Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2023, 20:08   #1
dave1850
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Endless Boot Leaks

Hello All

I've got the dreaded boot leak on my R75 saloon and cannot cure it. The recent rain has tested my attempted cures and one out of three has been successful.

Early in the year I found water beneath the rear window bulkhead and pooling beneath both light clusters within the boot. Generous use of Cpt Tolleys followed by clear bathroom sealer around the outside of the rear screen seal has sorted the bulkhead entry and it's now dry at the seat end of the boot.

However not so at the light cluster end. I replaced the seal on the rear offside cluster and added sealant generously between the seals and body. Still getting in. There's no sign of leakage where the trim clips penetrate the rear wing panel, nor around the boot vents. The bootlid seal appears in good condition.

Have I missed anything? It appears the boot seal is no longer available through suppliers. Should I perhaps remove the light cluster seals and just use sealant perhaps?

thank you
Dave
dave1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2023, 20:48   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1850 View Post
Hello All

I've got the dreaded boot leak on my R75 saloon and cannot cure it. The recent rain has tested my attempted cures and one out of three has been successful.

Early in the year I found water beneath the rear window bulkhead and pooling beneath both light clusters within the boot. Generous use of Cpt Tolleys followed by clear bathroom sealer around the outside of the rear screen seal has sorted the bulkhead entry and it's now dry at the seat end of the boot.

However not so at the light cluster end. I replaced the seal on the rear offside cluster and added sealant generously between the seals and body. Still getting in. There's no sign of leakage where the trim clips penetrate the rear wing panel, nor around the boot vents. The bootlid seal appears in good condition.

Have I missed anything? It appears the boot seal is no longer available through suppliers. Should I perhaps remove the light cluster seals and just use sealant perhaps?

thank you
Dave
I've had similar issues....and a recent win. The 2 rearmost trim clips are secured by a plastic washer (I think NLA) and domed nut (NB only hand tighten this nut). The washer is neoprene foam backed and nigh on 20 years old so I've renewed that using 2mm thickness, seems to work since there is a leak stain below the fixing point and after some torrential rain, no water poolin so I'll now do the other 3 clips.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2023, 21:52   #3
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Ive finally solved my boot leak after many attempts doing everything people advised nothing worked for my problem, replaced every seal done the rear screen clips , tollys everything i could try, new boot rubber seal and hinges , still no joy , in the end i ran a small beed of clear silicon along the the boot hinge and cant believe it stopped my leak hope it helps someone.
I used to have water just behind both back lights on the floor but not light seals.

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 10:46   #4
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janker View Post
Ive finally solved my boot leak after many attempts doing everything people advised nothing worked for my problem, replaced every seal done the rear screen clips , tollys everything i could try, new boot rubber seal and hinges , still no joy , in the end i ran a small beed of clear silicon along the the boot hinge and cant believe it stopped my leak hope it helps someone.
I used to have water just behind both back lights on the floor but not light seals.

I’d love to see a picture of exactly where you ran the bead of silicon.
No 1 saloon has a persistent leak that, like yourself, I’ve done most other culprits.
(Water coming down from above the passenger side light).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 11:08   #5
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

I recently found a leak in my boot. It's where the rear wing meets the body, at the top.
Lift the boot lid, the gulley that takes water to the back of the light cluster, put your fingers underneath it and up the outer side. there's a metal lip and water is coming through that. No idea how it's getting there but when I find my can of waxoil I'll get that sorted.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 11:11   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Funny this should crop up again. Had a leak in mine for years, chased it every where, got to the point I'd given up and just put a towel under the leak and fitted a boot liner. Friday I thought right, time for action. So I removed the hinge bolts one at a time and covered them in vaseline, refitted and tightened. Two nights of heavy rain and the boot is dry 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 16:37   #7
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
I’d love to see a picture of exactly where you ran the bead of silicon.
No 1 saloon has a persistent leak that, like yourself, I’ve done most other culprits.
(Water coming down from above the passenger side light).

Hi this the place side of the hinge worked for me hope it helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (16.4 KB, 75 views)

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 18:35   #8
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Quote:
After trying every thing that Janker did prior to the hinge fix with silicon, the above is exactly what fixed my boot leak.

Tommy :-)
Old 16th April 2023, 19:21   #9
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:

Ta for that.

2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 21:28   #10
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
After trying every thing that Janker did prior to the hinge fix with silicon, the above is exactly what fixed my boot leak.

Tommy :-)
Bane of my ownership!! During your search and destroy mission did you
a) use a sealant on each of the hinge fastener bolts (remove/coat and re-fasten)
b) clean out/re-seal the section of the spot welded rear wing/boot gutter seam that runs behind the hinge plate
and check the effect each one had.

Only a comment but the gutter seam runs the full length of the boot side opening (right down to the rear light cluster aperture) and along the section below the rear window and the OEM sealant (now at least 18 years old) seems to age/crack/shrink so members have liberally coated this with Captain Tollies which seems to fill any gaps/cracks that appear over time. The top left and right corners of the boot gutter will be the points that get the most drenching so it's there that needs the most attention.
Silicon based sealants may not be the best long term solution and I'd recommend Sikaflex 521 UV and activator - more expensive but probably the Carlsburg of readily available auto sealants.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote