Notices

Old 23rd June 2014, 22:06   #41
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Oh bully for you bolin....

You should go and join the rich gits in Westminster who think just like you...
As you so eloquently state "I'm alright jack, and stuff the rest"!
Well now, that's not very nice Bill

I am not a rich g*t as you suggest. Is that what you thought when we spoke at the Frog & Wicket? (whilst you were talking about getting a new Smartphone - I don't own one of those myself).

I am a carer for my Dad who has dementia, and haven't been able to work for nearly a year due to his worsening condition. As a result I don't have anywhere near the income I used to, and have been seriously considering selling my car and buying another due to the problems it has and how much it will probably cost to fix. You have a lovely example, but I can't afford to get mine into a similar condition.

I haven't been able to have a holiday for 3 years due to my caring commitments and barely have any social life. Not fun I can tell you. Have you been away anywhere nice recently?

As for you thinking that I have the attitude of "I'm alright jack, and stuff the rest" - firstly, you try telling me I'm alright when I have to clean my Dad's urine off the floor after he struggles to use the toilet at night and you'll see just how 'alright' I am, in my current situation. Secondly, I am known (amongst my friends) for being left-leaning and I even used to subscribe to New Internationalist, and did not express that "stuff the rest" sentiment in my posts. I simply wanted to know if anybody on this forum had been affected by austerity - I am well aware that some people are experiencing difficulties, and I have heard case studies involving the Bedroom Tax and the changes to DLA, but just haven't met anybody that has complained about being personally affected by anything. But now I have heard of 4 instances from people here.

But you were ignorant of all this, so I'll forgive you and just leave you with the suggestion that you think before typing, and should reinstate your disclaimer into your signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I agree with the gist of what you are saying Bill in the sense of 'I'm all right, pull the ladder up Jack' that some people have
As I said above, I didn't express that sentiment. I just wanted to hear how people on this forum had personally been affected, rather than just what they had heard from the TV news or newspapers.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 15:23   #42
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

When I read the message boards on news websites like the BBC or Daily Mail, there are two topics that people appear to be most ignorant of.

Tax and government spending.

There's an underlying assumption that businesses can be taxed into oblivion and that profit is a dirty word.
What many choose to ignore is the fact that some of the biggest shareholders in publicly listed companies are pension firms. Profits fund dividends and dividends fund our pensions. We could tax businesses to high heaven but we'd surely regret it when we're still having to work into our 90's because our retirement pot is a little hollow.

Now, moving on to government spending.
This is an easy one.
We spend too much. More than we bring in in tax in fact so we have to go out to the market and borrow.
Our governments are constantly selling debt and funnily enough, some of the biggest buyers of this debt (Fixed Income) are our pension firms.

The problem with borrowing money is that you've got to pay it back. The only way you can hope to stay on top of it is if your economy is constantly growing and let's be honest with ourselves, that's not gonna happen.

Fun fact: If there was no debt in the world, there would be no money.

Imagine this:

1. There is only £1 in the entire global economy and we borrow it from a central bank at 10% interest.

Now you're thinking, how can I pay back the 10% interest (10p) if there's only £1 in the entire global economy.

2. I go back to the central bank and I borrow £1.10 at 10% interest.

Now how did that happen if there's only £1 in the whole world? Quantitative Easing. Money is literally made up out of thin air. This money doesn't create value. It steals it from yours and everyone else's savings. It destroys wealth and weakens your spending power.
This is why BitCoin has peaked the interest of people as there is a definitive, finite amount of coin but that's another topic.

3. So now I've paid off the debt from the original loan but I've got to pay off the debt from the loan I took out to pay it off. £1.21. The cycle repeats itself until the central bank doesn't want to loan you anymore because you've got no hope of sustaining this debt cycle any longer. This might be because you've got no collateral or assets left to put up as security. Then our world ends as we know it and maybe something better arises... or we get all like Mad Max 2.

So.
Austerity.
We're not reducing our debt, we're just reducing how much we have to borrow which is a good thing. It buys future generations a little time.

In a monetary based economy, we can't all be minted with gold plated pensions. We've been spoilt with the vast array of government services that are open to us and now we're having to pay for them or in some cases, scrap them altogether.

To quote Batman (technically Catwoman): You're all going to wonder how you ever thought you could live so large...
Old 24th June 2014, 16:05   #43
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Well now, that's not very nice Bill

I am not a rich g*t as you suggest. Is that what you thought when we spoke at the Frog & Wicket? (whilst you were talking about getting a new Smartphone - I don't own one of those myself).

I am a carer for my Dad who has dementia, and haven't been able to work for nearly a year due to his worsening condition. As a result I don't have anywhere near the income I used to, and have been seriously considering selling my car and buying another due to the problems it has and how much it will probably cost to fix. You have a lovely example, but I can't afford to get mine into a similar condition.

I haven't been able to have a holiday for 3 years due to my caring commitments and barely have any social life. Not fun I can tell you. Have you been away anywhere nice recently?

As for you thinking that I have the attitude of "I'm alright jack, and stuff the rest" - firstly, you try telling me I'm alright when I have to clean my Dad's urine off the floor after he struggles to use the toilet at night and you'll see just how 'alright' I am, in my current situation. Secondly, I am known (amongst my friends) for being left-leaning and I even used to subscribe to New Internationalist, and did not express that "stuff the rest" sentiment in my posts. I simply wanted to know if anybody on this forum had been affected by austerity - I am well aware that some people are experiencing difficulties, and I have heard case studies involving the Bedroom Tax and the changes to DLA, but just haven't met anybody that has complained about being personally affected by anything. But now I have heard of 4 instances from people here.

But you were ignorant of all this, so I'll forgive you and just leave you with the suggestion that you think before typing, and should reinstate your disclaimer into your signature.

As I said above, I didn't express that sentiment. I just wanted to hear how people on this forum had personally been affected, rather than just what they had heard from the TV news or newspapers.
Hi Colin, I was one who stepped up and gave a brief account and I hope I had answered it sufficiently Over the years various members have talked about losing their jobs through redundancies, cuts in services, having to give up their cars or the loss of their homes and on top of that ill health and stress brought on by the worry of it all, through no fault of their own. Not everyone wants to revisit those memories, or make them public, which is quite understandable. In a nutshell - The victims of austerity maybe. Definitely a change of circumstances.

I was saddened to read about your Dad, his illness and how life has been for you. You have a lot on your plate. You still manage a smile and try to help us at the same time, whilst at home dementia is so unforgiving. I hope you are able to access respite services for a break.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 25th June 2014 at 04:19.. Reason: Added
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 08:53   #44
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Colin, I was one who stepped up and gave a brief account and I hope I had answered it sufficiently Over the years various members have talked about losing their jobs through redundancies, cuts in services, having to give up their cars or the loss of their homes and on top of that ill health and stress brought on by the worry of it all, through no fault of their own. Not everyone wants to revisit those memories, or make them public, which is quite understandable. In a nutshell - The victims of austerity maybe. Definitely a change of circumstances.

I was saddened to read about your Dad, his illness and how life has been for you. You have a lot on your plate. You still manage a smile and try to help us at the same time, whilst at home dementia is so unforgiving. I hope you are able to access respite services for a break.
I can only echo what philip has said in regard to caring for someone with dementia it is a soul destroying experience and when that person is someone you have known and loved all your life its doublely true. That is true sacrifice and it makes me feel my problems are as nought in comparison. Yes there are some who have the attitude I am all right jack and that's not unique to this country alone,but there are some who like bolin make huge sacrifices and ask for no praise its people like him we should be thankful for
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote