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do: