Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2014, 15:03   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Air bag warning light -Dreaded 'red fat man' icon is 'on'

Thought there would be loads on this (seeing as we all condemn the poor little yellow plugs), tried a search for the subject but just a blank page!!
So, I'll ask the question - preparation for MOT (today) included the yellow plug/unplug trick as the air bag warning started to play up last week.
It seems to remain OK whilst I'm driving alone but when the wife sits in the passenger seat the light comes on again. If it's a true system fault my guess is the light would not cancel anyway.
So, is there an occupation pad (sensor) in the seats (like Audi and I think BMW) that triggers that particular position to interrogate the system on start-up or is my particular problem something else?
Any suggestions welcome - BTW, failed MOT on a rear tyre (thought it might just squeeze thro' before I was forced to spend even more dough) and handbrake (shoe adjustment required) so I've got a few days to sort those out prior re-test and I prefer not to have the air bag light go rogue on me and cause another failure item just for spite.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 15:10   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I'm surprised nothing came up on your search,
But if it helps the connections under the drivers seat is a common cause.

The missus's diesel air bag light comes on sometimes when it's moved back for my big legs.

I quick wiggle and it's out again.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 15:43   #3
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Thought there would be loads on this (seeing as we all condemn the poor little yellow plugs), tried a search for the subject but just a blank page!!
So, I'll ask the question - preparation for MOT (today) included the yellow plug/unplug trick as the air bag warning started to play up last week.
It seems to remain OK whilst I'm driving alone but when the wife sits in the passenger seat the light comes on again. If it's a true system fault my guess is the light would not cancel anyway.
So, is there an occupation pad (sensor) in the seats (like Audi and I think BMW) that triggers that particular position to interrogate the system on start-up or is my particular problem something else?
Any suggestions welcome - BTW, failed MOT on a rear tyre (thought it might just squeeze thro' before I was forced to spend even more dough) and handbrake (shoe adjustment required) so I've got a few days to sort those out prior re-test and I prefer not to have the air bag light go rogue on me and cause another failure item just for spite.
have you done the plug unplug thing under both seats as it seems like you have a fault on the one under passenger seat.
Old 27th November 2014, 16:01   #4
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I've only fiddled with the passenger seat plug as there is no alarm with just a driver using the car.
Old 27th November 2014, 16:20   #5
biggles 1957
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6. Copperleaf. Morris Traveller. 86" Series 1 Land-Rover. BMW K75RT

Have you checked under the carpets for water?
biggles 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 16:46   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

It's worth you unbolting the passenger seat and tilting it back for a better look .I have heard that the wires to the plugs are secured to the seat / cushion frame and that they can break internally due to flexing as people sit on them ! Try unfastening them and let them hang loose !
This might explain the problem you are having .
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:38   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Dreaded 'red fat man' icon is 'on'

I've recently posted a question on this but no specific answers - yet!
Persistent air bag light but only seems to alarm only when the passenger seat is occupied (or, whilst in the driver seat, I put just a bit of arm weight/bump the squab with my hand).
Fiddled with both plugs but it just keeps coming back 'on' - no passenger, no alarm. Suggestion on this forum to check that the air bag wires underneath the seat are not cable tied and being 'disturbed' when the squab is depressed by occupant.
Does anyone know how the MGR system senses that there isn't a passenger present? Is there an occupancy sensor in the seat squab or does the system 'arm' when the passenger seat belt is latched.
In the event of a rapid deceleration (i.e. a crash) do all the air bags deploy or just those where there is an occupant?
Meantime I'll keep fiddling, it's just passed the MOT whilst in a no-light mood.:
Old 2nd December 2014, 23:04   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Threads merged as they are related.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:33   #9
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
This is what your after, replacing the connectors under the seats;
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=162111
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:35   #10
stevesav
Gets stuck in

rover 75 1.8T Classic

Have you thought about leaving your wife at home then, problem solved