Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2024, 12:50   #41
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE saloon, 2.5 KV6 automatic, 2002, White Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post
If I may come back into this - re the shuttle If it were a fire I suspect the fire suppression system would activate.

It's well established that these fires cannot be extinguished, they have to burn out - in the case of the ships, I guess on the sea bed.
As I understand it, the lithium fire itself cannot be extinguished, but the fire suppression system will surely stop it from spreading to nearby cars or the fabric of the ship. In any case, the ship is made from steel - why would a fire sink it?

Having said all that, I've only seen one video of an electric car fire, and it was quite violent but the most notable thing was how long it went on for. Perhaps the fire suppression system could be exhausted by a prolonged burn?

We are all just expressing our opinions and fears; conjecture, basically. It would be good to get some hard data from official fire investigators and prevention officers. You can bet they are looking hard at this new risk.
Old 11th March 2024, 15:56   #42
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I probably am risk aversive, for a good reason...............I want to stop on this place we call world, as long as I can.I have only witnessed one really bad fire, and that was many years ago on the m/way. I don’t know what was on the lorry, but the heat off it could be felt on the other side of the M/way which I was on. If it was on the shuttle, and in the confined space of the carriage, not forgetting that these EV batteries usually explode as well as burning, You would have to move pretty quick to get out of the carriage, especially if the air lock type of doors still worked, or had been shut down.
Old 13th March 2024, 19:30   #43
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Breaking News

It would appear that tha i-pace driver has now been arrested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-68557652
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2024, 21:49   #44
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveThackery View Post
It does seem such a remarkable sequence of events, I think a little residual scepticism is reasonable.
How interesting to hear about the arrest. Of course he's innocent until proved guilty, but meanwhile it looks like a little scepticism might be justified.
Old 14th March 2024, 10:36   #45
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Sorry Steve, no he is not! In the real world he can also be guilty - until proven or otherwise.

However, it's predictable to see a manufacturer in the picture. The implications of such a failure are huge and much evidence of exactly what, or who, failed is as yet unclear. It is though getting somewhat clearer about this being the second time for this vehicle.

The first time was followed by the supplier returning it to him with a 'no fault' diagnosis . It seems like a 'not me guv' episode is in the offing. Also, the reason for arrest is apparently not disclosed. Normal practice, but it stinks.
Old 14th March 2024, 13:01   #46
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
However, it's predictable to see a manufacturer in the picture. The implications of such a failure are huge and much evidence of exactly what, or who, failed is as yet unclear. It is though getting somewhat clearer about this being the second time for this vehicle.

The first time was followed by the supplier returning it to him with a 'no fault' diagnosis . It seems like a 'not me guv' episode is in the offing. Also, the reason for arrest is apparently not disclosed. Normal practice, but it stinks.
Yes, I have said all that earlier in the thread. Perhaps you didn’t read it. I discussed at length whether the dealer had any legal liability after returning it to him as "fault not found" after the first incident. Check back up the thread - you'll find it.

You seem to want us to disagree, but I don't think we do.
Old 14th March 2024, 15:11   #47
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Disagree? No Steve! All points have been valid. Slight variations, in perhaps context, are welcome and valid.

Ally all this to another very interesting current post highlighting drops in values of 2nd hand EV's. A much more telling picture emerges of serious damage being done to the whole concept of the existential and bigger changes in train regarding NetZero. The whole thing has possible repercussions of theories that could spell trouble for Doomsday being somewhat slightly exaggerated!
Old 14th March 2024, 17:44   #48
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Wow. According to online news feeds a Jaguar Ipace was brought to a halt by police cars on the M25 on Wesnesday.

It was out of control, with the terrified driver calling the police for help. Speeding at 90 mph and the driver unable to stop it or reduce speed. The police driver overtook and got in front, allowed the distance between them to gradually reduce until touching, and another police car got behind it. They forced it to stop without crashing.

In the same article there was a report that some 6000 EV’s in the USA have been withdrawn due to batteries catching fire. It’s most odd not to see any UK news progs featuring that. Oh, and it won’t do the massive sales publicity any good either.

What the heck has one of ‘our’ best manufacturers been thinking of to risk their hard earned reputation with this ridiculous ‘Zero’ fallacy.
the dangers of driving a battery on four wheels, what can you say.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2024, 22:11   #49
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Anyone read the latest about EVs? A test was carried out to see if the mileage quoted was anything like. A fully charged battery, and driven round a track. Not even on a road with its ups and downs. They were a Lexus UX 300c:- mileage quoted...273 miles on a fully charged battery supposed..... actual mileage:- 170 miles 37% less. Good is it not. Volkswagen ID7 supposed mileage 383, ....actual mileage 254 miles. And another car, supposed mileage on a full charge, 331 miles. actual mileage 252. The person testing them, went on a drive ‘up north’ in his own car some 700 miles, on ordinary roads, and said he would have had to stop at least twice, perhaps even three times in any of those cars mentioned........ if he could find a charging point.......that worked. We are going backwards to the Stone Age in many many ways. We are being led by donkeys. Now where have I heard that before?
Old 17th March 2024, 08:35   #50
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Is anybody left that still believes we have a workable Trades Description Act? Or is the motor trade blessed with a work-around?