Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2016, 13:36   #1
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Company Car - opinions please

Two weeks ago the company I was working for went bust. Luckily I've just been offered a new job and its even on better money :¬)

The only question is they want me to have a company car. They do allow people to use their own car (and provide a car allowance to those that do) but only if its less than 3 years old.

I've got a 1999 2ltr V6 Connie Auto that I love. They want me to drive a Mazda. I'm sure they are fine, but just not my sort of thing.

Anyone know the financial position of using a company car? I guess I'll get taxed on it?

I guess I'll store mine on the drive for a couple of months but don't have a lot of space.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.

Last edited by Dragrad; 5th June 2016 at 00:10.. Reason: Edited to comply with Club Rules
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 14:27   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Unsure what opinions you seek, but can give this link to Gov.uk site where you can find all the facts about tax you'll pay on a company car. Hope it helps.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 14:35   #3
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Give my mate Nick Poole a call on 0844 85 45 100. Compnay is Fleethire.

He has simple to use software that will give you all the answers on whether you are better off using a company car or your own. Cost, tax and all other considerations.

I've known him for 30 years and he is spot on. I will not give you his mobile number but I am sure the switchboard will put you through.

Victor.
Old 4th June 2016, 14:36   #4
Sidetops
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

I used to have company cars for quite a few years. Working for Ford I had a new car every 3-6 months! It's a really nice perk, especially when there is no insurance, road tax, servicing and repairs to worry about.

However, after 12 years of new cars I hankered after owning my own car. There is nothing quite like owning your own car, doing what you like with it, and knowing no one can take it away. As it turned out the cost of running my own car isn't that much different from the cost having company cars. Usually top of the range Fords, the amount of tax I had to pay on my '09 Focus RS would make your eyes water!

Luckily my boss now allows me to take home anything with fuel in it (without being taxed) so I save of fuel and the mileage stays down on my own car!
Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 15:37   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

why sell your Connie?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 16:39   #6
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
why sell your Connie?

macafee2
Aye, the op might wish to investigate what would happen to his NCB if he runs a company car.

I've never had a company car, so I don't know if being on a corporate policy would keep his NCB alive or not........ but I'd certainly look into the in's and out's before I'd risk losing my NCB. It might be wise to consider insuring the connie on a restricted mileage policy if only to keep his ncb alive.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 17:13   #7
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the replies - I looked at Fleet Hire's website and followed a link through to http://www.whatcar.com/news/check-company-car-tax-rate/
Now need to find which variant is being offered in order to check the tax.

I reckon I'd be much better off taking the car allowance if possible. The 75 isn't expensive to run as long as petrol is covered and running it for work would be better than either having it plus the company car or selling it and just having the Mazda.

The thing that irritates me most is that they think the company car presents a better image to the clients. I reckon, as long as its not a rust bucket, turning up in your own car is more interesting and the old girl is classy enough to hold her own.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 18:09   #8
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
The thing that irritates me most is that they think the company car presents a better image to the clients. I reckon, as long as its not a rust bucket, turning up in your own car is more interesting and the old girl is classy enough to hold her own.
Aye, as a consumer I find it annoying when a rep turns up in a shiny expensive car. I want VFM, and care far more about the companys good reputation than their image.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 18:57   #9
Goldyy
Avid contributor

Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Aye, the op might wish to investigate what would happen to his NCB if he runs a company car.

I've never had a company car, so I don't know if being on a corporate policy would keep his NCB alive or not........ but I'd certainly look into the in's and out's before I'd risk losing my NCB. It might be wise to consider insuring the connie on a restricted mileage policy if only to keep his ncb alive.
Any no claims bonus is lost after two years of having no policy as I found out to my cost when I went on the Motability fleet. 45 years NCB down the tubes
Goldyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 20:39   #10
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
You can't win on this one.
If the car is too old or not expensive enough then they think the company isn't doing well and may be at risk of going under.

If too new or expensive then they think they are paying too much

My choice would be the car allowance.
If you know how much the car allowance is that you would get you can have a chat with a few dealers and see what they will offer on a business lease deal.
It doesn't need to be brand new and you can include maintenance as part of the deal and you still keep your NCB
Tax implications are usually better this way round to.
It all depends on how many miles you will be doing and what suits you though
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote