Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2014, 11:06   #21
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I think people should just stop whining and get on with it.
You'll never acheive anything other than high blood pressure and governments are never going to listen, people need to accept we're only free to do as we are told.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:08   #22
DaveyC
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by billericaymgxpower View Post
That's true of most of the public sector. What is the ideal? Outsourcing is taking a lion share in much of the public sector but this creates another set of issues.
My department were being put out for outsourcing. Horrible time. However, we had confirmation last week that nobody was interested, as it would cost more to outsource than to do the job in house. We were all chuffed. Whilst there are still areas of the local authority (well the one I work for) which could be done cheaper or differently, its not the case with all departments.

Before anyone asks, I run the ICT systems for the Housing Benefit & council tax reduction teams. Cheapest is not always best (like buying bits for your car. Would you buy bargain bin brake parts and run your family around at break neck speed?).
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:17   #23
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I do not know where "these" people think the money is going to come from. If you tax (extra) those that have then "they" will not spend any nor employ many. If you merely spread it all out, what are you going to do with "your" 25p ??
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:24   #24
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Nissan Patrol, Volkswagen Touareg, Vauxhall Frontera

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I do not know where "these" people think the money is going to come from. If you tax (extra) those that have then "they" will not spend any nor employ many. If you merely spread it all out, what are you going to do with "your" 25p ??
Hmmm 25p eh? If we get rid of the royals as well then I'll have a full quid I'm tempted
billericaymgxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:25   #25
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
That's true of most of the public sector. What is the ideal? Outsourcing is taking a lion share in much of the public sector but this creates another set of issues.
I don't think there is a right or wrong on either side, I do think its wrong to always assume public or private is better though.

I remember years ago working for the council as an apprentice joiner, we used to have a book with times for jobs, so fitting a front door and frame used to be classed as a 8 hours work, it used to be done in 4 hours, I wasn't allowed to go get another job by the union rep, so essentially I would get dropped off by the driver at my grandmas and watch TV for 4 hours till it was clock off time

Then bonuses came in to effect, so the spare 4 hours could be worked, so if I did 2 doors and frames in a day, I earn't 16 hours pay for 8 hours work, this failed as it cost a fortune, then it went private, at which point you were grateful to just a have a job, which is how it should be for me.

Bonuses for actually doing your job I have never understood.

Simon
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:29   #26
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
My department were being put out for outsourcing. Horrible time. However, we had confirmation last week that nobody was interested, as it would cost more to outsource than to do the job in house. We were all chuffed. Whilst there are still areas of the local authority (well the one I work for) which could be done cheaper or differently, its not the case with all departments.

Before anyone asks, I run the ICT systems for the Housing Benefit & council tax reduction teams. Cheapest is not always best (like buying bits for your car. Would you buy bargain bin brake parts and run your family around at break neck speed?).
Many LA's have outsourced their revenue departments but with changes in administration I don't believe it was as profitable as they thought it was to be.
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:30   #27
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The general public are the soft option to pay through tax as they cannot refuse and never revolt to the extent that would change anything. That, however, does not solve the problem - it merely papers over the cracks and disguises the reason for the necessity for 'austerity'.

The basic problem is the massive waste in government spending, or, put it another way, hopelessly inadequate management of the country's assets by politicians and civil servants (to a lesser extent) who are simply unqualified to be entrusted with the country's finances. The art of the cover-up has replaced the need for fiscal expertise and it is in none of their interests to admit it and change it.
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:18   #28
DaveyC

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Many LA's have outsourced their revenue departments but with changes in administration I don't believe it was as profitable as they thought it was to be.
I know our CT collection is one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest met - well when they had that as a PI.). Despite all the doom and gloom our collections rates for CT & NDR remain largely unaffected. I'm not saying there is not austerity and that no one is affected but in terms of % collected, its unaffected. I have done the same monitoring in the same system for 10 years and the figures hold up.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:02   #29
neilb740

MG ZT 1.8

Ahhh "NO MORE AUSTERITY!!" coz my Uni lecturer told me is was, like, bad yeah

Maybe I should hold a protest outside my bank with a big "NO MORE OVERDRAFT" banner. I want to spend loads of money I don't have and its against my human rights for him not to let me!

Jeez its not rocket science!

Last edited by neilb740; 23rd June 2014 at 14:05..
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:14   #30
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

Bonus I believe should be for going the extra miles. Bringing added value to the job but not for just doing a good job. It needs to accepted that if you have a job then that is what you do, your job and in return recieve payment.