Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2009, 02:15   #1
Xoan

Rover 75 CDT 2000

Default R75 CDT ride height

Which is the ride height of the R75 CDT?
I think my rear suspension is too low.
Thanks.
Xoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:18   #2
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

How high are your wheelarches from the floor, hope it is not like a couple of inches lower than it should be

Last edited by Devilish; 23rd July 2009 at 10:17..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:19   #3
Xoan

Rover 75 CDT 2000

Front: 700mm
Rear left: 687mm
Rear right: 689mm
From floor.

Fuel 3/4

Next tuesday I will change the 4 shocks.
Xoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:22   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

It does depend on Springs/shocks fitted and other things such as mileage done/age, wheel/tyre size etc.
No definitive measurement I can give you I am afraid.
Will alter with time and require replacement.
Whats the ride like and check that the rear springs haven't snapped.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 03:56   #5
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

The ride height seems about the same as mine with just over 1/2 tank

My front are about 700mm* with new OEM Delph springs les than a week ago
My rear are about 690mm*
* = + or - about 2mm

So it is not low

Do not know what your mileage is but I would not rush to replace the shocks, as you may feel no benefit unless you have a defective shock.

You will know if you have a defective shock by bouncy ride or suspension bottoming, worn bushes or leaks, and there are ways to test the general conditin of the shocks by opening the bonnet and rear doors, and bounce test your suspension on the inner wings and the rear wheelarch parts of the inner door, and compare it against a 75 with low mileage. Itis very hard to tell the difference between my mates who has done less than 25,000 and mine that is approaching 140,000. either by bounce test or driving each others car, neither can my mate. I think his car is a little firmer, he thinks mine is a little smoother. but we have to drive each others car for a whole day to notice any difference when we get back into our own cars. it takes feel and practice. I am not a mechanic, however I did train as a mechanic from 1973 to 1976, then decided I hated it . attending meets is good, I am sure a member would be willing to take you for a spin in a low and high mileage car, and go for a spin in yours. If the ride feels the same, and the bounce test, you could be throwing your money away, but it is your car and your money.

I considered replacing my front shocks when I replaced my springs, just to see what the ride was like. But with the state of the roads, and speed humps everywhere, I did not see the point in wasting my money if the only place you can get a smooth ride is the motorway

Last edited by Devilish; 23rd July 2009 at 04:09..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 07:21   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
The ride height seems about the same as mine with just over 1/2 tank

My front are about 700mm* with new OEM Delph springs les than a week ago
My rear are about 690mm*
* = + or - about 2mm

So it is not low

Do not know what your mileage is but I would not rush to replace the shocks, as you may feel no benefit unless you have a defective shock.

You will know if you have a defective shock by bouncy ride or suspension bottoming, worn bushes or leaks, and there are ways to test the general conditin of the shocks by opening the bonnet and rear doors, and bounce test your suspension on the inner wings and the rear wheelarch parts of the inner door, and compare it against a 75 with low mileage. Itis very hard to tell the difference between my mates who has done less than 25,000 and mine that is approaching 140,000. either by bounce test or driving each others car, neither can my mate. I think his car is a little firmer, he thinks mine is a little smoother. but we have to drive each others car for a whole day to notice any difference when we get back into our own cars. it takes feel and practice. I am not a mechanic, however I did train as a mechanic from 1973 to 1976, then decided I hated it . attending meets is good, I am sure a member would be willing to take you for a spin in a low and high mileage car, and go for a spin in yours. If the ride feels the same, and the bounce test, you could be throwing your money away, but it is your car and your money.

I considered replacing my front shocks when I replaced my springs, just to see what the ride was like. But with the state of the roads, and speed humps everywhere, I did not see the point in wasting my money if the only place you can get a smooth ride is the motorway

Have just checked mine and the measurements are the same as Devilsh But I have recently replaced the rear springs as both sides had broken at the base,they must have been broken for sometime and only found out when I removed the wheels to clean them on the inside

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:13   #7
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

That was a well timed reply number 6.

So there you have it, your front and rear ride height is the same as one with new springs fitted front and rear. Now you can ignore the ride height how does the ride/bounce test feel.