Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2018, 13:19   #1
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
I thought this was still the worlds ugliest car contender.

Guess that you motor is creeping up on this Fiat disaster.

And yet it won the car of the year award, incidentally Fiat have won it more than any other manufacturer if I remember correctly

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 15:20   #2
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
And yet it won the car of the year award, incidentally Fiat have won it more than any other manufacturer if I remember correctly
You serious this thing won car of the year award.

I had too look it up to see if you were joking, You weren't either.

www.motormum.com/Fiat-Multipla.php

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 21:46   #3
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Those little brown envelopes with money in them are really working well for Fixed.. Sorry, I mean Fiat.

It really is an ugly car.. I look at lots of ugly cars, and I don't know what's worse, A: That the designer ever thought that was a good looking vehicle..

And B: Somebody in charge looked at this guys design and singed it off! ?
" yep.. that's it!, this ugly, pile of oddly shaped garbage is exactly what we are looking for! "

Makes no sense at all.
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 00:08   #4
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
Those little brown envelopes with money in them are really working well for Fixed.. Sorry, I mean Fiat.

It really is an ugly car.. I look at lots of ugly cars, and I don't know what's worse, A: That the designer ever thought that was a good looking vehicle..

And B: Somebody in charge looked at this guys design and singed it off! ?
" yep.. that's it!, this ugly, pile of oddly shaped garbage is exactly what we are looking for! "

Makes no sense at all.
The worse part is C: Significant numbers of the general public looked at the Multipla and thought "Now that is a good looking car. I'm going to spend my money and buy one"
Old 15th May 2018, 07:49   #5
Paul129
Regular poster

Living in hope for a 75

I started as an apprentice mechanic in 1971 for a Austin Morris dealership and back then the cars could be worked on without the need for a laptop also it was a skill to be able to tune an engine getting mixture and timing just right. I remember the mgb V8 golden jubilee coming out and thought what a great car. I have now retired after working in the trade for 42 years I would love a 75 but shmbo says it would cost to much.
Paul129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 11:28   #6
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

A lot of car designs are decided by accountants. Designers will come up with lots of lovely designs, but try getting them past the accountant!
Old 15th May 2018, 11:42   #7
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
A lot of car designs are decided by accountants. Designers will come up with lots of lovely designs, but try getting them past the accountant!
I'm not sure it's even that, lots of car designers now grew up with the eurobox and it's what they know so they design them. Obviously the wind tunnel and CFD also play a major part in design nowadays as well so cars are going to be a similar shape because it's the shape that works in those situations.

The devil is in the detail though, I think the Alfa 147 is one of the more beautiful small hatchbacks ever, it just looks like a hatchback from afar (or if you don't care about cars) but if you actually properly look at one it's just good design very well done.

I actually like the design of estate cars much more than saloons and hatchbacks at the moment, they look like someone had some fun with them!

The Honda Prelude, of which there are several pictures here, on the other hand was/is a brilliant drivers car and very clever - but it looks pretty average to be honest
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 07:32   #8
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post

The devil is in the detail though, I think the Alfa 147 is one of the more beautiful small hatchbacks ever, it just looks like a hatchback from afar (or if you don't care about cars) but if you actually properly look at one it's just good design very well done.

Ive just sold (trade in) my Alfa 147 1.6TS Lusso. Yes I agree a very nice car with Italian design all over it. Even the car dealer gave positive comments on it! A car of that age would normally head off to auction but it was gleaming red and was in really nice condition so he decided to keep it and sell it on his forecourt.

Last edited by Yella Fella; 16th May 2018 at 07:34..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 19:04   #9
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul129 View Post
I started as an apprentice mechanic in 1971 for a Austin Morris dealership and back then the cars could be worked on without the need for a laptop also it was a skill to be able to tune an engine getting mixture and timing just right. I remember the mgb V8 golden jubilee coming out and thought what a great car. I have now retired after working in the trade for 42 years I would love a 75 but shmbo says it would cost to much.
Paul, with what you know about cars, you should be able to spot the bad ones, and the ones which are basically sound, with perhaps the odd fixable fault which will make them a bargain to buy. One thing is for sure, right now, it would be hard to find more car for the money, - you can get a reasonable 75 for less than £500, and a very good, while not perfect one for £1,000. And maintained by a mechanic, it isn't going to depreciate much. The big decision is BMW diesel, or MG/R petrol. I chose the diesel because the engine is renowned for high mileage and economy, lower (£190) tax, yet still a very quiet and comfortable long-distance cruiser. I currently do 100 miles a day in mine. It cost me £850, and I have spent around £250 in improvements and maintenance in the 6months and 7,000 miles since buying it. Even my wife likes the way it drives (although not its image!) And I know plenty of better bargains have been had - I couldn't believe what fellow members had got for their money at last weekend's show at Chester-le-Street. There's a car out there with your name on it. No harm in looking?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2018, 07:48   #10
Paul129
Regular poster

Living in hope for a 75

I will start looking around is there any where you wouldn't trust to buy from eg eBay etc? I have worked on alot of cars Austin 1100 , maxi , Allegro , 1800, 2200 ( transverse 6 engine ) the engine was a pig to get out with an auto box. Leyland Princess, marina and original mini when I was first married I bought one of these a mini clubman for £90 and put a new rear subframe in , two years later sold it for £130.
Paul129 is offline   Reply With Quote