Old 18th June 2012, 12:32   #1
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Default TV any good?

I get very confused when looking at TV specs etc

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-50pz...96292-pdt.html

Is this any good,

I have plucked it out because it is big, cheap and 3D but I am not sure that is the best basis to buy a TV?

Any thoughts or recommendations?
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 13:25   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I was looking back at some of the posts which had not been answered and wondered what was the end to your post. Did you make a choice?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 13:32   #3
GT Courier

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I was looking back at some of the posts which had not been answered and wondered what was the end to your post. Did you make a choice?
I did!

I went to currys or one of those I forget, and they were peddling the plasma tvs, but he said they were old technology hence them being cheap and that although they were good they can be a bit dull

So I went for a 47" LED 3D tv (with free bluray player) which is very good and not much more expensive....

Thanks for your post, my recommendation when buying a large TV is get a ****** good surround sound kit, which I did too and the sound is awesome and really makes a massive difference.

Only draw back is all the ****** wires everywhere!!
Old 10th October 2012, 13:39   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanks

It looks as though you had a good deal with the blue ray added to the package.

A couple of months ago my old box packed up and I had to get one of the smart 40" LED ones with freeview built in. It has a connection for www but I had no need to use it.

I should have added on a few more quid and got the 3-D.

Anyway, I glad it worked out for you nicely in the end Richard.
Old 10th October 2012, 14:20   #5
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

There's always something new....a few years ago I bought a 40" Samsung series 5 lcd...nice tv now superceded of course, by:

LED...brighter image
HD tuner....wish I had this on mine
3D...nor interested in this feature
Interactive gubbins

& so it goes on. We'll be ordering pizzas and paying out rent through them soon enough....
Old 10th October 2012, 20:29   #6
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Plasmas give a better 'true' image, they are less harsh than LCD TVs (which LED TVs are) and they have much much faster reactions than LCDs, making them better for motion. They are less bright if placed in a bright room however. Plasmas are better for dark rooms because they have deeper blacks and a more natural look. Once set up right no LCD/LED can touch them.

The PZ550T LG plasma has a few issues, but once overcome its a great TV. The basic issue is that it has a badly setup voltage regulator, making blacks rather grey (the base voltage is too high so blacks dont drop low enough). Once adjusted its a very very good picture and can be calibrated to a very high standard. Now when displaying a full true black image the screen is hardly visible at all in the dark, before it was clearly luminous and grey, much more like an LCD.

I knew this when i bought mine for £450 on offer, i adjusted the voltage, calibrated it and now its a great picture, a picture thats far better than the price tag.
Old 10th October 2012, 23:32   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

The old box I had which packed up was an Lg plasma. £1000 new in 2006 with in built diagnostics, on board booster and numerous other features. I will say one thing and that is that it's picture compared to the LED one was not so sharp and by the time it had to go it would have cost more to repair than was economically viable.
Old 11th October 2012, 15:13   #8
GT Courier

Billy No Car

The plasma ones certainly looked dull in comparison to the LEDs and the blacks as you say were grey,

I didnt really want to spend a lot effort fiddling around with the settings so I am happy with what I chose,

Apparantly the LEDs use less power which as you can tell from my profile, greeny ness is very important to me. It might be a load of nonsense on behalf of the salesman/monkey helper in currys,

I note that Tescos are flogging off lots of plasma TVs at the mo which isnt a good sign imo as they usually push what ever they have left over.

On the sound front, the sound bar type systems shown to me in currys were not good (something else Tesco flogs a lot of) and I went for a sony surround system 1000w or something which blows the doors off

The LED TV was very easy to setup and the only weird thing I have had was the sync on sound through the blueray which is easy to adjust, but in this day and age you would think they could get the picture and the sound lined up properly!

PS - I dont want to know the techy reasons for this as I might keal over.

I might be replacing our 32" tube in the longue with the 47" i bought above and buying an even bigger one for the games room, I thought 47" was going to be massive, but have some how got used to it!

The 3D feature is okay, but kids dont like and it is abit of a novalty and works better on some things than others, it is of course simulated 2D unless it is a proper 3D bluray, but I always find the 3D is very good for slow moving things but in action films it just gets blurry

Next stop 55"?!!!
Old 11th October 2012, 16:05   #9
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendriver View Post
There's always something new - We'll be ordering pizzas and paying out rent through them soon enough....

I already do!! yep !! use one as a monitor for the desktop so I can watch "I" player etc on a decent screen!! so I can do my Indian takeaway order and pay me council tax on it to!!

Andy
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 18:16   #10
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Old plasmas run a weird resolution for widescreen TV, 1024x768 with rectangular pixels, thats why they seen 'soft' compared to LCDs. Most modern ones are true HD though and dont have that issue.

Im not really into the smart TV functions, i have a PC connected already, and thats smarter..