Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2018, 16:46   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Memory seats

Hello guys, today I noticed that my 3 memory seats small buttons are not properly functioning anymore, I can move the seat perfectly fine like it should in every position with the big knobs, but when pressing the small buttons to move the seat into a preset memory position (one of the 3 little buttons) it doesn't do anything. But funny thing is, it works setting new memory positions (pressing M button and then one of the 3 little buttons) because I can hear the beep which confirms the new set position. As far as I can see, I can set new memory positions but when I press one of the 3 buttons to move into one of the new positions, it does nothing, even though all the motors work properly when pressing the big knobs to move the seat in any way I want, any ideas?

Also to notice that Toaf and Delphi diagnosing shows no errors regarding this matter.

Last edited by Rsnail; 22nd July 2018 at 19:54..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:55   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Sounds like k buds issue...
Pull the battery negative for 30 mins.
If that does not fix it check the wiring under the drivers seat. .
Old 23rd July 2018, 15:06   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

And what should I do about the "k buds" besides the battery reset for 30 mins?

Also, tried looking under the seat but I can't properly see or understand a single thing that's going on under there... btw today I noticed that when I keep pressing on a big knob to move a part of the seat, in the meanwhile if I press one of the 3 little memory position buttons, the seat stops moving even though I still keep pressing on the big knobs, so it kind of receives the button pressed signal but doesn't send it forward to the ecu or motors or wherever that signal should go to...

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I installed an aftermarket car amp (360w RMS) in the boot and ran the power wire near the driver's seat under the floor carpet (near the door sills)? I was very careful while running the cable and neither touched any other cables that were already there nor disturbed anything that was in place... And even if I would've touched anything, that cable bundle under the carpet at the driver's side seat would be impossible to move in such ways that it would unconnect anything from the position where I was running the new cable under the carpet, the floor carpet is very thick and it wouldn't let things move so easily under it...
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:26   #4
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Tried reconnecting the battery after almost 1 hour, still nothing, I would start checking under the sear or elsewhere if I'd have a clue where to look at
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:02   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Tried reconnecting the battery after almost 1 hour, still nothing, I would start checking under the sear or elsewhere if I'd have a clue where to look at
Just unplug all of the connections and make sure they are all clean...

Are the seats original to the car or added later.?

Have you added or taken away any other parts.?

If a tourer... Is there water in the wheel well in the back?
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:44   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post

1. Did the memory buttons ever work?

2. Are you sure the three positions memorised are not the same positions?
It will beep a few times, if it is already in the correct position, or once it has reached its new position.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 09:46   #7
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

klarzy, the seats are original and no, I haven't added or taken away any other parts. I just installed the amp in the boot, and I have a saloon, but still, what's the thing about water in the wheel well, do you mean in the spare wheel place? Anyways, in the boot or in the spare wheel place there are no signs of water at all, are there somewhere connectors that has to do with the seats?

Harry, yes, the memory button were working perfectly fine, even though I don't use them all the time because I am the only driver of the car, and that's why I don't know how long they haven't been working and of it has to do something with the amp installing. And thing is, for the 3 buttons I always set different positions, it beeps when I memorise them, but when I press a button to go into the already set positions, it does neither beep nor move the seat to the set positions.
Old 24th July 2018, 18:11   #8
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Hi Rsnail

The memory seats controller is connected to the k-bus communications network in the car as are most of the systems.

If the k-bus is disturbed my short circuit, water ingress or items removed from the system or added... like a radio or amplifier.. this can stop the complete system from working correctly.

The reason for asking with the spare wheel well is there is sometimes some control units for Sat nav or stereo in this place... water collects here and causes a problem... this is usually in estate cars though..

I would lift the seat and check the wiring is good on the black connector from the car floor and into the switches themselves behind the seat panel...

Also try unplugging your amplifier and taking the battery off again for 30 minutes... If your amp wiring is causing an issue then the seat may start working again and you know where the problem is...

Last edited by klarzy; 24th July 2018 at 18:14..
klarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 18:50   #9
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, regarding the sat nav, I pulled the the navigation unit halfway out it's retaining "cage" in the boot, I did this in order to be able to move the black boot wall cover for finding a good earth connection for the amp, maybe I disconnected a connector behind the sat nav that also has to do with this k bus system? I really have no idea, hence my question, actually I have never ever used the original sat nav of the car, never put a cd in it and was also never able to turn it on because on my old symphony unit the buttons for the sat nav were dead... Will try my luck tomorrow for the connectors under the seat and disconnecting the amp and the battery again for half an hour, thanks for now! I'll come tomorrow back here with an answer
Old 25th July 2018, 15:35   #10
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Tried again the battery trick with the amp completely disconnected, not a single thing changed... Looked in the boot spare wheel well and I can't see ANY connector in there, just a rubber grommet and a cable bundle going through it kind of on the left outer car part of the well, also, no signs of water in there. Also, pulled the cover away from the right side of the boot, and noticed that there are 2 connector that are not connected to anything, one blue and one red, they have the same shape as the 2 that go into the sat nav unit, those are also there and connected to the sat nav, one blue and one pink, but I never touched them before and the seats were also working properly so I don't think it has something to do with that.

I looked again at all points where I ran the cables for the amp when installing it, all looks clean to me so I'm kinda standing here clueless and it's really annoying

EDIT: Looked a little bit deeper into the RAVE CD for the memory seats system description and figured out some things, the communication between the 3 memory push buttons and the seat memory ECU is intact, because 1st: it can store new memory positions, and 2nd: did a seat memory self test mode and that also confirmed that the buttons are communicating with the ECU. Now, the problem is, as far as I can see, the ECU receives the command from one of the 3 push buttons when they are pushed, but somehow, doesn't send it forward to the motors, also, if a relay inside the ECU would be faulty, it says that it would show on diagnostics, and I am pretty sure that either my Toaf or Delphi would've picked them up. Another thing that I don't know, is that the ECU communicates with the BCU also, but doesn't state for what, my guess is that only for the lazy seats part of the system, because the memory seat positions are stored in the seat memory ECU, and also, regarding the K bus, how can I know if that really is the issue for my problem? Can I measure the K bus wire somehow and tell if it works by measuring it's voltage for example? And also, what is the role of the K bus wire for the memory seats in my case and what would happen if it wouldn't work properly?

Last edited by Rsnail; 25th July 2018 at 17:53..