Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th September 2012, 23:46   #91
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienp View Post
Arctic - i gave that method a try, but i got fed up because every time i tried to shape the new metal strip, it would bend out of shape somewhere along the line. And when i rebent it back to the shape i wanted, it would snap due to metal fatigue. Grrrrr
To vitesse Chris - How did you strap the the clip/sensor down using a tie wrap? It's something i've done, but i made a small braket to fit over the wishbone first, then i cut a slit into the braket to allow the tiewrap to fit through, then i pulled it tight to the wishbone.
There must be different thickness of PC metal backs then as i have modifed three now and all be ok i/you can even tap them with an hammer to mould them into the curves Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 08:48   #92
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Just buy new bmw parts.
If yours are like mine then the original ball joints have had it. Probably do both sides for £30
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 09:02   #93
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
There must be different thickness of PC metal backs then as i have modifed three now and all be ok i/you can even tap them with an hammer to mould them into the curves Arctic.
Small point, but I would be very wary of drilling the wishbone to fix the bracket, the hole will set up stress points in the casting. Thge arm is very carefully shaped to avoid any stress points.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 11:17   #94
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Small point, but I would be very wary of drilling the wishbone to fix the bracket, the hole will set up stress points in the casting. Thge arm is very carefully shaped to avoid any stress points.

Hi Harry good point but i would have thought a 2.5mm drilled to the depth of 5mm would not stress the wish bone as the screw fill the hole or it could be pop rivetted or maybe clamped and stuck down with metal glue the wishbone alreadfy as two big holes drilled into it for the ball joints, but i take your point always air on safety

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12833.jpg (134.2 KB, 69 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Dragrad; 21st September 2014 at 22:40.. Reason: Thumbnail enlarged
Old 6th September 2012, 11:19   #95
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
Just buy new bmw parts.
If yours are like mine then the original ball joints have had it. Probably do both sides for £30
Hi John
Did the part come with a new clip for fixing to the wishbone arm please Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 25th October 2012, 23:03   #96
Ackel

MG ZT 190

On my ZT the arm connected to the sensor has broken, and I might need a complete new sensor unit. I have read that some MINI model uses the same unit, and I found this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HEAD...item257472b08e

Does anyone know whether this MINI part would fit and work on my ZT? Looks quite similar and it has the same number printed - 1 093 697.

/Ackel
Ackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 16:40   #97
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackel View Post
On my ZT the arm connected to the sensor has broken, and I might need a complete new sensor unit. I have read that some MINI model uses the same unit, and I found this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HEAD...item257472b08e

Does anyone know whether this MINI part would fit and work on my ZT? Looks quite similar and it has the same number printed - 1 093 697.

/Ackel

cant comment on the sensor,EDIT:- yES i CAN, THAT PART is THE RIGHT PART AS PHOTOGRAPHED ON THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD re EDIT, ACTUALLY READ YOUR POST PROPERLY :P DIDN'T REALISE THIS WAS A PATTERN PART WHEN i FIRST LOOKED, SORRY... but you know the arm is available very reasonably don't you

Last edited by NOCTURNAL; 26th October 2012 at 16:51.. Reason: looked at first post :)
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 17:46   #98
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

I had my MOT today and it failed on the nearside headlight too low. MOT tester didnt know about the self leveller and tried to manually adjust?? Anyway I have ordered a new arm but when I went out this evening to look it turns out that the arm was missing and so was part of the first arm attached to the sensor. The bracket on the wishbone was missing too. The MOT last year had no probs so I expect when I had the wishbones changed the garage forgot to swap the brackets and just left it hanging to thus get snapped off.

Question is until I can fabricate a bracket and get the parts I have ordered can I tape the remaining part of the arm in an adequate position to hold it to get it through its MOT?
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 18:52   #99
Ackel

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
but you know the arm is available very reasonably don't you

I know that the arm that connects to the suspension arm is available as a BMW part but on my ZT it is the other arm, the one that connects to the sensor unit, that is broken, and I guess that it is an integral part of the sensor.

/Ackel
Ackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 19:03   #100
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcul1 View Post
I had my MOT today and it failed on the nearside headlight too low. MOT tester didnt know about the self leveller and tried to manually adjust?? Anyway I have ordered a new arm but when I went out this evening to look it turns out that the arm was missing and so was part of the first arm attached to the sensor. The bracket on the wishbone was missing too. The MOT last year had no probs so I expect when I had the wishbones changed the garage forgot to swap the brackets and just left it hanging to thus get snapped off.

Question is until I can fabricate a bracket and get the parts I have ordered can I tape the remaining part of the arm in an adequate position to hold it to get it through its MOT?
Well you have a claim against the garage as they didn't do the work to a minimum acceptable standard did they. Leaving off important bits is no darned good at all.